Can someone call me a tow truck?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2001, 10:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I too got a no-start the 1st time I tried to start my truck after the SChip install. The contacts need to be *really*, *really* clean - I work in electronics and even I was suprised @ how clean they needed to be. I'd guess that's probably what your problem is. It also sounds to me that your installer doesn't know what he's doing - he should re-check the contacts instead of reprogramming the chip.

I assume you were running w/o the chip when your truck died on you, so I doubt the chip had any effect there. Maybe the installer didn't tighten the connector on the back of the computer enough. Or one of your battery terminals wasn't tightened enough after reconnecting the battery.

Personally, if I were you I'd look for a new installer or order the chip from Mike - it's not a hard project.

------------------
2001 White 4x4 SuperCrew (Lariat), 5.4L, limited slip, skid plates, towing pkg, captains chairs, CD changer

SuperChip; Black Westin Nerf Bars; Husky Mud Guards (F&R); Beige CatchAll's (F&R)

Old 03-05-2001, 11:08 AM
Cool

You're right. I should lighten up. I am totally frustrated right now and maybe blew off a little too much to someone undeserving of it. I guess it's a normal way life to some to wait 6 weeks for their S-Crew, drive it for a week and have to have it towed in. I'll have a better sense of humor tomorrow. My humble apologies to all.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by HarleyGuy:
You're a really funny guy, big_rod. I'm laughing real hard. People are attempting to assist you and you give them a bad time.

Guess it takes all kinds.

[This message has been edited by HarleyGuy (edited 03-05-2001).]
</font>

Old 03-05-2001, 11:19 AM
I want to be clear about this:

I DO NOT BELIEVE THE S-CHIP CAUSED MY PROBLEMS and I am in no way blaming the s-chip. I don't have a clue what happened to my S-Crew. It all happened at the same time. I am just telling my story. Coincidence or whatever, this IS what happened to me. My feeling is the same as that of what I'm hearing.

"IT'S THE INSTALLER."

When I get my S-Crew back from Ford, I will go from there. I still want the s-chip but I must say, my confidence has been rattled.

Stepping back was suggested to me and that is what I am going to do today.

Also: Did I mind my manners and graciously accept this reply? Am I learning how to cope with F-150Online humor? I'm not an a$$hole, just a frustrated dude driving a Kia instead of his S-Crew.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ChrisS:
I too got a no-start the 1st time I tried to start my truck after the SChip install. The contacts need to be *really*, *really* clean - I work in electronics and even I was suprised @ how clean they needed to be. I'd guess that's probably what your problem is. It also sounds to me that your installer doesn't know what he's doing - he should re-check the contacts instead of reprogramming the chip.

I assume you were running w/o the chip when your truck died on you, so I doubt the chip had any effect there. Maybe the installer didn't tighten the connector on the back of the computer enough. Or one of your battery terminals wasn't tightened enough after reconnecting the battery.

Personally, if I were you I'd look for a new installer or order the chip from Mike - it's not a hard project.

</font>

Old 03-05-2001, 11:44 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi big_rod,

Hmm, we're very sorry to hear you're having a problem, that sure isn't normal! Your local dealer *should* be able to determine what's going on and why.

The manufacturer's installation instructions are decent, they give some good photos and do a good job of telling you how to attach the Superchip to the computer, but we provide far more detailed documentation in addition to the manufacturers documentation with every Superchip we ship. We feel that more detailed and vehicle-specific documentation is needed for first-time installers, so we write quite a bit.

Since yours is a 2001 model, it can't be the jumper misconfiguration inside the computer that some people here have experienced and commented on in this thread in response to you, so it's either a connection-related problem (contacts not cleaned, etc.), or it's possible that your vehicle's computer may have been reflashed at a dealership at some point, and if that happens, the code won't match anymore, and you get a no-start. This is assuming there isn't a problem with the Superchip itself, which is rare.

If you'd like to give us a call, we'll be happy to go over this with you, to see if we can provide some assistance, our contact info is below, and we're here Monday thru Friday from 10 am to 7 pm, Eastern time. With us being far away from you, we may not be able to help at all, but we'd at least be glad to go over all of this with you, to see if perhaps we can assist.

Best of luck whatever you decide,

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

Old 03-05-2001, 02:24 PM
Hi Mike,

Thanks for your reply. It sounds like I should have gone to you first, but that is water under the bridge. The fear of having to go through the mail spooked me. Somehow that fear isn't as great as it was, now. Hmm!

