Best EDGE price? Troyer Question?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 08:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Best EDGE price? Troyer Question?

Hi all! This site is VERY addictive to Newbie F-150 owners! SHAME on you fellas!

OK, I want to preface everything by stating that I fully understand there is no substitute for datalogging and programming each truck individually. I agree!

However, plenty of guys seem to be getting great results with the EDGE Evolution straight outta the box. Combine that with the cool mounting pod and all the real time telemetry, not to mention the decent prices that are available, and I am thinkin "How could I go wrong?" Other than a couple of ponies here and there (see my preface statement), How can I go wrong with the EDGE? Here is your chance to persuade me one way or the other!!! Where can I find the best deals on EDGE products??

Here is Troyer Question. 1st: See preface statement. OK. Based on your countless hours of tuning vehicles from around the country is it possible for you offer "pretty darn close" custom tunes based on an individual truck's mods (or lack of) and the trucks location, specifically altitude above sea level? I don't think this question is too far fetched, but maybe it is...

Just finished 1st mod... Gobson cat-back exhaust SISO. Very pleased! Good price, simple installation (except for couple of "minor" items will share upon request!), understated and confident sound, glad to not to have Flowmaster drone at cruising speeds

Thanks guys!!
'06 F-150 FX-4 SuperCab 5.4L

Last edited by zx200driver; 04-23-2006 at 07:41 AM.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:57 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, it seems like you've pretty much already answered your own question, basically.

As you already know, there is no comparison to *any* off the shelf device, including the Edge, versus our custom tuning - we have proved that time & again at our public dyno days, and we have a significant number of customers who abandoned their Edge units (and other units) to go with our custom tuning so they could get the best - and are very happy they did.

Now as to whether or not you will need to datalog your vehicle after we tune it, that is really a matter of it's exact mechanical configuration, so you will need to call us to discuss that in proper detail to get the most accurate information.

There are 3 specific intake kits that, if either of them are used, we really don't need to have the datalogging done - that being said, the datalogging is so easy to do that it's almost foolish not to do it. To give you a rough idea, here at our last dyno day event weekend before last, roughly 80% of the trucks here were vehicles that I had already tuned thru "mail order" and they did not require *any* changes to their tuning once we got them on the dyno and datalogged them - *that* is how spot-on we can be due to the fact that we have tuned far more F-150's than anyone else, and have specialized in this platform longer than anyone else, 14+ years.

In fact, there really isn't anyone else that has our knowledge & capabilities who truly specializes in these vehicles (though a number claim to), which is probably why we get the results that we do - and thus why so many F-150 owner come to us for their performance needs, and why a number of manufacturers hire us to help them develop their applications for these vehicles (and no, we don't give them what we give our direct customers, that will never happen - we just help get them pointed in a god direction).

If you want cheap products & average results, then we're not the people to come to - we're the people to come to when you want the *best*. There is no off the shelf product that can provide the performance gains, driveability, etc., that our custom tuning does, end of story.

It doesn't cost much more to get the best, and as anyone who reads these boards can quickly see from our thousands of customers who have posted here, it's hands down the way to go for anyone who really cares about the best safe & sustainable performance gains for their expensive new vehicles.

Best of luck whatever you decide!

Old 04-21-2006, 01:32 PM
What can I say?

Ever consider a career in politics?

Old 04-21-2006, 05:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by zx200driver
Ever consider a career in politics?
Mike's the official F150 Wizard....

I'm also one that kicked EDGE to the curb for Troyer's Custom Tuning , there is no comparing the two.. not in the same ball park... Hell, not even in the same stadium for that fact....

Old 04-22-2006, 12:37 AM
Comparison

Its all talk boys.......Talk is cheap......F150 Edge High Performance #1 smoked a xcal2.....I seen it, cause I done it.

Old 04-22-2006, 02:34 AM
Old 04-22-2006, 02:38 AM
Originally Posted by F150Truck'in
Mike's the official F150 Wizard....

I'm also one that kicked EDGE to the curb for Troyer's Custom Tuning , there is no comparing the two.. not in the same ball park... Hell, not even in the same stadium for that fact....
Just out of curiousity, what kind of real world improvements did you gain as far as 0-60, 1/4 mile, 30-50, 50-60mph, ect... I'm not hear to knock the troyer, but looking to see if its a worth while investment. Thanks.....

