Why NOT k&n

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2005, 07:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The reason AF1 has more airflow is because it uses a bigger “power stack” filter. The K&N filter isn’t a “power stack” design and it’s smaller. Both filters are made out of the same cotton gauze material and both use oil to trap dirt.

Old 09-28-2005, 08:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MGDfan
Hiya D;

Interesting position.

If you did that, would your 'Hemi-stomping' days be over?

I believe one of your concerns was heat retention, and the other, noise ?

Do you have any evidence to suggest K&N does better in those areas? From what I've read, the AF1 design exibited one of the lowest IAT rises of any aftermarket intake tested ( by Mike Troyer).
Well, I beat a HEMI pre-AF1 AND Magnaflow... a 1714 max perf tune and K&N drop in is all it took to squeak out a stop light to stop light win 3 consecutive times with the same truck. It's by FAR not accurate, but it put a smile on my face. After the maggie and AF1 I'm able to record 1/4 times that are equal to a HEMI's (See the thread "TT Performance #s, Post AF1 in the '04-06 forum).

Noise is a huge issue with me. It was the loudest, most obnoxious noise I've ever heard from an engine bay... After my first wave of sound proofing it's almost tolerable. A little more and it should be good. My tube is not shiney anymore due to the soundproofing.

As for the IAT temps... eh.. it doesn't matter what the tube is made out of. You can make it out of cardboard for pete's sake, with the volume of air that rushed through the tube at WOT cancel's out any effect of heat soak by the tube. The bigger concern is getting cooler air into the tube...

I'd get the K&N for the following reasons:

1. Build quality. I haven't seen or heard one bad thing about the K&N kits. No dremmeling this, smoothing that, trying to get this to line up whatever way. The AF1 wasn't horrid, but didn't exactly scream quality or well engineered. The details really hurt it's initial impression with me.

2. The K&N has GOT to be quieter. The laws of phyics say it must be due to the materials used for the intake tube.

3. K&N has been in the biz for 35 years. Well respected and have never disappionted me in the past. Everything about the AF1 has 'mom & pop' written all over it... the QC of the product, the website, everything...

Soooo... that's my impression. Yeah the AF1 puts out a few more ponies... but I'm just not sure the trade-offs are worth it. Plus the K&N is cheaper and several members love it, none have said anything bad about it (unlike the AF1).

That's my take. I'm no expert, just a nerd consumer.

Old 09-28-2005, 08:44 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I sold the AF1 and went back to a K&N dropin and the DWV intake. Main problem was the AF1 was too loud while towing the travel trailer. I second all of the observations that dzervit stated regarding the quality of the AF1.

Old 09-28-2005, 09:44 PM
That is another important point to look at which is the open filter in the engine bay. If it is sucking in air from the engine bay it will affect Ľ mile times negatively. It’s a simple fact that you will first suck in some hot air from the engine bay and hot air equals less horsepower. There is no data that states otherwise.

Now, within a few seconds you will get cooler air but in the Ľ mile or stop light to stop light you will lose time no other data to support otherwise.

Cold air intake systems are the best for performance and there is data to support that. Cold air intakes do not ever suck air from a hot engine bay. Even when you are moving you will normally always have air in the engine bay that is above ambient temperatures outside the engine bay.

Some simple data logging will back that up. Data log some city and highway driving with an under hood open element in the engine bay and compare that with data logging from a “true” cold air intake which gets all its air from outside the engine bay. The cold air system will always provide the most “average” horsepower and torque gains, there is no data to prove otherwise.

If you like a louder motor, and some people do, nothing wrong with that, go for the open element under the hood. If you are looking for true horsepower gains then you need to look at “true” cold air induction systems that never get their air from under the hood. The colder the air the more horsepower, that has always been true and will continue to be so just look at any professional racing circuit and one thing you will not find is open elements air induction systems sucking hot air from an engine compartment…

Old 09-28-2005, 09:52 PM
Originally Posted by jpdadeo
The reason AF1 has more airflow is because it uses a bigger “power stack” filter. The K&N filter isn’t a “power stack” design and it’s smaller. Both filters are made out of the same cotton gauze material and both use oil to trap dirt.
So that backs my earlier post. What you’re saying is the AF1 has more cubic inches of filter. If the material is the same as K&N then you’re getting more air volume to the motor. However while doing so you are also sucking in some more dirt particles.

That’s not to say an AF1 is going to hurt a motor. Also due to the larger volume or air is why is has a few more hp. It doesn’t really matter what tubes are made of etc. All you need to do to get a few more hp is to suck in more air.

Unless someone has a highly modified truck there is no rocket science behind air intakes and as stated the only reason an AF1 may have a few more hp is simple it allows more air into the motor.

However you could take that same AF1 open element filter and put it against a K&N drop in and I bet you would see equal hp or more hp from the drop in K&N simple because of having a cold air intake…

Old 09-28-2005, 10:05 PM
Originally Posted by 01 XLT Sport
(Snip
However you could take that same AF1 open element filter and put it against a K&N drop in and I bet you would see equal hp or more hp from the drop in K&N simple because of having a cold air intake…
You’re dreaming

Old 09-29-2005, 12:37 AM
i've heard both AF1 on a co-workers truck(not mine yet, i ordered it 2 days ago) and another co-worker has the K&N.. i dont think the AF1 was any louder and i dont know what your noise tolerances are.. but to me the AF1 or the KN wasnt that loud when he hammered it.

Old 09-29-2005, 01:24 AM
It's a debate with NO clear answer....I like the Airaid!!

Old 09-29-2005, 06:12 AM
Originally Posted by JerseyGeorge
It's a debate with NO clear answer....I like the Airaid!!
Maybe so but one thing known for sure, AF1 makes the most hp & torque

Old 09-29-2005, 06:32 AM
I have the K&N, I love it. I do wish it had a bigger filter or maybe the kind with the end not being chrome and having a filter there as well. You can hear it sucking air, but it's not overly loud.

Old 09-29-2005, 07:22 AM
Old 09-29-2005, 07:47 AM
Thanks JPDADEO. Is this the same material as a K&N? Just wondering for cleaning and re-oiling purposes. Thanks again.

Old 09-29-2005, 09:22 AM
Suspended
so Mike T you say that the *your* pick is the AF1...do you have any data to give ppl to show that the IAT temps are lower then any other intake setup? its your opinion that is the best but show customers why it is...sure the kit might have more hp on the dyno but how does it compare to other kits during normal day driving?

the average Joe sitting in traffic on hot day doesnt care how much hp he has and how purty it is if he is seeing 100+ IAT temps

Old 09-29-2005, 09:49 AM
Originally Posted by raider
so Mike T you say that the *your* pick is the AF1...do you have any data to give ppl to show that the IAT temps are lower then any other intake setup? its your opinion that is the best but show customers why it is...sure the kit might have more hp on the dyno but how does it compare to other kits during normal day driving?

the average Joe sitting in traffic on hot day doesnt care how much hp he has and how purty it is if he is seeing 100+ IAT temps
Are you interested in purchasing an intake kit? Will you ever stop trying to discredit TP on this forum?

Old 09-29-2005, 09:52 AM
Originally Posted by hwm3
Are you interested in purchasing an intake kit? Will you ever stop trying to discredit TP on this forum?
To answer your questions.......No and No. Some people just won't go away.