I've been accused of attacking people trying to help me, but I thought some of those replies were just 'hecklers' having a laugh at my expense. I misunderstood their intent.
I'm just bitter about having to be towed and I just felt a need to blame someone or something. I'll feel much better when I can feel rumble of Flowmasters 40s again.

I AM GOING TO INSTALL THE S-CHIP AGAIN! I've found too many people that really believe in the S-chip, and I want to a believer too. Plus, I'm totally addicted to speed and top performance and that's what the s-chip offers.

I'll give you a call in a day or so and maybe you could help keep me from stepping on my own (you know what) next time.

Thanks again.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Superchips_Distributor:
Hi big_rod,

Hmm, we're very sorry to hear you're having a problem, that sure isn't normal! Your local dealer *should* be able to determine what's going on and why.

The manufacturer's installation instructions are decent, they give some good photos and do a good job of telling you how to attach the Superchip to the computer, but we provide far more detailed documentation in addition to the manufacturers documentation with every Superchip we ship. We feel that more detailed and vehicle-specific documentation is needed for first-time installers, so we write quite a bit.

Since yours is a 2001 model, it can't be the jumper misconfiguration inside the computer that some people here have experienced and commented on in this thread in response to you, so it's either a connection-related problem (contacts not cleaned, etc.), or it's possible that your vehicle's computer may have been reflashed at a dealership at some point, and if that happens, the code won't match anymore, and you get a no-start. This is assuming there isn't a problem with the Superchip itself, which is rare.

If you'd like to give us a call, we'll be happy to go over this with you, to see if we can provide some assistance, our contact info is below, and we're here Monday thru Friday from 10 am to 7 pm, Eastern time. With us being far away from you, we may not be able to help at all, but we'd at least be glad to go over all of this with you, to see if perhaps we can assist.

Best of luck whatever you decide,

</font>

Old 03-06-2001, 03:16 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi big_rod,

No problem, don't worry about it! People here are happy to help, and they're also quick to let someone know if they feel blame is wrongly placed, that just kinda goes with the territory, as we're a pretty factual bunch around here. The main thing is that most people here are very friendly and eager to assist, so it's a great place to hang out, learn about our vehicles & even meet some new friends.

Most of us here know what it's like to have those kinds of frustrations too, and we just want to see you happy & up and running.

Good luck, and if we can help just give us a shout!

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System

Old 03-06-2001, 09:31 PM
Thanks Mike.

I'm finding out how it works. I'm starting to relax and just wait until Ford gets me up and running. They said it's the Power Control Module (PCM). (They could tell me anything and I wouldn't know).. I'll ask more questions when I pick up my SCrew.

I'll send you an email, or give you a call in a few days and let's see if we can my get my SCrew up and running with the S-Chip.

Thanks again for your help.

Old 03-06-2001, 10:19 PM
big_rod,

I thought I would jump in here to help. I live in Fairfield, and I would be more than happy to help you install your chip. I installed mine a few months ago, and I actually got it right the first time, luckily, but I did read alot of posts off the boards here before hand.

One more thing, make sure when you get your truck back, that they tell you exactly what they did to fix it. If they reflashed the computer to fix the problem, then your chip will have to be reflashed, too. They will have to put the new code under the hood or on the computer. (I cant remember exactly where)

Where in Vallejo is a place that programs the superchip? I bought my chip online from Mike Troyer, and everything worked out great. If you ever buy any more go-fast parts, get them from the online store from this website, Roger Lemere runs it, he is in Sacramento, and his prices are very good.

Good luck and let us know what happens!!

------------------
-White 2000 XLT
-Flareside 4X2, Supercab
-5.4L Triton V-8, Automatic-3.55 LS
-Class III Tow Package
-Duraliner
-White gauge faceplate
-Alpine 60Wx4 CDA-7863.
-Superchip
-K&N FIPK
FUTURE MODS:
2000-2001 Lightning wheels
-Lightning or Roush front bumper cover, & foglights
-MTX Thunderforms for S/C
-Upgraded speakers in doors
-amplifier
-Belltech 2/4 drop, & shocks
-Cervinis Ram Air Hood
-Wiper Cowl
-Rollpan
-Roush bodykit (or similar)

(not necessarily in that order)

Old 03-07-2001, 01:18 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi big_rod,

OK, so they're basically saying that your computer now has to be replaced, hmmm.

As "Slickford" mentioned in his response, you'll need to check the code sticker on the new computer, to make sure it is the same code as your original computer, so that same Superchip will work. If that code does not match, then you will need to have the Superchip reprogrammed to that new code, which is easily done.

