Wet Sanding Truck

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2002, 05:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Wet Sanding Truck

I've heard that wet sanding your truck with 2000 or 2500 grit sand paper will take some of the haze off of it. My truck is only 1 year old and is in good shape. The clear coat looks like it isn't perfectly clear. Any suggestions or information will help. Thanks

Old 06-05-2002, 05:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The haze is from oxidation. You don't remove oxidation by wetsanding. Wetsanding is mainly used in chip repair, paint repair, and scratch repair. But yes, wetsanding (knows as colorsanding when talking about vehicle paint) will remove the oxidation. It is just not the proper way to remove it.

If the oxidation is light, then you can use an orbital buffer and take the haze off. A polish like 3m SMR, Meguiar's #9, or ProWax's Swirl Elminator will remove it.

If it is heavy, then call a professional and have him use a rotary buffer on it. He'll make it shine like new!

Old 06-06-2002, 02:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Intel. One of the other reasons I was thinking of wetsanding it is that there are what I call fish eyes in my paint. It looks like overspray or something. The bumps are clear and I didn't realy notice it until the otherday. It's on the factory paint and the hood I bought. I've clayed my truck and used Meguiars #9 and they're still there. What do you suggest?

Old 06-06-2002, 05:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did the Meguiar's #9 take off the oxidation? If not move up to something a little heavier.

Fish-eyes are usually cause by silicone or another paint repellant on the suraface before painting. They cause little round dark dots. If they see that on panels, they usually repaint them before shipping. Fish-eyes are something that appear quickly after painting so Ford should have caught them.

Are they drips in your paint? Possible to get a picture.

Sanding might get them off if they are in the clearcoat but problem is fish-eyes are usually much lower in the coating. In the base coat or primer.

If they are drips in your paint, then you need to sand those down at your own risk. Sometimes the drip isn't in the clearcoat but is in the e-coat, primer, or base coat. If it isn't in your clearcoat, then you'll quickly sand down through the little clearcoat over the drip and into another layer.

Quick Reply: Wet Sanding Truck