Computer chip not removing my speed-limiter

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2001, 07:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Computer chip not removing my speed-limiter

Hey "SUPERCHIP MIKE", I spoke to you over the phone last week and inquired about a superchip for my "94"F-150 v-8 automatic.I went to a local dealer to get the chip installed. I got the chip installed for $250.00 , I believe they spoke to you to get the program or file to program my new chip to get the speed and rev limiter eliminated, but that hasn't worked out. I don't know whats going on but it is frustrating that i had to miss two seperate days of work to try to get this resolved,and this is the second time they program the chip but its not doing what i was promised. My computer code is HUGO. Is there something that is wrong with the file dowload or they just don't know how to program my application? Please help!!!!

Old 04-13-2001, 03:19 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi JPICO302,

Sorry to hear you still have a top speed limiter. The rev limiter is *never* removed in anything less than a true race car, that is a separate function from teh top speed limiter, & needs to remain intact to protect your engine against overspeed.

There can be a couple of reasons why the top speed limiter remains, or a secondary limiter cuts in. The top speed limiter is normally removed in most of these vehicles, but there can be cases where it is not removed. For example, sometimes in brand new vehicles at the very beginning of a new model year, it will take Superchips a little while to get the TS limiter knocked out. When that happens to one of our customers here at Performance Products, we'll always update the customer's program when Superchips gets the limiter defeated, and we do that for our customers at no charge, of course. That obviously isn't the case here, as yours is not a brand new vehicle.

If the tire size has been changed from the original tire size that came on the vehicle from the factory, or if the rear gear ratio has been changed, then the speedometer will be thrown off, and that will cause the normal top speed limiter to not be removed, due to the conflict between the data from various sensors reported data to the ECU that the ECU uses to verify the basic vehicle speed info, such as engine rpms, output shaft speed, etc.

If you're not getting anywhere with whoever you bought it from, I would suggest that you contact the manufacturer directly, using the phone number for Tech Support that is in the instructions that came with your Superchip.

You're also welcome to give us a call, we'll be happy to discuss this with you.

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

Old 04-13-2001, 08:41 PM
Banned For
Violating Vendor Rules
I'm not sure what sensors would be involved for the '94 model year. I thought the speedo was cable driven for that year. What sensors would they be?

Old 04-15-2001, 01:59 PM
Suspended For Violation of Vendor Rules
I also have the same problem with my truck too... However, I did not post it on here for the whole world to see, I emailed Mike and talked to him in private to resolve the issue. I absolutely love my superchip and it does as promised... except for the top speed limiter on my particular code NBW2, but I totally understand some problems with not being able to remove it, as "Superchips" are basically hacking Ford's computers. Sorta like hacking into computer security. It takes time to get it right, especially when Ford is implementing different ways on how the top speed limiter works so it will, of course, make it harder for Superchips to remove it at first, without direct dyno testing on your particular truck with your computer code.

------------------
TRUCK
White 00' XLT 4.2 Auto Sport
Regular cab Styleside
3.55 non-limited slip
Superchip
Airaid FIPK
custom ported STOCK throttle body
1/4 ... 17.221@81.35MPH

PC
Thunderbird 1.1ghz @ 1.33ghz
Abit KT7A-Raid
384mb Kingmax PC-150 ram
60gig IBM 75gxp RAID array
Geforce2 GTS 64mb

Old 04-15-2001, 03:14 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi Talleywhacker,

You're absolutely right, the NBW2-code does not yet have it's TS limiter removed. With the use of screen names here, I can't remember your real name, but it may well have been you that we tried a couple of different things to remove the limiter, as we just recently did that with someone's NBW2-code, that could well have been you.

It's a fairly rare code in a V-6 F-150, and uses a different method and arrangement for it's TS limiter. We haven't had a chance to have access to an NBW2 vehicle for a long enough period to get it nailed.

Should anyone have an NBW2-code V-6 F-150 and can be in the Orlando Florida area, we can set it up for the dyno session to knock out the TS limiter, just contact me personally at our number listed below. This will happen sooner or later, it's just a matter of time until we can get access to an NBW2 vehicle, or another vehicle whose code uses the same type of inplementation for it's TS limiter, which can then be applied to a number of others. This is how it's always been over the years, a constant game of "hide & seek", where the automakers make numerous changes to each code, the vast majority of which we get nailed very easily, and then there are always a few that take a little longer with each new model year. How long that takes is a combination of luck & how rare a given code is, which dictates the number of vehicles that will have it, which usually is a factor in how long it takes to get an example of a vehicle with a given code into the facility. Luck is a big part in that sometimes we'll get lucky and get a vehicle with a new & also rare code very early on in a model year and so on..........

