should i get edge?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 10:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
should i get edge?

ive been hearing alot about the new edge evo and i think i need one. can anyone who owns one tell me how they like it?

Old 05-23-2007, 10:24 AM
No! Go with the Xcal II and Troyer custom tunes for the same amount of money. Custom tunes made specifically for your vehicle vice canned tunes made for every F150 out there on the road.

Old 05-23-2007, 10:37 AM
OR if money is tight and you don't feel like waiting two months, the edge isn't bad at all. i took my diablo off and put on the attitude. definitely not bad at all. it will give you some really good pick up gains.

but sigh, yes, if you feel like waiting two months and spending a little more money, go with troyer. damn good people over there

Old 05-23-2007, 10:39 AM
It is a good unit for a "canned programmer." It also provides gauges. As a canned programmer it won't provide you with optimal power increases but it does a good job for an off the shelf unit. So if you need to get a programmer now, then it is the one to get. If you an wait six or so weeks, then a XCal2 with a proper custom tune is the wat to go. You could also get a XCal2 unit that includes canned tunes to use while custom tunes are written.

I have both an Edge Evo and Xcal2 with Troyer custom tunes. I have been using the Evo for its gauges running my 93 octane max performance tune. I hope this reply helps.

Old 05-23-2007, 10:47 AM
in the XCal II how can you make custom tunes, what kinds of questions does it ask

Old 05-23-2007, 10:54 AM
no, on the custom tune, you call troyers and they take down all your info on your truck, then they send you the tune that you upload to programmer, then you put it in your truck

Old 05-23-2007, 11:04 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by zhoova928
in the XCal II how can you make custom tunes, what kinds of questions does it ask
You can't. How it works basically is someone with the right software and knowledge writes the code specific to your vehicle, and that string of code or "tune" is loaded into the X-cal II unit. You then use the x-cal II to load that tune into your vehicle. You can also alter the tune to accomadate different gaers or tire sizes etc. An X-cal II is available that has preloaded canned tunes that you can use while you wait for the custom tunes to be written, then you just load them into your x-cal when you get them.

If you have any mods that require special tuning, like an Air Force One intake in a 3.5" size, then you can not install the intake until you get the custom tunes that have the alterations to the mass air transfer function written into them so you don't throw a code.

Last edited by 05RedFX4; 05-23-2007 at 11:13 AM.
Old 05-23-2007, 01:45 PM
I got my edge last friday, put it in the truck then hitched TT up and left for vacation. Well I love the edge. If i did not need the extra gauges that the edge gives ya I might have went with the other custom tunes. But if your like me, and would like to have the gauges that the edge gives ya its a good tuner. good luck

Old 05-23-2007, 10:58 PM
Go with Troyer, he knows what he is doing. If you go with the Edge make sure you program your truck in the dealership parking lot, you will save yourself $75 on the tow when it does not work right and you need to reflash your truck. To many people have had to many problems with their Edges, go with what is a known fact to work great in these trucks. Troyer Performance!

Old 05-23-2007, 11:25 PM
when I got my edge, I never had any problems with it and loved it... now is just sits in the corner of my dash and looks pretty giving me 4 extra guages... can't use it anymore after Roush Racing re-programmed my pcm for my supercharger.

Old 05-23-2007, 11:36 PM
Originally Posted by Andy-jr.
Go with Troyer, he knows what he is doing. If you go with the Edge make sure you program your truck in the dealership parking lot, you will save yourself $75 on the tow when it does not work right and you need to reflash your truck. To many people have had to many problems with their Edges, go with what is a known fact to work great in these trucks. Troyer Performance!
Speaking of reflashes. Yeah it happened to me and actually it was 78$. But when my edge isn't screwing up my truck I love it.
It does add *****. But I should have went with troyer.

Old 05-24-2007, 09:06 AM
how much would troyer cost me??

Old 05-24-2007, 09:12 AM
o yeah and another thing...
why would they have to reflash my truck with edge??

Old 05-24-2007, 12:51 PM
Originally Posted by zhoova928
o yeah and another thing...
why would they have to reflash my truck with edge??
I think what Andy was refering to was he may have taken his truck into the dealship and they reflashed the computer while it was on a power level setting from edge. When you take you truck in for any work remember to put it back to the factory settings. When you get your truck back, then you reload your power level setting that you had before. If dealer reflashes you PCM with and Edge program, you will loose those settings and you will have to get them back from Edge, which is what I think Andy was talking about.

Old 05-24-2007, 01:41 PM
I would suggest you do a little research........................There are good & bad points for both devices.

Quick Reply: should i get edge?