Flipping on the Fly?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2003, 11:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flipping on the Fly?

Mike ,
Is Superchip working on a Flip chip that we can switch on the fly. I am very happy with my JDM tuned chip and like using JDM as a tuner but would like to be able to swich on the Fly like other chips (Diablo,Autologic).
Will this ever hppen or is Superchip concentrating more on the future with hand held port units for when chips will not be used?

Thanks

VINNIE

Old 02-14-2003, 05:46 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Vinnie,

Nice to see you again!

Actually, you *can* flip the Flip Chip's switch on the fly if you want to, we've just always tended to discourage that just because there are those who have 2 programs that are so different that it wouldn't be appropriate to switch on the fly. There are some custom setups where you wouldn't do that, but aside from that, in reality, from a physical & mechanical standpoint, you actually *can* switch it on the fly if you want to.

Just remember that you may have some of the previous program sitting there in the processor that will be, of lack of a better term, "overwritten" as you drive it & it pulls instructions from the other eeprom inside the Flip Chip. Depending on just what the differences are between the 2 programs, that will really be the deciding factor as to whether or not that would be appropriate to switch it on the fly.

I would try doing that the first few times under circumstances where you won't cause a traffic problem if the PCM should happen to "hiccup" when you flip the switch (and I'm being overly cautious here, obviously), but other than that, you can do the flip on the fly unless you've got a big difference between the 2 programs, like maybe a completely different MAF, or different gear ratios, tire sizes, etc.

Good luck!

Old 02-14-2003, 10:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mike ,
thanks for the response. Good news indeed.
I was always led to believe that with the Superchip, not only couldn't you flip it on the fly , you had to take the key out of the ignition.

I will post this info on the Lightning forum.

thanks again for the fast and informative response.

VINNIE

Old 02-16-2003, 11:53 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Vinnie,

One thing to think about before posting that info is that this depends on just what the differences are between the 2 programs, I.E., just make sure that there is nothing going on with the program on the other side that would make it inappropriate to switch on the fly like that.

In other words, I wouldn't say that it's OK with *all* Flip Chips to flip it on the fly no matter what combination of programs a given Flip Chip might have, with some it will be and with others it might not be.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Flipping on the Fly?