increased m.p.g.?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2001, 07:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post increased m.p.g.?

I read that a superchip increases m.p.g.! It is just barely though right? just curious, I am thinking about getting one. do you have to use premium? do you have to adjust gearing so that you don't burn up your transmission?

Old 05-11-2001, 02:08 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi George,

The single-program Superchip that most people are using here requires the use of premium gasoline. Any performance chip that actually achieves a significant power gain is going to require premium gas, as the automakers didn't leave a significant amount of power "laying on the table", so to speak, on 87 octane in their powertrain programming. So to increase engine power noticeably via powertrain programming, the engine must be specifically re-tuned for the use of premium gasoline. This is why almost all performance chips require premium gas, it's traditionally been the single most basic concept of a performance chip.

That being said, we also offer a dual-program Superchip, called the Flip Chip, that we can configure with a pair of programs, one for 87 and the other for 92 octane, so that you can have that flexibility at the flip of the switch. Keep in mind that the power gains on 87 octane are going to be small, maybe 3-5 horsepower, but because of a combination of the small gain and the removal of transitional retards, delays, etc. the vehicle will still be more responsive and accelerate a bit quicker on the 87 octane program in the Flip Chip. Then when you want maximum power, you can start using premium and flip the switch!

The Superchip is not going to do any damage to your tranmission, either manual or automatic, and you don't have to do anything special in the way of driving or shifting just because the Superchip is being used, you just drive like you normally do.

With regards to the potential mileage gains with the Superchip, that is merely a by-product of the increased spark advance being used on part-throttle as part of our performance tuning for premium gas. The average gains in the V-8 automatic F-150's run about 1.5-2.0 mpg, but this will still depend on how that vehicle is operated and the quality of fuel being used. If you drive it harder and/or try to use a cheap premium gas, you might not see any mileage gains. Or if you do mostly stop & go city traffic driving, or do mostly heavy towing, etc. you may not see a mileage gain. There is no such thing as a "gas mileage chip" per se, it's a by-product of the performance tuning. The basic principle at work, the increased spark advance on part-throttle, is indeed sound, as the BSFC (brake specific fuel consumption) number will drop everytime an engine is re-tuned for premium gasoline like this, but whether you'll realize a true increase in gas mileage will always depend on how the vehicle is operated and the energy content of the gasoline being used. Which is why it pays to use the best gasolines, for best performance and mileage, either stock or modified.

To give you an idea of fuel costs with the Superchip, for most people driving 15K-20K miles per year in a mix of city & highway driving in these trucks, their increase in fuel costs from running the Superchip on premium gas all the time are usually only about $150-$200 per year, a coupla bucks a week, basically. That will change if your driving conditions are extreme in some way, but those are the "average" results.

If you'd like to go over this in detail, or just go over some questions, etc., you can always give us a call and we'll be happy to speak with you, our number is just below.

Good luck with your truck,

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

Old 05-13-2001, 08:08 PM
Thanks Mike!

That helps a lot. I am definitely going to order one in the next week or so. This message board has got to be one of the coolest things around! Anyways, I appreciate the help!

Old 05-14-2001, 01:55 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi Geoege,

You're very welcome, anytime!

You're absolutely right, this is a great place to hang out and learn more about these vehicles and make new friends. It's by far the best site on the Internet today for Ford truck & SUV owners.

Have fun, & best of luck with your vehicle!

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System

Old 05-14-2001, 02:09 PM
Hey Mke,

What gasoline brands do you consider good? and bad? Why?

I live in Maryland and have always used Exxon.

I was told when I bought my first F150 (1998) to use the same brand and same station all the time if possible. Because the engine will tune itself to the specific forumla used in the gas. Plus, if you change brands often you may get side effects from the different cleaning agents and other chemicals in the gas.

Your thoughts.

I also just noticed on the Superchip ordering page, on the RPM/HP graphic that the engines are limited to 4100 rpm. Is that correct?

------------------
2001 F150 XLT Supercab Flareside "Sport"
Black
Smittybilt step bars

[This message has been edited by deep6blue (edited 05-14-2001).]

Old 05-14-2001, 03:47 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi Deep6,

While it's always been important to use only the best quality fuels for best performance, that has become even more important in the last 3 years or so, as a direct result of the Federal govt.'s air quality monitoring campaign. They've divided each state into multiple geographic regions, and they're monitoring the air quality in each region; any region not reaching "attainment" status, meaning any area whose air quality isn't up to snuff, is threatened with the potential loss of Federal highway funds, and *that* is a huge deal, of course.

Now, the easist thing for these regions/states to do is to mandate the use of "reformulated' fuels, first in the winter (when it takes vehicles longer to warm up & thus that is when engines pollute the most), and if that doesn't clean up the air enough, then they'll mandate their use year-round until air quality is back up to snuff. Reformulated fuels will virtually always have a lower energy content, or # of BTU's per lb. or gallon of gas. Less energy content performance and less mileage, and Exxon is one of the worst name brands in that one specific regard, energy content. It's a good clean burning fuel, but it's reformulated year-round now in all 50 states regardless of whether it's mandated or not, so it's got a lower energy content than many other fuels, which is why we say to avoid it, as has Harley Davidson. They told their owners a couple years back to not use Exxon, either.

