Automotive service question (Who should cover this cost?)

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2001, 12:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Automotive service question (Who should cover this cost?)

Ok, after doing some research and talking with some folks at the dealer, I've found that the sliding rear window units on 97-99 F-150s have been found to be faulty and they leak in the rain. Well, the dealer has to fix mine because I'm under the 3yr-36K mile warranty. I've had this truck for over 2yrs so I have done stuff to it, such as tint the windows. My question to you is, how do I go about telling the dealer this, I feel Ford should pay for my rear window to be re-tinted since it is not my fault that the window failed. Any thoughts on how I should get this point across to the service department, and any tips on how to get this taken care of? Thanks.

Old 12-12-2001, 01:18 PM
not any ideas but if your dealer is like mine they will try to tell you its not covered because it has been altered

Old 12-12-2001, 02:14 PM
Hmmmmmmmm

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. I had the same problem. I had my rear slider tinted, 7 months later it started to leak. Took it to Ford, told them they should cover the cost of my re-tinting. They did better then that. They put in a new gasket(of coarse) an a new FACTORY TINTED SLIDING back window. They asked me if that was alright. I was like HELL YEA! The factory tinted windows are pretty dark. Talk to them, see what they can do.

Old 12-12-2001, 05:42 PM
Personally, I don't think it's fair to expect Ford to pay for aftermarket tinting. The warranty only covers Ford installed parts. If you want the tinting saved, you need to get it removed yourself. It would be the same case with decals. It's not part of the original warranteed parts, so if you wanted to save them, you'd have to take care of them yourself.

Old 12-12-2001, 06:16 PM
Well Dennis,

I think it is fair. It's not like this has happened to a few choice windows. It has happened to QUITE afew. Had I known about this problem before, I would have got the window replaced, then tinted. It's the least ford could do in my opinion. I guess if I had an Amp back there that got shorted out because of there faulty window, I should suck that up too. Please.

Old 12-12-2001, 06:35 PM
I had the factory tinted window when I bought it, but it wasn't dark enough so I had it darkend. I'm worried too cause my subwoofers are right where the window is leaking so I'm taking it in as soon as possible. As far as the tint, I'm probably just gonna keep going up and up in the Service chain till I find someone who will pay for it. $50 isn't a lot to a Ford Service rep who wants to keep me happy, but $50 is a lot to a college kid on a budget

Old 12-12-2001, 11:54 PM
Most dealers have someone on contract to tint. It's not that expensive. Some dealers are good, some bad. I'd check around if you can.

Trending Topics

Old 12-13-2001, 06:12 PM
lets face it, tint is an appearance mod, not an aftermarket performance mod. The Ford defect caused damage to your window tint. If the window didn't leak, your tint would be fine.

Old 12-14-2001, 05:06 AM
The warranty does not cover modifications. It only covers the Ford parts that came with the truck.

Old 12-15-2001, 02:20 AM
Quality is Job #1. It's not my fault their defect caused damage to my property.

Old 12-15-2001, 10:05 PM
Hey, look. I'm just being a Devil's Advocate. There are just some things that even if you argue till you're blue, it won't change anything. So, ask the dealer for the sky, but don't be disappointed if you don't get all you want.

Old 12-15-2001, 11:50 PM
OK Al Pacino

Old 12-16-2001, 02:22 AM
Dennis,

I understand, the role of Devil's advocate is crutial to the well being of mankind. As for my argument, I have to state a rubuttal, I just hope that it's enough to convince'em.

Quick Reply: Automotive service question (Who should cover this cost?)