When they reprogram an *existing* computer with a different software revision, then as Slickford mentioned, they are required to place what's called a "Notice of Modification" sticker (white sticker that's 2" high X 3" wide) under the hood in a prominent location, so that any future technician will see it and know the processor's program has been changed. That isn't the case here, if I understand you correctly, as they're replacing the computer. So just look at the sticker on the new computer for it's code, which will be 3 letters and 1 number, the same format, and if it matches, you're in business. If it doesn't, then that Superchip will need to be reprogrammed by the shop you got it from to the new code, and that should be done for you at no charge other than shipping, if it has to be shipped.

Good luck!

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

Old 03-07-2001, 01:27 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi Slickford,

Just wanted to drop you a quick note to say thanks for your kind offer to assist that gentleman. That's one of the things that makes F-150 Online great, having people willing to help others out like that, so hat's off to you!

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

Old 03-07-2001, 07:41 PM
Sheesh. I thought that someone who intentionally went by the name "big_rod" and posted the flag "Can someone call me a tow truck" would have a sense of humor...

'Hope that Mike's been able to take some of the load off your back to where you can feel your funny-bone again, rod.

Old 03-27-2001, 05:03 PM
Thumbs up

Hi Guys,

I am just updating the post I started.

After 12 days at the dealership, I got my screw back. FoMoCo replaced the PCM. It was running great, but I still wanted to chip my screw, but I was a little bit chicken. The next day, I called the shop who sold me the s-chip and he really wanted to just return my money and get me off of his back. I helped him out and returned the s-chip for a full refund. I went back home and called Mike T. and ordered my new s-chip from him. I got the chip 2 days later. At that time,

I am just an overpaid computer geek from the Silicon Valley and probably the world’s worst mechanic. But I decided to take some of the suggestions from my post and I DID IT MYSELF. I didn’t have any problems. I disconnected the battery and removed the computer from the truck. I took my time and made sure I cleaned the connector and put the s-chip in and re-installed the computer back in my truck. We started right up. Life is good!

I went to the gas station and filled up on 92 octane (ouch! $$). I drove for about 50 miles and I started to notice the shifting changes the s-chip was doing. It was cool!

Now, I have over 500 miles with the s-chip and here is what I noticed. The new shifting control is really great! It’s sharper and happens faster. Because I chipped my screw when it had only 400 miles on it, I never tested the performance of my truck, so I cannot say either way if it has improved or not. I know the performance is super right now. I haven’t noticed a gain in fuel efficiency because I can’t keep my foot out of the gas tank since I chipped it.

I regret that I cannot verify any performance or fuel efficiency gains as yet. If nothing else, I feel the s-chip is worth every penny just by the shifting. I will keep a look out for the other gains after I learn to handle my heavy foot.

Thanks to everyone who hung in there and help me with this problem. Special thanks to Mike T. and everyone else on F150Online. Also: I think I found my funny bone again.

The only thing wrong with a perfect drive to work in my screw is that I end up at work.

Big_Rod

Old 03-28-2001, 02:56 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi big_rod,

Thanks for posting your follow-up, we're delighted that you're able to enjoy your Superchip now.

This thread sure has come a long way, it's neat to see it all work out correctly for you in the end, so I guess all's well that end's well.

Have fun,

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

Old 03-28-2001, 11:03 PM
Good news Rod.

I am glad you got your chip in and your pcm replaced. Did they say why it failed?

And thank you Mike T. for the compliment for offering to help Big Rod. I am sure that he would have been glad to help me if the tables were turned. Thats what the boards are for!

------------------
-White 2000 XLT
-Flareside 4X2, Supercab
-5.4L Triton V-8, Automatic-3.55 LS
-Class III Tow Package
-Duraliner
-White gauge faceplate
-Alpine 60Wx4 CDA-7863.
-Superchip
-K&N FIPK
FUTURE MODS:
2000-2001 Lightning wheels
-Lightning or Roush front bumper cover, & foglights
-MTX Thunderforms for S/C
-Upgraded speakers in doors
-amplifier
-Belltech 2/4 drop, & shocks
-Cervinis Ram Air Hood
-Wiper Cowl
-Rollpan
-Roush bodykit (or similar)

(not necessarily in that order)

Old 03-29-2001, 01:19 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi Slickford,

&gt;&gt;&gt;And thank you Mike T. for the compliment for offering to help Big Rod. I am sure that he would have been glad to help me if the tables were turned. Thats what the boards are for!&lt;&lt;&lt;

That's the spirit of F-150 Online, Slickford, and one of the many things that make this place, and the people who belong to this F-150 Online community, such a valuable & friendly resource.

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

Quick Reply: Can someone call me a tow truck?