Polish vs. Wax

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2001, 04:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Polish vs. Wax

I am a little confused, what is the difference between wax and polish? Thanks...

Old 04-18-2001, 10:26 AM
You're going to get a ton of opinions of this so here' mine, actually this is how it was explained to me by the folks a Meguiar's.

Polish changes the surface of the paint (by removing a very thin layer) and restores the shine. Wax gives the shine depth and helps protect it.
In other words polish makes paint shinny and wax helps keep it that way.

That explanation goes out the window and further confuses people when manufacturers (like Zymol) call their wax a polish, go figure.

------------------
1999 Lariat Super Cab, S.B. 5.4L, 3.55 LS
and every option but the leaky slider window.
Bright red w/ gold 2-tone, Leather Captain's Chairs
Mods: Duraliner bedliner, Bugflector II, Hide-a-hooks.
& a leeetle chrome tip on the exhaust.

Old 04-19-2001, 12:07 AM
JDF
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A wax or polish will only "change" the surface of the paint if it has a cleaning abrasive.
Wax is natural and old technology and will not last as long (does look good) as a polymer polish.

Old 04-19-2001, 10:47 AM
Give me that "old technology" anyday!!!
Polymers are hard finishes and last a long time. But they wear unevenly and, over the long haul, can't hold a candle to a well-maintained finish that has been regularly sealed, waxed and polished.

Old 04-19-2001, 01:49 PM
JDF
Cool

Anybody who uses that multiple step process, zaino, mcquires etc. has too much free time on their hands. I'll stick to using once a year polish "twice" a year and that's about it for me. I'll let the next owner worry about it. BTW, regardless of what you use, it will never look any better than the quality of clear coat FORD uses anyway. Unless of course you sandblast the paint off and repaint without clearcoat. Then you are waxing real pigmented paint.

Old 04-19-2001, 02:07 PM
Cool

Well, I just like to make my truck shine better than any other up here in my area. I take care of mine, and keep it in show condition all the time. Guess I just like my truck more, and want people to like lookin at it.

------------------
98 Black F150 S/C 4x4 ORP 5.4

4" Rancho lift, 14 KC lights, lots of other goodies. Check out www.F150World.com/Mudder for pics and all the info.

Old 04-19-2001, 03:02 PM
Thumbs up

Man, I paid 30 large for my truck...ain't no way I'm gonna drive it around looking anything less than cherry.

I really don't consider maintenance on a $30,000 investment a waste of my time. I actually kind of enjoy it. It get's me out into the great outdoors.

Chicks dig the miror finish too. They can fix their hair in it. I actually encourage it!

------------------
* 2000 F-150 XLT Black FS; 5.4L; 4x4 ORP
* Da Flip Chip! * 3.55 Limited Slip * Stepups
* Sliding Rear Window * 6-Way Power Seat
* Remote Keyless Entry
* Lund Trident Bug Shield * Custom Exhaust
* Fumoto Oil Drain Plug Valve (a must for do-it-yourselfers!)
* Wise Bedrug

So many mods, so little cash! On the up side, no wife to create a filibuster.

Trending Topics

Old 04-19-2001, 03:33 PM
I do the 2 step mothers gold wax every saturday and I can count the number of stone chips I have on both my hands... which is good considering I live 3 miles down a gravel road. I own a heateds work shop so I go there every saturday and wax. It is what I do and I find it very relaxing... cleaning the interior is another story... boring! considering going to Zaino as soon as I find out where to buy. heard too many good things about it to not try it. Oh and my truck was after taxes $44735. It has to last me 4 years and I want it to look good for those 4 years. All those out there who wax religeously and keep all service records will find they get more for their truck in a private sale.

My two cents
Jimmar

------------------
2001.5 SuperCrew XLT 4X4
Silver Clearcoat Metallic
Deep Wedgewood Blue (accent)
5.4L V8
Chrome Tubular Step Bars (Ford)
Captains Chairs
Power Moonroof
3.55 LS
6750 GVWR
Class III Towing Pkg

Mods:
Harley Davidson Exhaust
'01 Lightning Head/Tail Lamps
Pioneer DEH-9200r
Boston Acoustic Components & 5X7s
Box Liner (Ford)
Splashguards (Ford)
Bug Defector Doubles as Rock and Sand/Salt Deflector in these snowy Canadian winters

To Come:
17" Rims/Tires
K&N Air Filter

Old 04-19-2001, 04:00 PM
Thumbs up

Cheap therapy, that's what it is!

