Want to start chevy killing- need advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-1999, 01:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Want to start chevy killing- need advice

First things first, I need to know what mods i can get on a limited budget. My parents are handling the funds for this beast so I can't ask too much considering they have already done enough in buying it for me.

For christmas im getting a Super Chip whatever i have left over from a undisclosed ammount of money will be used towards improving my stereo

(BTW, I have the standard stock Stereo, just a cassette, not even a cd player, and its actually really good considering its stock. I can crank it pretty loud and its still pretty clear) Back to the topic

After the chip what should be next? Exhuast?

Kids at my school seem to be driving Chevy trucks, all of them pre-1999 so they probably carry the 5.7 at best. One problem, the owner Gibson Exhuast systems son goes to my school and he has a real nice chevy, probably loaded with mods, would be great to smoke him with my "POS ford".

Another problem i hear from friends that there is a red chevy that looks bone stock but has a super charger under the hood. Probably will avoid red Chevys for a while

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, especially from the hp heads like Neal

------------------
1999 Silver F-150 XLT Supercab Triton 5.4L 4X2 3.55 LS class 4 whell ABS/4-W disc

Stuff I did not need but came with it
Class III Towing package
Power driver seat
Remote keyless entry
Free Floor mats :P
Hell of a ride

Mods I hope to do
1. Superchip
2. K&N air filter
3. Gibson Exhuast

Add-ons
1. Bed liner
2. Hard bed cover

All I'll ever need with this bad boy

Will be getting pictures soon
ccr-rules@worldnet.att.net

Old 12-03-1999, 02:25 AM
The first thing I would do is suck-up to the Gibson kid and see if you can get a discount on an exhaust system
I just put in a K&N FIPK for a bit over $200 and can recommend it. Many like the Airaid better but I am in Calif (and you must be too). The Airaid is not yet smog legal in Calif, I'm told.
Have fun with that truck! Just got my 97 F-150 and have spent hours on this BBS learning stuff I didn't even want to know! (search for "door cracks" or "piston slap").

Old 12-03-1999, 02:30 AM
Definetly the exhaust and either K&N or Airaid. After that you might look at headers and power pulleys. You will notice the biggest change when putting all mods at the same time. But if you really wanna smoke em and kill a certain red Shovie then by all means get a supercharger

------------------
97 F-150 S/C 4x4 ORP XLT 4.6 K&N , Flowmaster, Bosch+4 plugs,MSD 8.5 wires,Superchip.Patriot fiberglass toneau cover, Westin chrome step bars.
Future mods:4" lift,ram air hood,and a supercharger.

Old 12-03-1999, 02:17 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Dear FuNewGee,

After the Superchip, you can go with either the AIraid kit, which the F150online store is running a special on right now, and then a good cat-back exhaust. I recommend Jardine, (www.jardineproducts.com) as they make a couple horsepower more than Gibson for the same price, but either cat-back system will work just fine.

The sum total of the Superchip, the Airaid or K&N FIPK kit, and the cat-back exhaust is about a 50 hp gain total. Since you have a 4X2 5.4, you have one of the lighter, and therefor faster, Ford trucks. That should get that truck moving along very nicely indeed!

The nice thing is that you can do all these mods one at a time, and in any order you like.

Best of luck with your truck,

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com

Old 12-03-1999, 02:24 PM
Potatoes. Think potatoes. Tailpipes. Think tailpipes. :-)

------------------
98 SC/XL/4.2/5 speed/3.08/MoonLight Blue Metalic/Mobil One Synthetic/235.70S.16 Michelin XC LT4/AR-136 Wheels/Chrome Nerf Bars/Bug Shield/Aluminum Tool Box/K&N/Superchip/NOS maybe.

DAMN FLEXING DOOR CRACK!

Ford Engineering, reinforce the curve in the door! The cracks will stop.

Old 12-03-1999, 04:22 PM
Bill,

Now think Tailpipes on the ground, dragging down the street!

Old 12-03-1999, 09:11 PM
I doubt the Airaid will be smog legal anytime soon. Your right i do live in calif, and we have the hardest smog restrictions of anywhere.

Whats the difference between the Airaid and the K&N FIPK?

About the exhuast im sure i can sqeeze some sort of deal some kind of deal out of Gibson , I might lose a few hp, but it probably would be a deal if he hooks me up.

One problem is that my dad wants me to get a bedliner, which i do want but i also want a hard cover, which he doesnt want to spend the money on.

So future mod money may go to appearance rather than the engine, but oh well im still greatful.

------------------
1999 Silver F-150 XLT Supercab Triton 5.4L 4X2 3.55 LS class 4 whell ABS/4-W disc

Stuff I did not need but came with it
Class III Towing package
Power driver seat
Remote keyless entry
Free Floor mats :P
Hell of a ride

Mods I hope to do
1. Superchip
2. K&N air filter
3. Gibson Exhuast

Add-ons
1. Bed liner
2. Hard bed cover

All I'll ever need with this bad boy

Will be getting pictures soon
ccr-rules@worldnet.att.net

Old 12-03-1999, 11:12 PM
Former Sponsor
Dear FuNewGee,

Both the Airaid and the K&N kits do essentially the exact same thing, which is to eliminate the restrictive factory airbox, and replace it with a low restriction and trick-looking intake with a conical K&N air filter element on the end of it. You get the same power gain from either one, so either will work just fine! You're right, the K&N kit is CARB certified, and that's important for some. I think you can get either one from the F150online store.

Good luck,

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

Old 12-04-1999, 01:13 PM
Former Sponsor
Dear FuNewGee,

Your Dad is absolutely right about the bedliner, that's a very important thing to have, *some* sort of protection for the bed. Besides, you'll have this vehicle for awhile, so you'll have plenty of time for performance mods too.

All the best,

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

Old 12-04-1999, 01:29 PM
Cool

FuNewGee
If you concerned about passing emmisions look at the WMS Velocity tube, I just ordered it, Got my Cat back system in, and Finnally go my Superchip in today, all I have left is the Velocity tube.(if it ever gets here)
--------- http://www.wmsracing.com/f150pkg.html
---------
Plus it looks cool, takes cool air into your engine and is the least expensive of the three aftermarket intake runners.

Old 12-04-1999, 02:21 PM
Don C,

Is this available in the US? Do they have a website that lists retailer that carry the Velocity Tube? The picture in the URL looked great! Are these only available through the Ford Dealerships in Canada?

------------------
Paul... :-)
99 F-150 XLT SC Sport, 4.6L, Auto, Captain Chairs, Class III Towing Package, Sliding Rear Window,
White, 4X2, CD, Soft Factory Tonneau Cover, K&N Filter, Line-X Spray on Bed Liner
More to come

Old 12-04-1999, 06:01 PM
Former Sponsor
Thanks for posting that URL for that piece, DOn C. I took a look at it, and what it does is to replace the silencer tube portion, while the factory airbox is still retained, so that's why it's half the cost of the Airaid or K&N's F.I.P.K. kit. It's a nice looking piece, that will look sharp under the hood!

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

Quick Reply: Want to start chevy killing- need advice