Just ordered the Xcal but Im a little confused!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 03:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RoyalBlues
Where can I take a look at this X cal programmer?

http://www.sctflash.com/product_xc2.php

Old 10-12-2006, 07:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RoyalBlues
Where can I take a look at this X cal programmer?
Check out this group buy that is happening right now

Troyer Performance Group Buy

Old 10-16-2006, 12:41 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi BrewDude (I think that's the gentleman who started this thread?),

If you do not tow with regularity, then we suggest having an 87 octane performance tune, then a premium gas towing-compatible tune for those few times when you do tow, so that you will have maximum power to tow with, and then last, a premium gas performance tune.

The idea being, select your tunes according to how you will be using YOUR vehicle - not according to what anyone else does, as that does not matter.

Now if you were going to be towing on a regular basis, then I would suggest having 2 towing tunes - one for 87, and then another for premium gas, so that you would have additional flexibility for towing on a frequent basis, and then have a premium gas performance tune.

One way to make this very simple is to just get an extra tune - order 4 instead of 3, and store the extra you are not using on your hard drive - in that case, I would do 87 tow, 87 performance, then premium gas tow, and premium gas performance.

If you are going to stick with 3 tunes, which is what most do, then make your choice based on how frequently you tow - if it's not often, then simply have a premium gas towing tune so that you have max power for those few times you might need to tow - and then have performance tunes for both regular and premium gas.

So it all gets down to how much you tow, really, in making that selection.

Last - as for a "drag race" type of tune - we generally recommend that for the more heavily modified vehicles that are actually drag racing (especially those with a good torque converter, like a PI unit so we can turn more rpms safely, like engines with ported cylinder heads and/or supercharged, etc. It seems to make the most sense for those who spend whatever it takes to get every last horsepower because they want to go as quick & fast as they can. Otherwise, I feel a "drag race" tune is not going to make much sense, not on a stock vehicle, or even on one with say, an intake kit & a cat-back exhaust system - a normally aspirated vehicle with stock cylinder heads that is going to be running on pump gas sees the least benefit, generally speaking, though there can be a few exceptions. See, unless the vehicle is supercharged, or has ported heads (and if it's an automatic, has a good torque converter so we can spin it higher safely) we're not going to make any more power on pump gas with a drag race tune than with a premium gas "performance" tune - on a vehicle like that, it's really more a matter of altering other areas differently that will make the truck accelerate a *little* bit quicker - maybe a tenth or two. The more heavily the vehicle is modified and the higher octane fuel is used in a supercharged application, then the more a drag race type of tune makes a difference. Personally, I really prefer to see a "drag race" type of tune reserved for heavily modified and/or supercharged vehicles, as that is where it makes more sense, and has the potential to deliver a bit more difference, providing the truck can hook up leaving the line and cut a mean 60' time.

I hope that heps your understanding a bit better!

Old 10-16-2006, 03:13 PM
Originally Posted by Superchips_Distributor
Hi BrewDude (I think that's the gentleman who started this thread?),

If you do not tow with regularity, then we suggest having an 87 octane performance tune, then a premium gas towing-compatible tune for those few times when you do tow, so that you will have maximum power to tow with, and then last, a premium gas performance tune.

The idea being, select your tunes according to how you will be using YOUR vehicle - not according to what anyone else does, as that does not matter.

Now if you were going to be towing on a regular basis, then I would suggest having 2 towing tunes - one for 87, and then another for premium gas, so that you would have additional flexibility for towing on a frequent basis, and then have a premium gas performance tune.

One way to make this very simple is to just get an extra tune - order 4 instead of 3, and store the extra you are not using on your hard drive - in that case, I would do 87 tow, 87 performance, then premium gas tow, and premium gas performance.

If you are going to stick with 3 tunes, which is what most do, then make your choice based on how frequently you tow - if it's not often, then simply have a premium gas towing tune so that you have max power for those few times you might need to tow - and then have performance tunes for both regular and premium gas.

So it all gets down to how much you tow, really, in making that selection.

