Few questions before Spring...

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 02:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Few questions before Spring...

Since I can't actually go out and do anything with my truck, the next best thing is to talk about it...

I have a couple of questions I'd like to figure out/take care of before I'm able to play with my detailing supplies again. I've been using my PC for a while now and I'm getting fairly confident with it. I'm looking to upgrade to something with a little more power. What is the learning curve on a Flex 3403? Also, how often do you guys wash your drying towels?

Old 01-11-2011, 03:47 PM
Former Sponsor
The Flex 3403 is a great tool, but its a pretty sizable learning curve making the jump from DA polishers like the PCXP. The risk of paint damage goes up DRAMATICALLY so a good deal of caution is needed.

The other considerations to make is do you actually need the cutting power of a rotary polisher? If you've gotten proficient with your PC your paint should be in decent enough condition that a rotary isn't needed. If you're doing cars for other people thats another story, but if its personal use and your paints in decent shape a rotary might be overkill.

You don't use a bazooka to swat flies if you catch my drift.

If you're hitting your head on the limitations of the PC, getting like 90% correction and want to go for 100% maybe look at splitting the difference and going to the Flex 3401vrg... kind of a hybrid of DA and rotary polishing. Significantly less risky for the hobbyist detailer, but still more powerful than the PC. It'll get you results much faster and will handle pretty aggressive corrections. It won't skip a beat taking out 2000 grit sanding marks for example, so swirls and average paint issues aren't much of a challenge if your technique is right.

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-551-a...shing-kit.aspx

Old 01-11-2011, 04:08 PM
I agree on the Flex D/A if you need something a bit more powerful. I wash my drying towels after every wash usually.

Old 01-11-2011, 04:21 PM
Former Sponsor
LOL... I got so wrapped up in the machine question I forgot about the towel question.

YES... wash after every use. I recommend using only allergen friendly detergents (low dye, low perfume) lowers the impact of those additives clogging up the towel and rendering it less absorbent.

If you choose to machine dry never use fabric softener.

Always wash your microfiber separate from other materials. If you mix in cotton for example the microfiber will tend to want to grab the excess fibers from the cotton and then redeposit it on your paint creating an annoying lint issue.

Wash and dry MF only with other MF.

Old 01-11-2011, 04:50 PM
Distilled White Vinegar during the rinse cycle is nice too...

Old 01-11-2011, 05:53 PM
Great answers guys. I've been washing my towels after every use, but wasn't sure if that would wear them down quickly. I've been using the scent free/dye free detergent, but never thought about why I needed to use it (lady friend has a skin allergy to most perfumes... saves me a lot of money haha). I've been using my PC on MY truck, but I got a job at a funeral home doing maintenance - weird i know - which mainly involves washing all three of their black cars before each service. They've talked to me about doing corrections on their cars. I wouldn't be learning on their cars, but eventually would use the rotary on them. I will probably end up getting the 3401. I'm just trying to find something to get me through the cars a little quicker. I just bought my f150 and stumbled across this site looking for information on the Gotts mod, and now I can't stop reading! So much information. I do have some decent corrections on my truck to take care of, but no pictures right now... been snowing all freakin day.

Old 01-12-2011, 01:09 AM
Former Sponsor
The 3401 is substantially quicker so you're making a good decision there.

Even if you ignore the fact that the Flex has forced rotation in addition to the oscillating movement it still is much more powerful.

The PCXP caps out at 6800opm while the 3401 ramps all the way up to 9600opm and then tosses in 480rpm for good measure. Its a handy machine... you'll be very happy with it.

Old 01-12-2011, 01:37 AM
When (if) my G100 ever goes, it'll be replaced with the 3401. It is just too amazing of a machine IMO not to have! It'll allow for faster correction, but you'll still have that safety of it not being a straight-up rotary, just in case...

Old 01-12-2011, 04:14 AM
The only limitation to the flex is using pads smaller than 5"
In tight places I like using my G110 with 3.5 to 4" pads.
Otherwise the work and time saved will amaze you.

If im just drying water after a not so dirty wash I may from time to time use a still clean looking microfiber 2 times and ditto on the white vinegar in the rinse.

Last edited by Old Dogg™; 01-12-2011 at 04:16 AM.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:12 AM
Originally Posted by Old Dogg™

If im just drying water after a not so dirty wash I may from time to time use a still clean looking microfiber 2 times and ditto on the white vinegar in the rinse.
How much white vinegar? Just a little squirt of it?

Old 01-12-2011, 03:30 PM
Former Sponsor

Agreed. The non-changable backing plate is an issue... I just leave my PCXP setup with the 4" pads and plate most of the time now. Knock down the entire vehicle with the flex, then come back thru and do spot work with the PC.

Old 01-12-2011, 04:21 PM
Originally Posted by kmgordo99
I always wash my towels on the "full load" setting, so I use a cup.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:32 PM
I keep my PC set up with 4" pads at the ready, and use my Flex for 99% of the work I do. It is just so much nicer to have safe power at the ready.

I do have a Makita and Dewalt but things have to be really bad for me to reach for them.

then again, when I am being called...something bad happened somewhere along the line.

I have many videos out on YouTube with my Flex...

Cheers

My Cousin is Rockpick.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:35 PM
Originally Posted by kmgordo99
When I first heard of washing microfiber towels with vinegar I asked the same question several times.

It depends on how many towels, what type they are, how dirty and the type of soap but I use an unmeasured splash.... or 2.

Everyone has their own preference but I noticed such a difference after using it in the softness and for lack of a better word workability it's a mistake when I forget it. For soap, I also use an unmeasured amount of Dawn dish detergent and even a squirt of Murphys Oil Soap (for pads too).
Snappy Clean™ pad cleaning powder is excellent also but expensive when compared to Dawn and MOS.
Good Luck!

Originally Posted by RollingRock
Cheers

My Cousin is Rockpick.

Last edited by Old Dogg™; 01-12-2011 at 11:37 PM.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:20 AM
When I first heard of washing microfiber towels with vinegar I asked the same question several times.

It depends on how many towels, what type they are, how dirty and the type of soap but I use an unmeasured splash.... or 2.

Everyone has their own preference but I noticed such a difference after using it in the softness and for lack of a better word workability it's a mistake when I forget it. For soap, I also use an unmeasured amount of Dawn dish detergent and even a squirt of Murphys Oil Soap (for pads too).
Snappy Clean™ pad cleaning powder is excellent also but expensive when compared to Dawn and MOS.
Good Luck!

I have a dozen of the packets of powder. I never would have thought to use them with MF towels though. So you use Dawn in place of actual laundry detergent?

I appreciate all the replies. I looked pretty hard for the question regarding the towels, and I'm either terrible with the search button or there wasn't much out there. I talked myself out of the rotary pretty quick... but it's getting harder and harder not to order a flex every time i get on here.

Quick Reply: Few questions before Spring...