FLIP-CHIP NO START!!! Mike, got a moment?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2000, 08:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post FLIP-CHIP NO START!!! Mike, got a moment?

Mike, this maybe the wrong forum, but, my '99 F150 will not start after installing the flip-chip. I cleaned the terminals twice, where can I obtain the pics of the fix you mentioned? Thanks, Doc

------------------
1999 F-150
4.2L, 5-speed,
3.55 Limited Slip,
reg. cab, short bed, Sport Grill,
Pioneer DEH-P4000 CD,
Tinted windows, "blacked-out" factory rims, 255's in place of 235's (tiny tires!)
Delta toolbox
more to come....

Wife: 2000 Ranger Trailhead Package
Black & Tinted
5-spd, CD, A/C, 16" 4x4 wheels & tires, 4x4 susp., Westin black nerf bars

[This message has been edited by doc_f150 (edited 05-10-2000).]

Old 05-10-2000, 08:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy

1) Some 99 models have to have the entire computer sent in to have some minor work done to them (I noticed your year model)..a connection soldered or unsoldered. Mike has had to do this a few times for a few 99 owners. I am not entirely sure which engine computers..but Mike should be along soon to explain in more detail.

or...

2) I had a similar situation with mine..check to see if your computer mounting bracket has a rolled up edge. It ever so slightly pushed on my chip (despite heavy duct tape) and caused my problem. I removed the bracket..flattened part of the edge..and have never had a problem since.

Best of luck!!

------------------
2000 F-150 XLT, 4x2, 5.4L Supercab, Superchip, Styleside, Black with silver two-tone, 3.55 rear, class III towing package with heavy duty cooling package, 4 wheel disk ABS, overhead console, sliding rear window, keyless entry, dark graphite interior, in dash CD, factory leather wrapped steering wheel, Pendaliner bedliner, K&N air filter, rubberized undercoating, cabin filtration system, Bugflector II, 5W-30 Mobil 1, engine build 10/4/99

[This message has been edited by Dustoff (edited 05-10-2000).]

Old 05-10-2000, 08:56 PM
Thumbs up

Thanks for the quick response Dustoff!! I'll talk to Mike hopefully tomorrow, D.

------------------
1999 F-150
4.2L, 5-speed,
3.55 Limited Slip,
reg. cab, short bed, Sport Grill,
Pioneer DEH-P4000 CD,
Tinted windows, "blacked-out" factory rims, 255's in place of 235's (tiny tires!)
Delta toolbox
more to come....

Wife: 2000 Ranger Trailhead Package
Black & Tinted
5-spd, CD, A/C, 16" 4x4 wheels & tires, 4x4 susp., Westin black nerf bars

Old 05-11-2000, 04:23 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Doc,

Those pictures we spoke about are located on the manufacturer's web site at" http://www.superchips.com/jumper.htm

Since you posted this, we spoke a few times on the phone late last night, and then again today. We feel certain that this is a "jumper box", where Ford's supplier of this component failed to connect the internal jumpers properly. As per our discussion today, Superchips is standing by to receive your computer to test it as well as your custom Superchip Flip Chip, and determine exactly what the problem actually is.

Due to the way the circuit in that computer operates, if there is not a good connection, or if the jumpers were not configured properly at the factory, the vehicle under those circumstances can exhibit a "no-start" with the Superchip. Removing the Superchip causes the computer's internal EPROM to turn back on, thus the vehicle starts right up, and this can make people mistakenly assume that there is something wrong with the Superchip, when it has nothing to do with the Superchip itself in reality.

Just to give you a bit more background, the actual failure rate of the Superchip in service runs 0.4%, which is extremely low. It has to go thru numerous steps in the Quality Control process, and that is why it's failure rate is so low. Odds are that only 1 in 220 people will see any type of actual problem with the Superchip itself.

You can have a "no-start" for a number reasons, ranging from a computer having been reflashed to a different code at the dealership, to the connector not being properly cleaned (over 95% of the time, it's due to the connector not being thoroughly cleaned), to a few of the 1999's having this jumper misconfiguration from the factory, etc. Due to how that computer works and the nature of that circuit, no-starts can be caused by any number of things, so while it is *possible* for it to be a problem with the Superchip itself, it's highly unlikely.

You'll be up and running with your Superchip very quickly, and enjoying all the benefits that others are enjoying.

And don't worry about calling us late, if we're here we'll be happy to help.

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Online Superchip ordering system:https://www.f150online.com/scpp/index.html

Old 05-11-2000, 08:00 PM
Thumbs up

Just a quick note....Mike has been a tremendous help from the start to get my Superchip. The problems I'm having are more than likely, as Mike said, due to the jumper siuation. I'm sending the computer/superchip in on Monday to Superchips for proper installation, free of charge I might add!! O.K., I'm done...D.

Quick Reply: FLIP-CHIP NO START!!! Mike, got a moment?