Wiper blades - Which ones work?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2000, 08:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Wiper blades - Which ones work?

I just purchased a 2001 F150 and not surprisingly the factory wipers are the cheapest set of blades I've ever seen.

I've owned/leased Ford trucks for some time and I've been unable to find wiper blades that will stay on the windshield at high (50+) speed. What usually happens is that the blade is "picked up" off the windshield by the wind and doesn't do squat on actually cleaning the windshield.

Has anyone had any luck in finding a decent manufacturer of wipers/blades that are heavy enough (Or designed) to stay on the windshield? Especially given that winter is mere weeks away.

Old 11-01-2000, 02:35 PM
Talking

ANCO Winter Blades, 22 inch, even get the curve on the passenger side of the winshield clean. They work the best of any I have found, and do not raide up off the glass at higher speeds.

------------------
2000 F-150, XLT, SPORT 4X4, BRIGHT RED/DARK GRAPHITE, SUPER CAB,
SHORT BED, 5.4L, AUTO, 3:55LS, TOW PACKAGE, HD COOLING/ELECT, SKID PLATES
SPORT CLOTH SIX WAY POWER CAPTAIN'S CHAIRS, CONSOLE, SINGLE CD,
CRUISE,ESOF,REMOTE KEYLESS, FORD SNAPLESS TONNEAU COVER, FORD BEDLINER,
FORD MOLDED SPLASH GUARDS, FORD BODY COLOR CABSTEPS,
MODS: CATCH ALL FRONT MATS, LUND DEFLECTOR, FORD VENT SHADES,
GIBSON SWEPTSIDE CATBACK,
K&N GENII FIPK,
FORD HITCH COVER

NEXT: SUPERCHIP!!

Old 11-01-2000, 07:41 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've found that the Anco's are the second best.... the best are the Ford OE blades... Mine usually last about a year to a year and a half, and the Ancos last 6 months for me at most. I've only bought two sets of wipers in the last 5 years... (two new vehicles in that time)... when I had my Ranger, I had to replace the Ancos every 3 months, but I was working at Murray's Auto Stores at the time, and everything had a 90 day warranty, so I used to get new ones whenever I could. :-)
-Joe-

------------------
98 Explorer (Lemon Law Case in Progress)

'00 F-150, X-cab, 4x4, Lariat, Off-road, Trailer Tow, Holandia Sunroof, built 11/99 picked up 10/00!
List of planned mods: Clear corners and tails, CB wiring, Stainless brush guard, at least 1 set of KCs (probably more!), custom radar detector mount, color matched trailer hitch with stainless steel ball, torsion bar tweak, bug deflector, spray in liner, and a tonneau of some sort...

Old 11-03-2000, 05:40 PM
I like the Bosch Microedge blades the best. I used to use Anco blades on all my cars and was never totally satisfied. I started using the Bosch blades and they work really well. I usually replace them every 6 months or so.

my 2 cents

------------------
2000 F-150 XLT, 5.4L, 4x4, auto, Extended Cab, Deep Wedgewood Blue, 3.55, Towing Package, Sliding window, CD player, 4 wheel abs/discs, 255/70/16's, bedmat, K&N Gen II FIPK
Planned Mods: Black Max Tonneau, Grill Guard (Manik or Polar Bear), More lights

Old 11-05-2000, 05:43 PM
Thumbs down

I've had ANCO blades in the past with not much success at highway speeds or in freezing rain conditions, so I'm not all that interested in trying them again (Unless they've changed their design in the last 5 years).

I'll tae a look at the Bosch & the Ford blades, though I must admit that I'm leary of buying such stuff at the dealer on general principle.

Old 11-05-2000, 08:03 PM
On the driver's side, I've got the driver's side wiper blade off an older Windstar ('98, I think), the kind with the scoop on the bottom to catch the wind. I had to modify the plastic clip that attaches to the wiper arm by sanding the F-150 clip on both sides to fit the narrower Windstar blade, and I had to drill out the slot a little.

I used this Windstar blade on my '98 F-150 and then transferred it to my '00, though the rubber refills have been replaced several times. I like it because I don't slow down when it rains and -- with the scoop -- I find this blade doesn't lift at speed.

