Chip Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2003, 02:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chip Question

Form what I understand installing a chip will only give you positive results (more HP, better MPG ect) and all it is doing is "reprograming" the trucks computer. If this is true why doesn't Ford program the computer to get the best performance from the factory?

Old 01-22-2003, 02:58 PM
Because of the "tree huggers"

Old 01-22-2003, 03:04 PM
?

What would the "Tree Huggers" have a problem with? The chip getts better MPG right? Does a chip make the emissions worse?

Old 01-22-2003, 04:25 PM
I'm sure you'll hear this from Mike T. also, but automakers dial down the engine to appeal to a broader base of customers; I think I heard that there are approximately 70% of sales that involve women. A "too-agressive" ride may turn off a broader (no pun intended) base of customers. I'm running a Superchip Microtuner and wouldn't have it any other way!

Old 01-22-2003, 09:13 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Herkey,

Because Ford isn't going to tune it so that it requires premium gas from the factory as is required with the Superchips tuning, as that would reduce sales of the vehicle, especially fleet sales to construction companies, utility companies, etc., who typically want to run the cheapest lowest grade fuels possible. So the F-150 (and most other vehicles, too) are generally tuned for the lowest common denominator in terms of the fuel supply, thus reducing power & performance.

You're not going to gain enough fuel mileage to completely offset the added cost of premium gas, some people driving 15K-20K miles per year will spend as much as $2-$3 a week more at the gas pump to use the Superchips tuning. That's nothing to anyone who can afford to own one of these trucks, but no fleet buyer will ever do that, so these trucks will always be tuned for cheap low grade fuel from the factory, they always have been & always will be, a few rare exceptions in the 60's & 70's aside.

Last edited by Superchips_Distributor; 01-23-2003 at 08:24 PM.
Old 01-23-2003, 09:30 AM
Thanks

Thanks for the answer, that makes complete sense. I just bought my first F-150 ('97 XLT 4x4 supercab 4.6L with 40k miles) and I'm tring to learn a little about them.

Quick Reply: Chip Question