water spots

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2000, 03:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post water spots

Well since I bought my black truck I have had the dreaded waterspots even if I dry it using a chamios.I decided to do a little experiment yesterday to find out what the problem was. I filled a very large(about 4 gallon) pot with tap water and put it on the gas burning woodstove. When the water was gone, there was this yellowish film all over the inside of the stainless steel pot.I am pretty sure this film(minerals) is what causes my waterspots.Hard Water.

Old 12-26-2000, 06:52 PM
If you dry the car after washing and it has spots, then they must have been caused by (either you or the previous owner) not drying car after washing (or ever) or rain/snow left to dry on car. Spots are usually contaminants left behind after evaporation or surface damage to the paint/clearcoat. It may require more than a "cleaning" wax or polish to remove them.

JMO...XLTD

Old 12-27-2000, 01:27 AM
Here is a little more insight-MY truck is black and in the summer you simply cannot dry it fast enough.I bought it brand new(Y2k F150 sport 4x4 xl)in march.Btw I live in oregon(60 miles from the pacific ocean) there is no acid rain here.All water spots come from washing it.Even this time of year it is hard to dry it fast enough.Most of the spots are on the hood.I am thinking my water is so hard that you need to cut off a peice for a drink.My next truck will not be black.

Old 12-27-2000, 10:37 AM
You say that most of the spots are on the hood, could be that you've been parking it next to a sprinkler?

Old 12-27-2000, 10:52 AM
Lightningcrashz,

Whoa, didn't mean to imply you are negligent. Maybe it sounded so... I'm not a "flamer", sorry. I have been to Oregon once and it is beautiful (Portland, Beaverton area). I realized your truck was black. Maybe you should wash it early or late in the day when it's not so hot. No acid rain? OK. But to believe that there are no contaminants in your rain (or snow) is nieve. Rain/snow cleanses the extreme lower atmosphere. What ever is in the air will soon be on your truck. The heat from your engine will heat the hood and accelerate evaporation thus depositing "things" there. Sometime these deposits will promote the decay of your paint as well. I agree black is awesome looking but thats why I drive a white one here in Fla. Best of luck to ya', Happy 2001. XLT_D

Old 12-27-2000, 01:48 PM
Rain is fairly soft. Doubtful that there's much mineral content. pH is a different matter, but shouldn't cause water spots. Acid rain will eat away at the paint, or cause rail dust to bloom and pit the paint, but it shouldn't leave a mineral water spot.

Suggest you wash your truck with carwash soap to remove the dirt, then wash with white vinegar (dissolves mineral deposits), then strip off the remaining wax with something like dish washing detergent. Then polish/wax your truck right away.

Next time you wash your truck, get yourself an electric (no oily exhaust to grunge up the paint) leaf blower. Use a good car washing soap. Then rinse off and blow the paint dry right away.

The leaf blower is the best thing to dry a truck FAST and if it's well waxed, you won't get any water spots at all. If you think the water will still dry too fast, just keep the rest of the truck wet while you're drying it. i.e., dry the roof while you keep the hood and sides wet. Then do the hood/front fenders while keeping the doors and the back end of the truck wet.

My leaf blower (which I only use to dry my truck) has a concentrator on the end. I swear, I can dry my truck in 5 minutes. Is that still not fast enough for you?

Old 12-27-2000, 06:58 PM
Leaf Blower,white vinigar,I would have never thought of that. Might have to give that a shot.As for the wax-there is none.My wonderfull dealer threw in that paint sealant at no charge.I don't *think* it is compatible with waxes.I will call the dealer to find out more. I am hating that stuff more and more.Most water will run right off the sides, but the hood is flat enough that the water pretty much just sits there in little droplets.Anywhere a droplet was there is a water spot.Time of day that it is washed doesn't relly help either.The rain from the storms blows in from the pacific over a few small coastal towns and to my town.Not over any major industrial areas.

[b]Excelent Driver[b]Sorry if I came off sounding harsh.If you think it is nice in the portland area you would love it here.Alot of Evergreen trees,mountains and wildlife.Roseburg(where I live) only has a population of 25,000 people.There are no industrial companies here(that produce major pollution).

