Meguires 3 step or Zymol? Or other?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2001, 02:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Meguires 3 step or Zymol? Or other?

I was at pepboys and saw a display with a meguires 3 step system(cleaner, polish, wax) and a couple other cool items(mist and spray?, Quick detailer?). I have only applied wax to my truck and never used a cleaner or polish. I have a lot of swrills and was thinking that this system would really clean it up like new. Would anyone recomend this process? I have also heard a lot of good things about the Zymol. Maybe a combonation of the 2?

By the way my truck is maroon.

Old 06-21-2001, 03:52 PM
I usually use steps one and two of the Meguire's (clean and polish) then wax with Zymoil. Looks great, but is hard work.

------------------
2000 F-150 XLT Sport, Silver 4-door Supercab StyleSide
Short Bed (Only way to fit in the garage)
17" Sport Wheels with BFG tires, 3.55 R, 4.6l V8, Auto (First one in 20 years)
In-Dash Single CD Player, 60/40 Split bench dark graphite

Mods So Far
K&N Filter, Gatorback Spray-In Bedliner, Llumar ProShield Window Tint
WMS Velocity Tube (removed due to hum), Black Westin Step Bars, Lund Trident Hood DeflectorFlowMaster Delta Flow 50 muffler in place of stock

Future Plans
Superchip, Upgraded Speakers/Stereo

Old 06-21-2001, 06:17 PM
Thumbs up

ZAINO....nuff said

------------------
2001 SCREW, Lariat, 4x2, Two-tone Black, 5.4 V8, Cab steps, Leather bench, cd changer, 3.55
FloppyDonkey2180@cs.com

Old 06-21-2001, 08:29 PM
I've gone back to using the Meguiar's products again and the 3 step method works pretty well. In fact you may not need all three steps, if the paint just has swirls the Polish and Wax will do; you really only need the cleaner if the paint has light oxidation or something other than extra fine scratches and swirls.

[This message has been edited by Indyfan (edited 06-21-2001).]

Old 06-22-2001, 10:24 AM
JW

Check out www.autopia-carcare.com.

Good information on removing swirls.

You will also get good information on products.

Old 06-23-2001, 04:44 PM
CHERRY WET WAX

------------------
99' F150 LARIAT S/C WOOD DASH -5.4---3.73'S AIRFORCE 1, AMSOIL, OFFROAD EQUIP GROUP, TOW PACKAGE ,TECH STYLE TONNEAU,

. pic atwww.f150world/las52/

Old 06-29-2001, 07:13 PM
Think I finally have the right combination for black paint. Use Zymol HD Cleaner and then wax with Zymol Carbon. For a fairly quick touch up, use Turtle Wax Color Cure or even faster Mist & Shine.

------------------
2000 HD FORD
HOLLEY "THUNDER" SC
JBA HEADERS
FLOWMASTER SERIES 50
99 FLHTC-UI HARLEY

Trending Topics

Old 06-30-2001, 10:15 PM
Thumbs up

Howdy All,

Here's a pic of results using Meguiars Fine cut cleaner, show car polish, and Medallion premium paint protection applied via D A Orbital polisher Porter Cable 7424.

------------------
2000 F-150 Lariat, Flareside, Black, SC, FOxFO, 5.4L, 4R70W TranZ, 3.55 Limited Slip Rear Axle, Garmin Street Pilot Color GPS, Bed Rug, ExTang Saber Tonno, CatchALL Floor Mat's, VentShade Visors, Limo BLaCK Tint'd Windows, PIAA Platinum Super White Headlight Bulbs with XTra Technology, FLoWMaSTer 40 Series MuFF, Mobil 1 5W-30 and Motorcraft 820-S Filter, SuperFReaKiN - FLiPCHiP Cal'd for Regular and Premium FueL,

Soon..............

AiRaID FIPK, Expedition Front and Rear Sway Bars, F-1 HooD, P305/75/R17 BFG KO's, 3" Body LiFT

www.tnugent.com/

[This message has been edited by LoNE WoLF (edited 06-30-2001).]

Old 07-04-2001, 01:52 PM
I use only Meguire's. I do 2 steps once a year and 1 second wax in between. I use a high speed buffer with a very light buffing compound (minimizes swirls and clear coat damage) to remove any crap and scratches, then I will use an orbital buffer with Meguire's pure carnuba and put on 2 slow coats of that. I have tried many thing since i stopped detailing cars, but haven't found anything else that is as effective, readily available, or a more complete line of products than Megiure's. No I don't work for them, I have just had very good results from the products.