I use Zaino. Love it. Get compliments on my truck all the time.

------------------
* 2000 F-150 XLT Black FS; 5.4L; 4x4 ORP
* Da Flip Chip! * 3.55 Limited Slip * Stepups
* Sliding Rear Window * 6-Way Power Seat
* Remote Keyless Entry
* Lund Trident Bug Shield * Custom Exhaust
* Fumoto Oil Drain Plug Valve (a must for do-it-yourselfers!)
* Wise Bedrug

So many mods, so little cash! On the up side, no wife to create a filibuster.

Old 04-19-2001, 04:07 PM
I love pampering my truck so much that I am getting ready to start on my Brother-in-laws truck real soon. He has to sell it and I am going to make that beautiful truck glow!! By the way, that reminds me, does anyone have a suggestion on a good clay bar? I have never used one before and want to test it out on his truck

Old 04-19-2001, 04:15 PM
BlueOx: Mother's makes a good one, but their are others! Try www.autopia-carcare.com . . .

------------------
Gots: 2000 F-150, 4x4, SCab, XLT, Island Blue, Styleside, 157” Wheelbase, 5.4L EFI, 4-Speed Auto O/D, Class III Towing Package; AM/FM/CD; Dark Graphite 40/60 Cloth Seats (F/R); Rear Slider; 4 Wheel ABS; “Ex-Tang” Snapless Tonneau; Ford “Duraliner” Bedliner; “CDA” Paint Saver Pad; “Lund Runners” Truck Steps; “Husky” Splashguards; “Weather Tech” Floor Mats; “Saddleman” Hood Protector; “WeatherTech” WeatherFlectors; 4th Brake Light (again!); “Pilot” 55 Watt Backup Lights (pair, under hitch).

Wants: “K&N” FIPK; “Gibson” Dual Sport Truck Cat-Back Exhaust System; “Exotic Wood” Steering Wheel & Dash Kit; “RoadMaster” Active Suspension; Lighted “Blue Oval” Logos – grill and tailgate; Remote Starter; Pilot Driving Lights; “Lund” Backdraft Tailgate Spoiler;

Old 04-22-2001, 01:00 AM
There is a product call Colonites. It's an insulator wax. This stuff is super slick. The most slickest wax I have ever seen. I have been using it as a finish on every car, truck, and bike I have ever owned. The best thing about it is that it goes on like an oil. Even if you don't get all of it off, when it dries, it's clear. No hard or residue on plastics also.

It was originally used on boats and sirplanes to a smoother surface with the least amount of drag. It's hard to find but well worth it.

------------------
bIGGINS
2001 F-150XLT 4X4 Sport SuperCab
Styleside, Short Bed, Black on Black, 4R70, 5.4L, 3.55reg, 17in Rubber, Snapless Bed Cover

[This message has been edited by biggins (edited 04-22-2001).]

Old 04-22-2001, 10:04 PM
JDF
The colonite product line is available at most marine supply stores.
I use it on my boat and it seems to last about three months which is actually very good in a salt water environment. Never thought about using it on cars????

Old 04-23-2001, 09:32 AM
You'll find Collinite (and other great stuff) here:
http://www.autofanatics.com/collinite1.html

I've used AutoFanatics a couple times. Good service. No problems.

BLUE OX: I use the "Erazer" clay bar and have had excellent results with it, but certainly there's others out there.

Old 04-25-2001, 10:59 AM
They key for using the Collinite is to make sure there is a good working surface before applying it. I put it a day after having my truck buffed and waxed at a professional detailer. (the day after picking it up from the dealer is it me or do they all do a bad job vehicle prep)

It's like a mirror now. Black is really hard to keep clean and shiny but with this stuff, dirt and dust hardly sticks to it. And if it does, I use one of those California Dust things (forgot the real name) and it slides off with out scratching it.

------------------
bIGGINS
2001 F-150XLT 4X4 Sport SuperCab
Styleside, Short Bed, Black on Black, 4R70W, 5.4L, 3.55reg, 17in Rubber, OEM Snapless Tonneau Cover

Quick Reply: Polish vs. Wax