Old 04-22-2006, 10:52 AM
Originally Posted by Motopro292
Just out of curiousity, what kind of real world improvements did you gain as far as 0-60, 1/4 mile, 30-50, 50-60mph, ect... I'm not hear to knock the troyer, but looking to see if its a worth while investment. Thanks.....
Ok, let me say, I'm not going to get pulled into a Troyer vs EDGE debate...
All I'm going to say is I was asked a question and I'm going to give an answer

EDGE...
Much trouble with updates and many no starts....
Do you know if your A/F is in a safe range?? probably not....
Do you know if Trans Pressure is in a safe range?? probably not....
All throttle lag gone?? probably not....
and there is many more "probably nots"

I have yet to see a EDGE Dataloged on a Dyno, including A/F .

Until thats done, you don't know.... and if I had to do all that with Edge,
I would rather do it with Troyer Tuned XCal2, a proven flash device, programmed by a proven F-platform turner.... Mike...

264RWHP/325RWTQ, A/F is within 3% of commanded thought out the power band, more drivable, better shifting, no throttle lag.. more pin you in the seat feeling, than I ever got from EDGE... Oh yes, did I mention the ability
to spin tires now..... Meaning more power......

real world improvements would be knowing 100% that your truck is tuned for Max Performance and is operating within safety limits....not damaging your motor or drivetrain......

As far as times, I'm not into that, I'm into Drivability, Power, Upshifting, Downshifting and NO throttle lag....Its not a race truck......

I'm sure EDGE is good for some, not for others... Cheaper...

Troyer's XCal2... more money, but also knowing your truck is safely tuned, if you Datalog it....

anyway, thats my 2 cents.....

Old 04-22-2006, 11:10 AM
If you are not willing to go through the trouble of data-logging on a dyno, then neither one of them is better than the other.

If you just want a tuner, and don't plan on going to the next step, the canned tunes that come preloaded in both of these units will give you similar performance gains.

The Xcal2 offers the extra step, and therefore offers a better final result.

Only you (the individual) can determine if you are wiling to do the data-logging required for the "Custom Tune" offered by the Xcal2.

Old 04-22-2006, 12:20 PM
Originally Posted by Kool Aid
If you are not willing to go through the trouble of data-logging on a dyno, then neither one of them is better than the other.

If you just want a tuner, and don't plan on going to the next step, the canned tunes that come preloaded in both of these units will give you similar performance gains.

The Xcal2 offers the extra step, and therefore offers a better final result.

Only you (the individual) can determine if you are wiling to do the data-logging required for the "Custom Tune" offered by the Xcal2.

Kool Aid, Well Put..!!!! I Agree 100 %

Old 04-23-2006, 01:59 AM
Originally Posted by Coozer
Its all talk boys.......Talk is cheap......F150 Edge High Performance #1 smoked a xcal2.....I seen it, cause I done it.
saw and did.

Old 04-23-2006, 07:39 AM
I am curious XCAL2 onwners.....

I am not here to run anybody down.... only curious! I am trying to make a decision here...

TP tuned XCAL2 owners... After you buy the tuner, do the dyno datalogging, get custom tunes and install them.... What is your final price in the whole ordeal? Not asking for you to reveal Troyer deals... but, What is the total cost you have in your custom tunes? Add evverything up... tuner, dyno, whatever else...

THANK YOU!!

Old 04-23-2006, 07:59 AM
Troyer question... please...

Mr. Troyer,
In an above response you mentioned that.."There are 3 specific intake kits that, if either of them are used, we really don't need to have the datalogging done "

Which 3 are you referring too?

Maybe one of you other guys know the answer. If so, chunk in a response...

THANX!!

Old 04-23-2006, 09:53 AM
The threads have the answer just keep searching

Last edited by TSDan; 04-23-2006 at 09:59 AM.
Old 04-23-2006, 10:18 AM
Originally Posted by zx200driver
Mr. Troyer,
In an above response you mentioned that.."There are 3 specific intake kits that, if either of them are used, we really don't need to have the datalogging done "

Which 3 are you referring too?

Maybe one of you other guys know the answer. If so, chunk in a response...

THANX!!
Is that because they don't improve the airflow enough to matter

Quick Reply: Best EDGE price? Troyer Question?