Old 07-06-2001, 05:05 PM
I have always sworn by Zymol waxes and cleaners. Meguiars makes a great product, but there are additives in most of their waxes and polishes (like petroleum distillates) that I don't want to put on my paint. The 2 main drawbacks to Zymol are the cost, and the labor associated with using it. You only need to do the 2 step process (HD Cleanse and Wax) once a year, but it is a real bit*h. On a truck as big as ours, budget a solid 4 hours to do both! Their polish/wax combo (available at AutoZone, Walmart, etc.) is very good. Great shine, fairly easy to use, and if you apply it correctly (only in straight lines, no circular motion) it helps with swirls and scratches. However, it has a very low wax content so it doesn't protect for very long. I just bought some wax from a company named P-21. Best known for wheel cleaner and window cleaning supplies. I plan on trying it this weekend on my truck and my wife's car. They claim that it will not leave white residue on trim, and that is has no chemical additives, just beeswax and carnauba. Bought a whole kit online with car wash, wheel cleaner, pre-wax cleaner, and wax for around 45.00. That is less than the Zymol wax itself! I'll let you know if it works. Check out www.autosupermart.com. Great selection and best prices I've seen.

Old 07-07-2001, 11:50 PM
Thumbs up Zaino is the only way to go

Just a quick comment about Zaino Bros' Show Car Polish. This stuff works! The key word is polish, as everything else out there is just a wax with a little silicone thrown in for good measure.(Actually the silcone is what gives your truck the shine, but has no durability)I challenge those carnuba products to wash their trucks with dish soap and lets see how shiny their trucks are after the wash. Since Zaino is polymer based you can wash it with dish soap, and the finish will not be affected.I have been detailing cars and trucks for over ten years and have found nothing to date that compares with the Zaino line of products.If you need more info just E-mail me and I would be happy to speak further to you. I have a 2000 Harley Davidson truck which looks amazing with the Zaino. Check out my web site for the pics.

http://www.checkeredflagdetailing.com

Old 07-08-2001, 06:21 PM
I have used McGuires products for years. They have always done a great job. I can't speak for the other product, never used it. I'm sure it is of good quality though. The three step process is the way to go, clean, polish, protect. If you have the clearcoat swirls, the paint scrubber, or simular will work great.

Old 07-09-2001, 10:50 AM
Just a comment about Mr. Chrome's comment, no offense meant.
While I do agree that Zaino leaves a great finish I would caution people NOT to try dish soap AFTER going through the Zaino process (or any other product). While the FINISH may look the same after you're done the PROTECTION offered by the product will be gone; anything you can put on with your bare hands can be washed off, and the stronger the soap the quicker it'll come off.

Old 07-09-2001, 11:05 AM
Do you all recomend using the side to side application? I actually had never heard of this untill now. What about if your using an orbital buffer?

Old 07-09-2001, 10:54 PM
Follow-up to Dish Soap

Just a clarification about the previos reply in regards to dish soap. It is true that dish soap is very harsh, however this is the first step in applying the Zaino treatment to any vehicle. All of the carnuba and silicone needs to be removed prior to applying the Zaino. This is done to provide a silicone and wax free surface. You are not totally correct in your comment that anything that is applied by hand can be washed off by dish soap. Zaino will not be washed off by dish soap, as only two things can be used to remove Zaino: Aclay bar or a solvent based cleaner such as Prep-Sol. There is no advantage to using an orbital buffer with Zaino products as it does not require the heat of the buffer to do the work. That is what makes Zaino Swirl and Scratch Remover so good as you can apply by hand and cause no additional damage to your paint. I caution anyone who does not have experience using a buffer(random orbit or variable)not to be so quick to start. Today's clear coats are only about 3 to 4 mil in thickness, which means it does not take much to blow through the clear into the color coat. Zaino is a polish not a wax! So it does not compare to Mequires which is a wax which is loaded with silicone. Remember that waxes leave a thin yellowish haze as the protection. Zaino is 99.9% optically perfect which leaves the true paint colors through. And you can layer Zaino with no wax build-up. In closing just remember that paint finish that has wax on it will be washed off by dish soap. Zaino is a polish not a wax and the only other polish out there is Finish First, which is loaded with abrasives, and will scratch clear coats and regular paint finish.

Quick Reply: Meguires 3 step or Zymol? Or other?