Why NOT k&n

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2005, 09:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why NOT k&n -- Mike T

I was just curious why airraid or af1, why not use k&n? What is their problem? Looking to purchase an intake soon, have had great results with k&n in the past.

Last edited by Squeakers; 09-26-2005 at 09:35 PM.
Old 09-26-2005, 10:49 PM
theres nothing wrong with K&N people just like what they like, myself I have a 77 series witch works fine for me just do a search and get what suits you best there all good no matter what one you pick up2004 FX4

Old 09-27-2005, 08:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go for the Air Force One and just get it over with

Old 09-27-2005, 09:11 PM
YES, Air Force one its the greatest.

Old 09-27-2005, 09:46 PM
What rational decisions are your opinions based on? Personally I like to research the facts before I make any decision. If someone would PLEASE give me a rational and logical decision why I should go with the AF1 and not K&N. I would personally like to hear from Mike T on this.

Old 09-27-2005, 09:52 PM
AF1 generates the most power, thats why i got it.

Old 09-28-2005, 07:31 AM
Originally Posted by Squeakers
(Snip
Personally I like to research the facts before I make any decision.
Well in that case, ultimately you’ll make the appropriate decision

Old 09-28-2005, 07:45 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Squeakers
What rational decisions are your opinions based on? Personally I like to research the facts before I make any decision. If someone would PLEASE give me a rational and logical decision why I should go with the AF1 and not K&N. I would personally like to hear from Mike T on this.
I agree with JP;

If you are indeed willing to do the research as you stated, then start using the extensive Search features here. You'll dig up more than you ever wanted to know on this subject, including many posts from Mike reagrding his already-stated position. It's not reasonable to expect folks to re-type again, and again, and again, the same info.

Joey, buddy - no barbs, please - he did ask for it

Okay? Your journey to enlightenment starts here...

http://www.troyerperformance.com/cgi...atalogno=16418

Cheers!
Square Wheel, no axle

Old 09-28-2005, 11:22 AM
Yep Vic, he did ASK for it.

Things change, though. Archives are history. Good foundation to build upon. However, current info can make or break our decisions.

Read Labnerds stuff. Says Seafoam is crap. *Said* to use Techron if any additive. Now *says* use Berryman. What?

Vietnam is over. Now, we are in Iraq. Same game, new tactics. And players.

BTW, no barbs on this hook. Catch and release.

Joey

Old 09-28-2005, 11:28 AM
If had to do it all over again, I think I'd buy the K&N. I'm a current AF1 owner...

Old 09-28-2005, 11:30 AM
Originally Posted by dzervit
If had to do it all over again, I think I'd buy the K&N. I'm a current AF1 owner...
that's a good one

Old 09-28-2005, 11:39 AM
Originally Posted by jpdadeo
that's a good one
I think he's serious. I don't see any or or in his post.

Old 09-28-2005, 11:41 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Hiya D;

Interesting position.

If you did that, would your 'Hemi-stomping' days be over?

I believe one of your concerns was heat retention, and the other, noise ?

Do you have any evidence to suggest K&N does better in those areas? From what I've read, the AF1 design exibited one of the lowest IAT rises of any aftermarket intake tested ( by Mike Troyer).

Noise does seem to be problematic for some folks. I can't really hear mine over my Maggie, though, but my truck wouldn't be as quiet as your newer one anyway, so I bet there's some masking going on.

I like shiney & fast myself - my AF1 delivers on both counts

For Joey: thanks for the reprieve - I reserve the right to continue being a pest, though

Cheers
Look Ma, no Search!

Old 09-28-2005, 06:56 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
First - this is the Chips & Programming section - not the intake section.

Second - nothing has changed - if you want the best intake kit in terms of actual results and quality of the raw material, it's aircraft-grade mirror-polished T304 S/S can't be beat - so those wanting the best generally use the Air Force One on any 1997 & newer F-150.

By the way - this isn't Vietnam, this is F-150 Online. Nor is our data 30 years old, very poor analogy.

We've seen all 23 intake kits currently shipping for this 5.4 3V truck - most are crap, with a few that are safe to use - but the only 2 we support and recommend are the Air Force One and the Airaid units. AF1 is our pick hands down.

Old 09-28-2005, 07:26 PM
Another very important thing to remember is one way to make more power is with more oxygen and fuel. More oxygen comes from an aftermarket intake kit such as the AF1 or K&N.

Just because one may flow more air, or larger volume of air with the same cubic inches does not necessarily mean it is better. It may provide for more horsepower but more horsepower means a trade off with something else, in this case that could mean more dirt particles entering the motor.

I am not sure of the flow rates for AF1 or K&N or their cubic inches but here is something easy to remember:

If they both had the same cubic inches of opening and say the AF1 flowed more does not mean its better but may mean it allows more air through the filter. More air through the filter means more dirt particles into the motor (not good).

It is always a trade off, if you want more air for more power you will have a dirtier motor because you will never be able to get more air that has less dirt particles flowing into the combustion chamber…

What should be important is what a particular air filter will flow and what size particles it will trap or not trap. Only then should you worry about polished intakes and their materials because if the filter is letting in a lot of dirt particles it don’t matter how well the air flows since it could reduce the life of the motor…