Added a Gibson cat back, does the chip need to relearn?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2001, 01:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Added a Gibson cat back, does the chip need to relearn?

I've had excellent results with my Superchip.
I followed the instructions and drained the DC power and had a very good breakin over 500-800 miles.
A power increase right away. Better torque even around 2000 rpms in overdrive. My mileage steadly increased to about 16 mpg.
I just installed a Gibson cat back and took the truck out on the road. It flew, but it definately did not shift at the old points. I think I hit 4500 rpms before one of the shifts ( 1st or 2nd can't remember because it was a real surprise ).
Do I need to disconnect the battery and drain the DC power to get the chip to relearn?
Thanks

------------------
2001 Expedition 5.4L XLT
4WD + Towing Package
Edelbrock IAS
Superchip
Gibson SS Side Swept

Old 04-22-2001, 02:26 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Redex,

Thanks for an interesting post!

You've made some really nice choices, those IAS shocks are great, they do wonders for the handling of an SUV like your Expy.

To answer your question, to a certain extent, when you make a change like that you will have some adaptation from the ECU (powertrain computer) as part of Ford's ongoing "adaptive strategy" adjustments. It's not usually *necessary* to do that procedure to clear the ECU after installing an exhaust system, but it's done by many people with computer-controlled vehicles anytime they install a new performance part, as it forces the ECU to begin it's adaptive strategy adjustments from scratch again with the new configuration (meaning the new performance part(s) installed).

The part-throttle upshift points are determined by algorithms that are vehicle speed & load versus throttle position dependant, so they work in what could be called "sliding scales", meaning mph ranges that it will upshift between depending on just how much throttle opening, etc., which is not changed ih the Superchip's program, only the full-throttle upshift points are usually changed in the Superchips program. Those part-throttle shift points can change a bit after doing another modification, if the torque curve has been changed, and, they will be higher and higher the more throttle opening you apply in any situation, of course. However, you do not normally have a really *significant* amount of change in those shift points after installing a cat-back exhaust system, especially one as well known as the Gibson Swept-Side model that is used by many people here. So if you're seeing something that really seems out of the ordinary, sure, go ahead and do the same procedure to clear the ECU as we describe in our Performance Products documentation that came with your Superchip.

Just so you'll know, the Superchip itself doesn't actually "learn" anything; what we refer to as the "relearn cycle" and "adaptive strategy" are part of normal Ford ECU operations, which remain intact with the Superchip installed.

Good luck!

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

Old 04-22-2001, 07:51 PM
Thanks for such a quick reply. The weather is perfect here in NJ and I didn't think I would hear from anyone on such a fine day, let alone the "expert".
I just drove my Expry again and if I don't push the peddle down the same amount of travel I used to push it, the trany shifts at the old rpms. This confirms your analysis of the situation. Ford's computer program is running the engine based on the speed and how far down I'm pushing the pedal. But I'm at a higher speed now with the exhaust mod but I'm still pushing down the pedal. If I just ease off a bit the trans shifts at the normal points. Excellent diagnosis.
I will drain the "juice" and start another relearn by "Ford's software", it just makes sense.
Who said that hot rodding was dead in the computer age?
Anyone wondering what kind of support you get with a Superchip? Check it out.
Thanks again.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Superchips_Distributor:
Hi Redex,

Thanks for an interesting post!

You've made some really nice choices, those IAS shocks are great, they do wonders for the handling of an SUV like your Expy.

To answer your question, to a certain extent, when you make a change like that you will have some adaptation from the ECU (powertrain computer) as part of Ford's ongoing "adaptive strategy" adjustments. It's not usually *necessary* to do that procedure to clear the ECU after installing an exhaust system, but it's done by many people with computer-controlled vehicles anytime they install a new performance part, as it forces the ECU to begin it's adaptive strategy adjustments from scratch again with the new configuration (meaning the new performance part(s) installed).

The part-throttle upshift points are determined by algorithms that are vehicle speed & load versus throttle position dependant, so they work in what could be called "sliding scales", meaning mph ranges that it will upshift between depending on just how much throttle opening, etc., which is not changed ih the Superchip's program, only the full-throttle upshift points are usually changed in the Superchips program. Those part-throttle shift points can change a bit after doing another modification, if the torque curve has been changed, and, they will be higher and higher the more throttle opening you apply in any situation, of course. However, you do not normally have a really *significant* amount of change in those shift points after installing a cat-back exhaust system, especially one as well known as the Gibson Swept-Side model that is used by many people here. So if you're seeing something that really seems out of the ordinary, sure, go ahead and do the same procedure to clear the ECU as we describe in our Performance Products documentation that came with your Superchip.

Just so you'll know, the Superchip itself doesn't actually "learn" anything; what we refer to as the "relearn cycle" and "adaptive strategy" are part of normal Ford ECU operations, which remain intact with the Superchip installed.

Good luck!