I want to be clear here, using Exxon is *not* going to harm your vehicle or it's engine in any way that I am aware of, that isn't the issue at all; it's a simple matter of getting what you pay for. Exxon is and has traditionally been a very expensive fuel, and with it's lower energy content (estimated at 8%-10% less than many other major name brands), you just don't get the mileage you could be getting, or get as much performance from it in comparison to brands like Texaco, Amoco, Citgo, etc.

We like Texaco, Amoco, and Citgo, in that order. There are also other brands that can work very well too; Chevron is hailed out West as an excellent fuel, which I don't care for it here in the East. Shell has worked very well in many parts of the East, while not working so well out in the Western parts of the US. So fuel quality can vary from one region to the next, and there can always be exceptions.

Generally we steer clear of BP, Exxon, Hess, Coastal, and any off-brand or "no-name" fuels. Our order of preference is Texaco, Amoco, and then Citgo, as in most areas of the country, these brands tend to do a better job more often than not, and that's about as precise as we can be as layman.

It's important to note that our preferences do not mean that there can't be exceptions, not at all; just that those fuels tend to do the better job most of the time, in most areas of the country. So that's what we use, as they give us the best performance & mileage observed in our own vehicles, as well as the many reports we get back from all across the country from our customers.

Yes, we like to stick with the same brand & station as much as possible as well, I'd agree with that, I just wouldn't use Exxon, is all.

And no, there is no basic 4100 rpm "limitation" in the powertrain programming of these trucks. However, where the top speed limiter is set may indeed cause an engine to shut down at say, 4100 rpm in 4th gear (Overdrive in an automatic), or at any rpm in a gear that will allow the vehicle to exceed wherever it's top speed limiter is set. There is a 4500 rpm "no-load" rev limiter in many of these vehicles, they all have no-load rev limiters as well as absolute rev limiters; the no-load limiter is just for when there is no load on the engine, such as when you're in Neutral or Park in an automatic, hence the name, a no-load rev limier, it's purpose is to protect the engine from too many rpms with no load on it. The "absolute" rev limiter is what determines the maximum number of rpms these can reach under load.

The top speed limiter is a completely different function (though it does the same thing, shuts off fuel delivery), and in the 1997 & newer F-150 is set at anywhere from 98 mph to as high as 108 mph, with many of them typically being set at 98 mph, they're set to correspond with the speed rating of the tires, basically.

If you'd like to go over any of this in more detail, please feel free to give us a call, our contact info is just below.

In the meantime, best of luck with your truck!

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

Old 05-15-2001, 04:13 PM
Don't count on ANY gas milage increases.

------------------
1998 F150 XLT, extended cab 3 door,Pacific Green, towing package, 4.6L V8, 3.55 LS,

Performance Mods
SUPERCHIP, K&N FIPK, Dual Exhaust (18" glasspack), Bosh Platinum +4 spark plugs

Apearance Mods
Lund deflector, Profile Windstream side window air deflectors, Prostripe silver multistripe, Diamond Plate Toolbox, Diamond Blue(HID) simulator Fog Lights, High output headlights (80watt low/ 100watt high)

Electronic Mods
Whistler Radar Dectector, Uniden Police Scanner, 29WX-ST Cobra CB Radio, with a Texas Star 100watt modulator and a Wilson 2000 Trucker antenna. A Clarion Security System with Keyless Entry,

Audio Mods
Kenwood KDC-6011 CD player/changer control head unit.
JL 10" sub-woofer
Fultron "Depth Charge" amp 200w max.
4, TR570-CX JL Audio Coaxial Speakers (factory location)

Come see my truck and my grandfather's truck at http://www.geocities.com/vienna/strasse/1992

Old 05-17-2001, 12:09 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

I used Citgo one day since it is between my house and the freeway,and within a few miles it "felt" like my truck had more power. I had used Chevron and Exxon before that and never thought of the possible difference. This Citgo station,IMO,has the best gas in Houston.
It is at Tidwell and Fulton,for you north side Houston guys. Enjoy the great gas
BTW,this was in Jan. and Feb.,wonder how it is now? I wish I get could get gas there all the time,but living on the road subjects you to whatever gas happens to be convienient to your location.

------------------
98 F-150 4.6 Litre XLT2wd Ext. cab
Yokahama AVS/ST's,,too noisy
prarie tan/tan int.
K/N gen.II fipk
custom dual exh/gibson rectangle tips/rear exiting.
color matched snuglid
Superchip!!!
Clear front corners
Speedglo gauges w/carbon fiber overlay
Carbon fiber Grant styling ring wheelcover
Stillen Quad light air dam,with Pilot PL-240 driving lights
Billet third brake light cover/oval pattern
Euro taillights,with APC red bulbs
Cobra 75WXST cb w/weather alert
Kenwood cd w/Radio Shack speakers,and Soundstream P203e amplifier//Single 10" sub
Viper alarm
On the waywheels,tires,Proglass shaker hood,Steel Horse C5 leather seat
Come see my new pictures@ www.my-f150.com
WOW,what a cool site!

FENDER GUITARS ROCK!!!

Now,if it only looked like this in real life

Quick Reply: increased m.p.g.?