Flip Chip?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2001, 09:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Flip Chip?

How easy is it to switch from using lower octane gas to higher octane? And how long will it take to kick in?

Old 04-17-2001, 10:53 PM
Just drive your truck until the low fuel light comes on or as low as you are comfortable with and then fill it with 93 octane. Be careful, don't run out of gas. It will take effect as soon as you put a full tank of premium. Good luck!!

------------------
OO L Black, Superchip R9, Airaid FIPK and Tonneau cover: 1999 F-150 Lariat SC 2 WD, White/Silver, 5.4L, 3.55LS, K & N FIPK, Superchip, underdrive pulley set, Flowmaster dual chamber one in and duels out, six disc CD changer, towing package and captain chairs

Old 04-19-2001, 02:10 PM
Hi Harleyboy

If your in the razorback state? my home town in Helena, on the mighty Miss-a-sippy.

Im using flipchip. 87/92oct. Recently went on trip, so used 87. After i filled up, i did battery disconnect, etc. Wanted to see what would happen.

Man, that 92oct. program changed fast. I could feel the drop in power before i got around the corner. Auto. tranny shifts seem about the same, either way.

Then the opposite, it seems to kick in fairly fast & get stronger with more miles.
For the short time ive been using chip, im just now learning what to expect.

I do like it on 92oct.

Have a good one. OT

Old 04-19-2001, 02:50 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Harleyboy,

To change which program you're running on in the Flip Chip, you simply flip the attached switch, hence it's name, the Flip Chip.

When it's set up with the 87 & 92 octane program combo, you just let the gas go down until the low fuel light comes on, and then fill it up with premium, and flip the switch. The changes will take effect pretty quickly, within 50 miles or so, without doing a battery disconnect; if you do the battery disconnect, which is not required when flipping the switch, it will happen immediately. It will take 500-800 miles or so to see the absolute *maximum* effect of changing over to the premium gas program, but you'll get most of what it does very quickly, and the small remainder (about 20%)will come in gradually as you accumulate more miles, just like with the single-program Superchip.

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

Old 04-21-2001, 02:02 AM
Hey Mike, I just installed my flip chip (thanks for all your help by the way...) and I noticed the gains and benefits of the chip right away. I also went with the 87 and 92 combo. The only problem is I can't remember which position is the home system. To me, the flip looks exactly the same either way...I'm just afraid that I'm using the wrong octane level on the wrong program. I've also noticed that on the flip there are markings on both sides with one line on one end and two lines on the other side. Is this to indicate the two different programs? Sorry, I just want to sure...

Old 04-21-2001, 03:12 AM
Position 1 or home is your stock tuning(87octane). Position 2 is your custom tunning(92octane). On your toggle switch you will have 1 white line on one side and 2 white lines on the other. That will let you know if you are in position 1 or 2. Take care and have fun with your new bad a$$ chip.

------------------
2000 F-150 2wd sport 4.2 V6
XLT, Ext cab, auto transmission

(Performance)
JBA Headers:Jacobs Ignition:K&N:Superchip
Throttle body spacer: Cat back exaust
4.10 gears (had 3.55)

(Appearance)
AR 17x10 Atlas Wheels
Custom Seat Covers: Dash Mat
Floor Mats: Cd player: Pioneer Speakers
Rockford Amp: Truck box: Rhino Liner
Grill Guard: Nerf Bars: Fender flares
Custom graphics: Tail light covers
Vent Visors: Driving Lights
Tinted windows
3 inch spindle lift: 3 inch body lift: lift lips
33/12.5/17 Procomp A/T

[This message has been edited by TucsonTruck (edited 04-21-2001).]

Old 04-22-2001, 03:34 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Blue V6,

Thanks for your post!

Yes, that is *exactly* what those "markings" are, Roman numerals on the side of the switch's housing, so you'll know at a glance.

That info is also there in our documentation, there is a separate sheet that is filled out for each Flip Chip, that shows you the pictures of the switch, and tells you which program is in which position. It also shows you physically with 2 different visual characteristics which position is which on the switch itself. The "home" position, or "Side 1", is always the side of the switch that has the notch in the metal part of the switch, and there is also the Roman numeral "I" on one side, and "II" on the other side of the switch's housing. Then on the bottom of that same sheet, it tells you which program is in which position, one will be "87 Octane" and the other "92 Octane".

The 87 octane program is always going to be on Side 1, and the 92+ octane program is always going to be on Side II. Unless you mount the switch so that you can see the housing or that "notch" in the column, which is rarely done, you'll have to remember which side is which, and this will of course become more normal and get to be like second nature as you use it more over time. Or, you can always label it in some manner of you feel that would be appropriate for your installation.

Good luck!

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

Quick Reply: Flip Chip?