Wash Mitts???

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2002, 04:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wash Mitts???

What do you guys use to wash your trucks with to avoid scratching your paint? Are the wool wash mitts better than the cotton ones, or do you just us a cotton towel?

Jake

Old 09-15-2002, 10:56 AM
100% cotton wash mit

Old 09-15-2002, 12:41 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
100 % cotton here too.

Old 09-15-2002, 03:08 PM
I use a sheepskin mitt. I'm thinking of switching over too MF (microfiber) because I hear they last longer and are more softer on your paint. The only downside about MF is I hear that they are real pain in the a$$ to clean. But if it's softer than sheepskin I'll go for it.

https://www.f150online.com./gallerie...allery1323.jpg

Old 09-15-2002, 03:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by f-150_91
I use a sheepskin mitt. I'm thinking of switching over too MF (microfiber) because I hear they last longer and are more softer on your paint. The only downside about MF is I hear that they are real pain in the a$$ to clean. But if it's softer than sheepskin I'll go for it.

https://www.f150online.com./gallerie...allery1323.jpg

I've actually used a MF wash mit for about 6 months and I'm tired of it. I actually think it caused more swirls than it prevented. I'm going back to 100% cotton and probably gonna get some Sea Sponge wash mits.

We'll save my MF wash mit for acid baths.

Old 09-15-2002, 06:21 PM
I use a brush. Soft boar's bristle. No scratching and no chance of dirt getting caught in it and scratching the paint. It also gets into the nooks and crannies such as the grill.

I screw a long handle into it and it makes washing the truck a lot easier, especially the roof.

I used an all synthetic brush for many years prior to th boar's bristle. It was made in Germany and had blue feathered bristles. It finally started falling apart. It was also very soft and didn't scratch the paint.

Old 09-15-2002, 07:11 PM
Alright, thanks for your reply's. I'm going to go pick up a 100% cotton wash mitt.

Jake

Trending Topics

Old 09-15-2002, 07:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Dennis
I use a brush. Soft boar's bristle. No scratching and no chance of dirt getting caught in it and scratching the paint. It also gets into the nooks and crannies such as the grill.

I screw a long handle into it and it makes washing the truck a lot easier, especially the roof.

I used an all synthetic brush for many years prior to th boar's bristle. It was made in Germany and had blue feathered bristles. It finally started falling apart. It was also very soft and didn't scratch the paint.
If you chose to go with Dennis and use a brush, then make sure you don't apply pressure to the brush. The tip of the bristle is what is meant to do the cleaning. If you apply pressure and push down on the brush, then the bristles spread out and the sides start to hit the paint. They aren't meant to be on the paint and will increase the chance that the brush will scratch.

Old 09-17-2002, 02:19 AM
Originally posted by Intel486
If you chose to go with Dennis and use a brush, then make sure you don't apply pressure to the brush. The tip of the bristle is what is meant to do the cleaning. If you apply pressure and push down on the brush, then the bristles spread out and the sides start to hit the paint. They aren't meant to be on the paint and will increase the chance that the brush will scratch.
Good point!

Oh, in regards to mitts, I'd go with a terry cloth mitt and I would have two or three of them. Use one for the horizontal surfaces, then a new one for the upper sides, then one for the wheel wells and lower parts of the truck. Helps eliminate the chance of the mitt picking up too much dirt which might end up scratching the paint.

That's why I like the brush. Very little chance of gritty stuff scratching the paint (actually the wax layer, not the paint).

Quick Reply: Wash Mitts???