1714 gas question- me, a bit ocnfused

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2005, 12:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1714 newbie

Just got my 1714 today...question before I start messing with my baby (F150 2004 5.4 supercrew lariat). I just got it filled up with 87 octane. Does that mean that I have to wait until I consume all the 87 octane to program to 91? Sounds stupid but just want to make sure.

Secondly, do you have the right instructions for my specifications for disabling the fuel system. It only shows 2004 F150 Heritage which is not the same location of the fuse. Please clarify...I would like to tune my truck as soon a possible. Thanks.

Old 02-08-2005, 07:32 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
RTFM... ;-))

Hi.

1. DON'T use the 91 octane tune until you go thru your tank of 87 and refill with ( 91 minimum ) premium; the previous posts made that abundantly clear. You CAN, however, play with the 87-octane tune right away; at least you will experience the shifting benefits.

2. Your best source for accurate fuse location is your vehicle's specific owners manual.

cheers

Old 02-09-2005, 03:56 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Fordaway2go,

Congrats on your 2004 5.4 3V SuperCrew Lariat - we have the same vehicle in a 4WD version.

As MGDfan pointed out, no, you CANNOT use the premium gas tuning without having premium gas in the tank - NEVER. Read the manual that comes with the 1714, and that tells you when to use each program, what octane level, etc.

For right now, since you just filled up with 87 octane, just install the 1714's 87 octane tuning - then once you run that tank of 87 octane down **until the low fuel warning/light first comes on**, then fill it up with premium.

*Then* you can install the premium gas performance tuning. Not before.

DO NOT "top off" an existing tank of lower octane - any time you want to upgrade to the premium gas performance tuning, run the tank of 87 octane down until the low fuel warning comes on, so as to have as little dilution of the incoming premium fuel with existing 87 octane as possible - you'll still have several gallons of fuel left so you won't run out. Then fill it up with high-quality premium gas (no cheap off-brand or no-name stuff), and *then* you can use that program.

Have fun!

Old 02-09-2005, 04:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
An un-scientific comment on gas quality. I’ve been using Sunoco 93-octane and Citgo 93-octane and I do believe that Citgo is giving me better fuel mileage by a hair (2 maybe 3 tenths) but both perform very well.

Old 02-09-2005, 04:40 PM
Former Sponsor
Yep, fuel quality is important, and you can even get varying results with the same brands in the same areas over time, in some cases, so it pays to pay attention to the performance and fuel mileage, etc., on an on-going basis.

For example, normally we prefer Sunoco when it's available - but here just recently, our local Sunoco station has been getting water in the gas, and that wreaked havoc with my Lightning, which had previously run like a champ on that fuel from that same station. So right now I've gone back to our local Citgo station, which has *never* given us any problems, runs fine in that 700 HP motor (well, it makes 500-525+ at the wheels, so the engine has to make enough power internally to overcome about a 100-125 HP blower load & 80 HP in driveline losses, so it has to actually make about 700 HP internally to deliver 500+ to the rear wheels), and gives excellent fuel mileage in comparison to other brands.

So we're getting excellent results with our local Citgo station, just like you are, John - we always have.

Fuel quality, fuel quality, fuel quality...... it's a never-ending quest for those who want the best, but once you get in the habit of always checking the MPG & paying attention, it's much easier & becomes second nature to us hot-rodders.

Old 02-09-2005, 08:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Citgo

Oh thank heaven for 7/11

Old 02-12-2005, 10:13 PM
Former Sponsor
And that is *precisely* why some people laugh when I say try Citgo - because that is what 7-11 distributes in most areas of the country, and some people think that "7-11 gas" has just got to be low-grade fuel.

But Citgo is on both BMW & Ford's "good gas" lists, and in most areas Citgo tends to do a good job - there are some exceptions in some areas of course, there alway are. But by and large, Citgo is a good fuel - in fact, here lately in our areas this winter, our local Citgo is doing a better job than even our local Sunoco - go figure!

Quick Reply: 1714 gas question- me, a bit ocnfused