Mike T, local shop suggested

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-1999, 06:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Mike T, local shop suggested

I asked a local shop up here in western canada about superchip, price quote actually. When I received the quote it was 400-470 for your chip. It is canadian dollars so dont choke to hard (lol). He suggested "Power Programers", saying that Superchip, is setup one way for each computer number. If I was to do other mods to my truck, the settings may hurt performance. The price range for this other is 590-600 dollars, but I would be able to recalibrate it as I did mods.
I see the value of having someone here that can advise on computer mods and would like your input. Some of the answers you gave here in the groups were honest by not being selfserving. I respect you for that. I seen posts of people sending in their chips to be recalibrated. If I was to order a chip and list the mods to date would I be better off, or is this salesman out to lunch and has a better margin on the power programer.

[This message has been edited by Bracketracer (edited 11-18-1999).]

Old 11-19-1999, 03:42 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Bracketracer,

OK, I'll *try*.

First of all, to date Hypertech still is not shipping that unit, the Power Programmer III for the Fords, so it doesn't exist yet, unless they started shipping in the last week since I last talked to them. They've been advance advertising it for almost 18 months now, there are over 2 dozen major catalogs that have been advertising it for over a year, and still have yet to ship it. (They have always used advance advertising, to gauge market interest before they decide to actually design and make a particular product.) In addition, when it becomes available, it will be like all Hypertech products, and only add power at WOT (wide-open throttle), that has always been their programming philosophy. Obviously it's very hard for me to tell you exactly what I think, without sounding like just another guy trying to hawk his products over the competition, I just have to point that out.

Right now Hypertech is in a lot of well, turmoil, for lack of a better term. Mark Effingham, the owner of Hypertech in Memphis, fired a bunch of his engineering staff recently, and if you take a look at their web site, they are advertising for just about every engineering position they've ever had. They stopped all custom programming months ago, (despite their web site still claiming to do custom programming)after losing the 1 tuner they had who had the knowledge required to do custom programming for them. Now *PLEASE* understand that I'm *not* trying to bash them by telling you of their problems, as there are very few companies that don't go thru some sort of turmoil now and then. But what's going on right now with Hypertech has really hurt their ability to get new products to market, and it's going to be awhile before they get their engineering department rebuilt and restaffed, and up to speed, in my humble opinion, and according to what we hear from "insiders".

So it's a choice between a product that adds power only at WOT (Hypertech), or the Superchip, that works *all* the time, from 1000-1200 rpm on up, regardless of throttle position, there will be more power available. And of course there is the cost issue too.

To me, it's a choice between getting at least what you paid for with the Superchip, or getting considerably less for more money (Hypertech).

I really hate to make these kinds of candid comparisons in a public forum like this sometimes, (yeah, right!) just because of the automatic assumption that I'm going to claim how much better the product we sell is over the competition. So let me put it to you this way.....if Hypertech was a superior product, we would be happily selling it instead of the Superchip, we've been approached numerous times to take on the product line; I don't care what the name is on the box, all I care about is, does it work and do my customers like it.

You also made a point about the Superchip being programmed according to your vehicle's computer code, and that is *exactly* correct! That's the *only* way to yield a consistent product for every computer code that contains all the same modifications. It causes Superchips to have to do far more R&D for each vehicle. It's a *far* better method that doing a "generic" program for all similar vehicles; it's an advantage, not a disadvantage! With the Power Programmer, it is locked to that one vehicle, and cannot ever be reused on another vehicle. With the Superchip, you can always sell it used right here on the message boards to another Ford owner with the same computer code when you go to trade in your vehicle, they always go very quickly here. Also with the Power Programmer, if a service department ever has to reflash your vehicle's computer to a different code, and this happens, once again the Superchip can be updated, and in *that* case, it's always free of charge!

Also, with regards to working with other modifications you may do, again the Superchip is superior. It is a flash design, and can always be updated for major mechanical modifications for a small custom programming fee, and it's far less than Hypertech charges for their custom programming, which of course they aren't doing anymore anyway.

The Superchip works fine with most of the more popular bolt-ons, such as Airaid kits, headers, cat-back exhaust systems, etc. It's only when you do major mechanical engine modifications that you need a custom program change to your Superchip, things such as ported cylinder heads, a supercharger, nitrous oxide, camshaft changes, etc. And, should you decide to do those types of modifications after installing the Superchip, you simply send it in for an update, for a small fee, thus fully protecting your investment in the Superchip! It really couldn't be much easier, or protect your investment better. For example, right now, the custom programming fee is just $100, though it will soon raise to $125.

So looking at each single issue, the Superchip comes out ahead. It adds more power than Hypertech, it adds power *all* the time, not just at WOT, and it can always be updated for a small fee. And, it's considerably cheaper to boot. Sounds like a clear winner to me, but then, I sell 'em.

I hope I've answered your questions in the manner you hoped for, and please don't hesitate to give us a call.

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com

[This message has been edited by Superchips_Distributor (edited 11-19-1999).]

Old 11-19-1999, 04:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Sorry to put you on a hot seat, after posting I reread it and should have e-mailed you. But true to your reputation with the users of F-150online, straight from the hip you answered. You also are directly responsible for selling a Superchip today. I hope your employer understands that company input, the way you help here, is a great customer serve. It paid off today, now I'll cut it short, I have a purchase to make.

Old 11-22-1999, 02:40 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Dear Bracketracer,

No problem, and thanks for your email, too! My employer is me, so I'll pass your compliments on to "the Boss".

We wish you all the best, and hope you have a great Thanksgiving week!

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com

Quick Reply: Mike T, local shop suggested