</font>

Old 04-23-2001, 02:50 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Redex,

Thanks for your kind words, but I have to be honest with you, it really was a matter of blind luck that I responded to you that quickly, as normally on Sundays I don't get on until later in the day. And you're right, what a glorious weather day it was!

We had an unfortunate death of a very close friend of the family Sunday morning @ 9:30 am, so that day's activities just led to me being here a bit sooner than normal, that's all. I only mention this just because I wouldn't want anyone thinking that I'll always be able to respond to a post on the boards here that quickly, we're here every day so it just depends on what time each day we can log on.

Thanks so much for responding back with your thoughts, it appears we're on the right track here then. Just let us know if you feel there is an actual problem after doing the reset (clearing the computer's memory again), ok?

Good luck & all the best!

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

Old 04-23-2001, 06:55 PM
Thumbs up

redex,

I hope you're enjoying your's like I am mine. The more I drive it the more difference I feel with the IAS's.

This may not be it, but when I installed the Swept Side, it took me a few days of trying to figure out why it wasn't shifting like it should. Then I realized it was that I *could* hear the engine and the shift points only sounded different. The first thing I noticed was shifting into 4th (OD) I thought it was holding out way too long. 42 MPH and I thought that it should shift quicker when driving really conservativly. Then I realized that if it did, it would probably choke. At 42 MPH it's dropping to 1200 RPM.

I've learned to love the sound now that I can hear what my Expy is doing now!!

------------------
2000 EDDIE BAUER EXPEDITION 4x2
  • Estate Green
  • 5.4 ltr
  • 3:55 LS rear
  • Superchip!
  • Airaid FIPK
  • Gibson S/S Swept Side Cat Back Exhaust
  • Hellwig Rear Anti-Sway Bar
  • Edelbrock Performer IAS Shocks
  • Xenon Super White Head and Driving Lights
  • Clear Corners (installed then removed and reinstalled OEM's)
  • Tow Package
  • Rear Load Leveling
  • Moonroof
  • Century Child Seat!
  • Front Polyurethane Anti-Sway Bar Bushings recieved, wrong part number

--&gt;Come share my Addiction&lt;--

Old 04-23-2001, 09:57 PM
FamilyRide and Mike,
No complaints , actually rave reviews.
I believe the IAS Edelbrocks have changed the way I drive as much as the Superchip.
The Superchip still being the greatest difference.
The Exhaust change just added another dimension.
Your comments about the shift points are correct, I believe it is "****pit error" or the observed change vs an actual difference.
I read somewhere here on F150 an attempt to list in order of importance the effect of various mods. I believe that each change has been a 100% percent improvement. The Exhaust has taken a bit getting used to because the difference in sound/behavior. Today I was cruising along at 80 mph on RT 80 in overdrive listening to every sound. ( half concerned that I had tightened everything. )
I notice that the shift points are now beginning to return to the original rpms prior to the exhaust mod and I have not reset the computer. The torque feels fine.
You certainly feel you have additional power.
Thanks again for the reply. I have learned alot.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by FamilyRide:
redex,

I hope you're enjoying your's like I am mine. The more I drive it the more difference I feel with the IAS's.

This may not be it, but when I installed the Swept Side, it took me a few days of trying to figure out why it wasn't shifting like it should. Then I realized it was that I *could* hear the engine and the shift points only sounded different. The first thing I noticed was shifting into 4th (OD) I thought it was holding out way too long. 42 MPH and I thought that it should shift quicker when driving really conservativly. Then I realized that if it did, it would probably choke. At 42 MPH it's dropping to 1200 RPM.

I've learned to love the sound now that I can hear what my Expy is doing now!!

</font>

------------------
2001 Expedition 5.4L XLT
4WD + Towing Package
Edelbrock IAS
Superchip
Gibson SS Side Swept

Old 04-23-2001, 10:03 PM
I must laugh. I have a private pilots license and used a term that a fellow pilot liked, "c. o .c. k .p i t E r r or ". meaning an error by the pilot in interpreting the instruments. I guess it was censored. Ha!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by redex:
FamilyRide and Mike,
No complaints , actually rave reviews.
I believe the IAS Edelbrocks have changed the way I drive as much as the Superchip.
The Superchip still being the greatest difference.
The Exhaust change just added another dimension.
Your comments about the shift points are correct, I believe it is "****pit error" or the observed change vs an actual difference.
I read somewhere here on F150 an attempt to list in order of importance the effect of various mods. I believe that each change has been a 100% percent improvement. The Exhaust has taken a bit getting used to because the difference in sound/behavior. Today I was cruising along at 80 mph on RT 80 in overdrive listening to every sound. ( half concerned that I had tightened everything. )
I notice that the shift points are now beginning to return to the original rpms prior to the exhaust mod and I have not reset the computer. The torque feels fine.
You certainly feel you have additional power.
Thanks again for the reply. I have learned alot.

</font>

Quick Reply: Added a Gibson cat back, does the chip need to relearn?