Last - as for a "drag race" type of tune - we generally recommend that for the more heavily modified vehicles that are actually drag racing (especially those with a good torque converter, like a PI unit so we can turn more rpms safely, like engines with ported cylinder heads and/or supercharged, etc. It seems to make the most sense for those who spend whatever it takes to get every last horsepower because they want to go as quick & fast as they can. Otherwise, I feel a "drag race" tune is not going to make much sense, not on a stock vehicle, or even on one with say, an intake kit & a cat-back exhaust system - a normally aspirated vehicle with stock cylinder heads that is going to be running on pump gas sees the least benefit, generally speaking, though there can be a few exceptions. See, unless the vehicle is supercharged, or has ported heads (and if it's an automatic, has a good torque converter so we can spin it higher safely) we're not going to make any more power on pump gas with a drag race tune than with a premium gas "performance" tune - on a vehicle like that, it's really more a matter of altering other areas differently that will make the truck accelerate a *little* bit quicker - maybe a tenth or two. The more heavily the vehicle is modified and the higher octane fuel is used in a supercharged application, then the more a drag race type of tune makes a difference. Personally, I really prefer to see a "drag race" type of tune reserved for heavily modified and/or supercharged vehicles, as that is where it makes more sense, and has the potential to deliver a bit more difference, providing the truck can hook up leaving the line and cut a mean 60' time.

I hope that heps your understanding a bit better!

Mike, thanks so much for your response. Thats exactly the info I was looking for. And patiently waiting for I've decided to make a change and go with the 87perf, 93 perf and 93 tow and have already talked to Crystal about it. Thanks again..now if I can only find a way to make the next 4 to 5 weeks go by real fast I'll be doing good.

BREW

Old 10-16-2006, 05:00 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You're more than welcome, & we'll get it done just as quickly as possible.

Now we just need to get this truck with a full-out race motor done, and then another Troyer Stage 5 truck done, and then another supercharged 2004 5.4 3V truck, and then a couple more Mustangs with nitrous & heads, and then............well, you know how it goes. (I just had to rub it in to tease you a bit!)

Hang in there, we'll get it done as soon as possible, my friend - and thanks for your business!

Old 10-16-2006, 05:28 PM
LMAO..thats just wrong man..wrong I say

At least I am now another day closer to getting it...this is worse than being 8 years old, waiting for Santa to come

BREW

Old 10-16-2006, 11:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BREWDUDE
LMAO..thats just wrong man..wrong I say

At least I am now another day closer to getting it...this is worse than being 8 years old, waiting for Santa to come

BREW
No chit, and i held up my end of the deal man and ordered it today. I told you if you did i would.

OH, Anita did say she would slip mine ahead of yours since i have a Lariat

Old 10-17-2006, 05:58 PM
Originally Posted by trytokeepup
No chit, and i held up my end of the deal man and ordered it today. I told you if you did i would.

OH, Anita did say she would slip mine ahead of yours since i have a Lariat

Thats fine...I know those Foo Foo Lariats need it more than I do...I'll wait for you, just like on the highway..muahahahahaha

BREW

Old 10-17-2006, 08:21 PM
Originally Posted by Zaairman
Whaa??
What part didnt you get?

Old 10-17-2006, 08:25 PM
Originally Posted by 98Navi
What part didnt you get?
What exactly those tunes were cause none of us had ever heard of them

Old 10-17-2006, 09:20 PM
The 93 bad gas is just that, a tune in case I get a tank of chitty gas and don't want to hurry up and detonate my way to a lightning block.

Street 93 is a street performance tune, for romping around town (I don't care for the torque converter lockup functions on this one, it annoys me)

Kick A$$ as I called it, Is MAX PERFORMANCE tune. Its where everything is dialed up and the supercharger is huffing like hell. I run it daily.

Old 10-18-2006, 02:48 AM
Originally Posted by Patman03SprCrw
Since when does TP have a group buy going again? How much this go around? Too bad i really really want to get rims first....
-Patrick
Rims will be there later man. The group buy won't. Make it worth while for Mike and order the X-Cal 2 now and the rims later.

Quick Reply: Just ordered the Xcal but Im a little confused!!!