So with all the hundreds upon hundreds of different factory software revisions (computer codes, as we refer to them)in the F-150, sometimes hundreds in each model year alone, every once in awhile we'll get a code where the TS limiter implementation has been changed to something new and not yet seen, so in those cases, it takes a little while to get it done. And it's always a free update, it's just a matter of time.

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System

Old 04-15-2001, 03:44 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi fastsvtss,

Good question!

A speedo being cable-driven in a computer-controlled vehicle doesn't mean that you cannot have a conflict with something else the ECU looks at to confirm basic vehicle speed data as I mentioned above in my response, and hence have issues with removal of the TS limiter. Vehicle speed is always reported to the ECU, and several other data streams are looked at by the ECU for confirmation, that's been the case for a number of years, not just the last couple fo model years. And when there is a conflict between the vehicle speed being reported and the other data streams the ECU looks at for confirmation (such as in the case of a gear ratio change or a tire size change that has not been compensated for either with the correct reduction gear in those older vehicles, reprogramming of the speedo cluster in those model years where appropriate, etc.), you can have a situation where the TS limiter will not come off, or a secondary limiter will kick in after removing the basic top speed limit instruction from the code (or setting it to a number so high the vehicle could ever reach it, whatever is required for that particular software revision).

That may or may not be the actual reason that his TS limiter is still in effect in this case of course; that is simply a very real possibility, given how often F-150 owners alter tire sizes and end up with speedo error, and this can be one consequence of doing that and not have the speedo recalibrated, so that's why I mentioned it as a potential cause.

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

Old 04-15-2001, 09:20 PM
Suspended For Violation of Vendor Rules
Mike...

Jon Talley here and yes, you tried another code that you thought worked, but failed... you also stated another guy had the same code but was stuck at 105. I'm stuck at 96. No biggie really, but I would like to stick with some of these hondas at high speeds!!! I'll give you a call monday like I said in the other thread.

------------------
TRUCK
White 00' XLT 4.2 Auto Sport
Regular cab Styleside
3.55 non-limited slip
Superchip
Airaid FIPK
custom ported STOCK throttle body
1/4 ... 17.221@81.35MPH

PC
Thunderbird 1.1ghz @ 1.33ghz
Abit KT7A-Raid
384mb Kingmax PC-150 ram
60gig IBM 75gxp RAID array
Geforce2 GTS 64mb

Old 04-27-2001, 05:32 PM
Hey Mike, I called you today from a speedometer calibration shop in Miami Florida, you had previuosly told me that I had to recalibrate my speedo because of my tire size change and my gear ratio change. Well you didn't want to speak to the techs. at the shop, they weren't going to be rude, they were hoping they could possibly learn something new from you, but you declined to speak for whatever the reason, I did not want you getting in the middle of it. I just thought that you guys could share information from each others personal knowledge. However, you got kind of upset over the phone and thought that you weren't coming across to me clearly. I understood you very well, but you were not in a friendly mood. Whatever the case maybe, it doesn't matter at this point, since I got the computer chip installed two seperate times with the same results, and now with the speedometer calibrated correctly I still would hit the speed limiter. In closing I took the chip back to the shop were it was purchased and got my money back. Thanks for your time and advise.

------------------

Old 04-28-2001, 02:59 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi JPI,

Because I'm a nice guy and try to help when and if I can, I invited you to call me just to discuss this in my first response to you in this tread, as a *courtesy* to you, just in case I might be able to give you some suggestions, etc. This is a matter that is between you and whoever you purchased your product from, we simply told you that we'd be willing to speak with you, which we of course did, for quite a long time. Apparently that just wasn't good enough for you; you took it upon yourself to take this much futher and volunteer my time to your shop the next day, without ever asking me how I felt about doing such a thing.

Had you bothered to even ask me *before* you went to a shop if I was either able or even willing to get involved, I would have told you no, that even though we do provide a lot of assistance to many other people who are not customers of ours when we can, we cannot take on additional free projects and get involved with somebody's shop. It was entirely inappropriate for you to insist that I get involved with this shop right there on the spot, and that is what transpired.

When you called me from that shop, after I already told you several times politely during that conversation that I was not going to get in the middle of this, that I was not going to get involved with this shop, you *persisted*, you refused to listen to me telling you no, you just kept on at me to talk to these people. If your feelings were hurt in the process, I'm truly sorry, but it's just not appropriate for you to volunteer my services like that.

I wish you well,

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

Quick Reply: Computer chip not removing my speed-limiter