I just washed it today (temp 45 degrees) and I must wash it again-love those spots. thanks for the help everyone

Trending Topics

Old 12-27-2000, 10:23 PM
update I got a hold of the detail shop at the dealer(after being on hold for 1/2 hour) They said its been long enough that I can wax it.Its gonna get the the Meguuairs 3 step system tomorrow.Maybe this lack of wax was helping in create this problem.

Old 12-28-2000, 07:31 PM
Cool

Good sealants require a companion cleaner/protector done regularly to maintain effectiveness. Black vehicles are "hell"..lol. My area now makes much more whitish spots than my previous area, an old timer here told me it was water sodium content here. It looks like limescale, or whatever, it sucks !! Good Luck !!

------------------
2000 F-150 XL, RC, LB, 5.4L, 4R70W, 3.55LS,
Class III tow, Payload #3, & Convenience pkgs.,
4-wheel disc/ABS, Chestnut/Parchment 40/60,
Ford bedliner w/Paintsaver & gas/wheel/spare locks,
K&N F.I.P.K. w/Outwears pre-filter, Superchip,
Dynomax ultra-flow welded 3" cat-back w/ 3" Y-pipe,
Hellwig front & rear anti-sway bars, Rancho RS 9000s,
Mobil 1, K&N oil filter.

[This message has been edited by max mitchell (edited 12-28-2000).]

[This message has been edited by max mitchell (edited 12-28-2000).]

Old 12-30-2000, 03:47 AM
Smile

A word of advice-don't attempt to wax a truck outdoors when it is only 40 degrees out. I was only able to complete 2 out of the 3 step meguiars wax.The cleaner/swirl remover took about 1 1/2 hrs to dry. The polish took a good 2 1/2 hours to dry.I am very happy with how the truck looks.All of my little scratches were in the clear coat and are no longer visible(until I get within 2 feet of them) I ran out of light before I could get the actual wax on. I think I might have to visit my aunt with a heated garage to finish up.

Old 01-03-2001, 10:48 AM
Lightningcrashz.
You don't have to wait for the Meguiar's polishes to dry before you remove them. They work on the principal that the abrasive particles wear out as you rub, once they're worn down completely the polish stops working and you can remove the excess, wet or dry.

------------------
1999 Lariat Super Cab, S.B. 5.4L, 3.55 LS
and every option but the leaky slider window.
Bright red w/ gold 2-tone, Leather Captain's Chairs
Mods: Duraliner bedliner, Bugflector II, Hide-a-hooks.
& a leeetle chrome tip on the exhaust.

Old 01-03-2001, 11:40 AM
One way to help not get water spots when washing is take the spray nozzle off your hose for your final rinse and let the water just pour out on your truck. This does two things. 1 It makes most of the water sheet off your truck, leaving no water beads. 2 The metal parts of a spray nozzle actually magnetizes the minerals in the water causing them to stick to your paint. By just pouring water out of the hose without the spray nozzle, it doesn't cause this to happen and you have almost no water spots even if you don't dry your truck.

------------------
Boss™

Ordered June 29th, 2000; pick-up date Nov 28th, 2000: 2001 F-150 Lariat, Oxford White/Silver Supercab 4x4, Styleside, 5.4L, 7700# payload, Class III Tow, 3.73LS, Skids, Leather Captains, 4W disc ABS, shift-on-fly, keyless, HD everything
Planned Mods:
"Protected by the Owner and his 2 friends, Smith & Wesson" sticker, Westin Chromed Stainless Nerf Bars, ARE LS II bed cover, Bedrug™, Gibson Swept Side Cat Back, K&N filter w/airbox mods, Pacesetter ceramic coated headers, Superchip, 3" body lift with at least 33's, alarm/pager/auto start system, stereo system

Old 01-03-2001, 04:34 PM
My bad, no wonder it took so stinkin long to dry. lol. I guess i should have read the instructions At any rate the truck does look so much better now.I still haven't made it to my aunts to do the waxing. I think it will get another coat of polish before it gets waxed.When I can make the time.

Old 01-04-2001, 03:27 AM
Cool

If you try the meguires caly bar on that hood it will get all those water spots right off and any other contaminants. Its worked very well for me and others and it will leave you with a VERY smooth finish.

Quick Reply: water spots