tunes/performance

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 06:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the Screw FX4 w/ 3:73's. 275/65/18 BFG T/A's. I can say that I have never gotten 20 mpg's and never thought I would.

As for before and after...dont really know because I added stuff little by little. I do know that as it stands now I get around 14 in town and 17 give or take on the highway. That's doin around 80mph. Also, I did just have some adjustments made to my tune and am getting almost another.5mpg in town so the highway will probably be the same improvement. Hope that helps.

Last edited by Drkharbinger; 02-08-2009 at 04:40 AM.
Old 02-08-2009, 04:13 AM
That's great if you can get 17 on the highway w/ 3.73's in a SCrew. My dad's got an '05 like that and I think it gets 14-16 city/highway, no mods. I only got 20 mpg about 2 times, very surprisingly when I first bought the truck too, and it was all highway driving. Ever since then it was always 17 or 18 at best on the highway.

Old 02-08-2009, 04:42 AM
I am very happy. Justin did good work. That is all highway driving while on raod trips. My usual in town was around 12, but I have been working on backing off and did some fuel adjustments and am getting much better mpgs now.

Old 02-08-2009, 08:59 AM
Ive got 20.3 before on a trip to canada with the cruise set at 68mph that was last summer with gas at 4.00. My average is 18mpg now with mods up from 17 but the improvements came from city driving more than highway.Keep in mind that I live in nh mostly country roads 35-50 range very few traffic lights etc.

Old 02-09-2009, 04:33 PM
fitz i'm impressed w/ that. mine is a scab while yours is a screw, and it looks like you've got close to the same size tires/wheels as me. i live where there is a mix depending on where you're at, in town there are a lot of close traffic lights, but once you get outside of town you may be cruising 45-55 mph nonstop depending on time of day and whether any boneheads are in front of you poking, turning off, etc.

did any of you guys run your trucks for very long after getting bigger tires/wheels and before you got your tunes? if so, did you ever figure up what your false readings were for mpg?

Old 02-09-2009, 06:42 PM
Former Sponsor
Originally Posted by higdog
Ok so this is going to be written just so I can see if I'm getting all this straight-

What would be the difference between a 'programmer' and the name brand products you all are mentioning? I see that the products you are talking about have the custom tunes available and so it seems like that is why everyone is high on them, right?

So basically, if I were a Ford service tech with the knowledge, then I could pretty much fix and reprogram my truck's computer exactly like these custom tunes you are talking about and skip out on the $400+ costs that everyone is paying right now?? I take it that these 2 companies that do all the tunes do it very well but that it is a pretty specialized thing right now and they are making bank on it?

With those things in mind, I just need like 1 tune, period, for right now. Is it not possible that businesses somewhere have these types of programmers and that I could just go pay them to reprogram/tune my truck for like $100 or something? I just don't need the programmer more than once or twice ever, and I'm not going to play with the settings all the time unless my driving/workload habits change (very unlikely, i have older truck for use). I do understand though from everyone that it is much better to have something that is custom tuned to your specific vehicle and it's mods. Is this one of those things where you have to bite the bullet and shell out a bunch more money after you thought you were finished modding your truck?
Hey Higdog,

Bill at PHP can reflash your truck's PCM with one brand new custom tune. Where are you in TN? He will be near Murfreesboro next weekend teaching a tuning class and live tuning a truck.

We live just east of Atlanta, so if you're on the eastern side of the state, we're just a hop, skip, and a jump away. And the price you mentioned -- that's actually what we charge for a reflash.

Old 02-11-2009, 03:35 AM
groovy, sorry i am even more confused now. everyone is saying i need a tuner/programmer and then custom tunes on top of that, but are you saying you can do it w/ a reflash kinda like i was talking about earlier w/o having to buy a tuner and all? that's what i thought someone could do if the person knows what they're doing, right? you might have to explain it all to me, what i am understanding is that you can take care of what i need w/ my bigger tires/wheels with your programmer onto my truck and i pay you and that's the end of it- it is on there forever until someone reflashes my computer again or unless i buy a tuner and custom tunes?? this would be like what a service tech could do except it is my understanding that even the service tech's are probably not very good at tuning these trucks properly, but everyone says bill is great?? if all that is correct, then i would be more than happy to drive to murfreesboro to do this- it is about 2 hours to the west of me. what is the date and time he will be in murfreesboro? thanks!

Old 02-11-2009, 11:04 AM
Former Sponsor
groovy, sorry i am even more confused now. everyone is saying i need a tuner/programmer and then custom tunes on top of that, but are you saying you can do it w/ a reflash kinda like i was talking about earlier w/o having to buy a tuner and all? that's what i thought someone could do if the person knows what they're doing, right? you might have to explain it all to me, what i am understanding is that you can take care of what i need w/ my bigger tires/wheels with your programmer onto my truck and i pay you and that's the end of it- it is on there forever until someone reflashes my computer again or unless i buy a tuner and custom tunes?? this would be like what a service tech could do except it is my understanding that even the service tech's are probably not very good at tuning these trucks properly, but everyone says bill is great?? if all that is correct, then i would be more than happy to drive to murfreesboro to do this- it is about 2 hours to the west of me. what is the date and time he will be in murfreesboro? thanks!
Why don't you give us a shout -- after noon EST -- today... 678-963-9913, and Bill can explain what he can do for you.

Old 02-11-2009, 05:18 PM
sorry, i just now saw this and i am in the central time zone, so it's probably too late today. i'll try to call tomorrow. thanks

Old 02-11-2009, 05:49 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hi, higdogg. It's been a while...

Old 02-11-2009, 06:30 PM
Former Sponsor
sorry, i just now saw this and i am in the central time zone, so it's probably too late today. i'll try to call tomorrow. thanks
We take calls until 9PM EST.