------------------
Black 2000 SC short-box XLT. 4.2 V-6, 5-speed, 3.55 limited-slip. CD, remote entry, factory side steps, rear fender inner splash shields (TSB 00-09-05), FORD box liner.

My third F-series. The other two: '73 F-100 Custom, 240 cube 6, 3 on the tree, tan, "West Coast" mirrors, step bumper, knitted vinyl seat, AM radio; and '98 F-150 XL-SC, XLS package, Pacific Green, 4.2 5-speed, 3.55 ls, FM-cassette.

GREAT trucks!

Old 11-05-2000, 08:35 PM
My OEM last(working properly) less than 3 months or more or less 6k miles in my case. Never at the dealer to get those OEM again.

Right now I do not remember the brand I am using (maybe from Trico, I will try to get it tomorrow for you) but I think that living in the tropics causes all kind of rubber to deteriorate prematurely.

------------------
My Ride: 1998 F150 4x4 Lariat Supercab Flareside 5.4L in Oxford White/gold, ORP, Tow Package, 3.55 Gears.

Modifications: K&N FIPK, Stepshield door sill protectors, Performance Accesories 3" body lift, Lift Lips, Gabriel Gas Ryder LT VST Shocks and Daystar front anti-sway bar polyurethane bushings.

Photos at: http://www.communicomgroup.com/jmtruck

Trending Topics

Old 11-07-2000, 10:38 AM
I know nobody wants to hear this but I've never had a problem with blades "lifting" off the windshield at any speed. I just drove through Phoenix a few weeks ago and got caught in storm in the middle of the desert and the wipers worked fine at speeds between 60 & 70 mph. BTW, they're the factory wipers and they're 2 years old.

------------------
1999 Lariat Super Cab, S.B. 5.4L, 3.55 LS
and everything but the leaky slider window.
Bright red w/ gold 2-tone, Leather Captain's Chairs
Mods: Duraliner bedliner, Bugflector II, Hide-a-hooks.
& a leeetle chrome tip on the exhaust.

Old 11-15-2000, 03:33 PM
Cool

I agree - i have 25 months and 64,000km on my original wipers. I beat the snow and ice off them all the time. and they still clear nicely. A couple times a year i put on that RainAway stuff from Wynns - and i find it to help wiht clearing snow, rain or mud off the windsheild.

Best of luck

Old 11-17-2000, 11:49 AM
bambino

Thank you and yes we need luck like yours. I've been trough 3 wiper blades sets already and need another change now. They do not last too long cleaning properly. I think I will try a new brand this time.

------------------
My Ride: 1998 F150 4x4 Lariat Supercab Flareside 5.4L in Oxford White/gold, ORP, Tow Package, 3.55 Gears.

Modifications: K&N FIPK, Stepshield door sill protectors, Performance Accesories 3" body lift, Lift Lips, Gabriel Gas Ryder LT VST Shocks, Daystar front anti-sway bar polyurethane bushings and 35x12.5R16.5LT BFG All Terrain KO's on 16.5x9.75 American Eagle 589's.

Photos at: http://www.communicomgroup.com/jmtruck

Old 11-17-2000, 05:09 PM
I've had ANCOs on for several months. They worked fine until it started getting cold. I think the rubber gets too hard and they kinda skip across the glass. I'd pay more for some good ones that stay pliant in cold temps.

Old 11-18-2000, 07:09 AM
Thumbs up

I noticed right after I had the truck that the viewing area when raining left much to be desired.I just purchased a set of 22" Lexor blades from our friendly Wal-Mart. Best thing since peanutbutter! Thanks to these BB posts, they jogged this the old mind to recall that problem.

------------------
2000 Flareside SC w/upgraded Lariat pkg, 4x4, towing pkg, all power including rear window, Oxford w/gray leather,5.4 w/3:55,K&N and looking to go to Flowmaster Sport Truck exhaust and Hellwig bars.

Old 11-18-2000, 09:06 PM
Cool

Hmm, my OEM blades are 8 months old and work great. They have chattered a few times on the higway, but those were in huge wind gusts. My old Ranger did the same.

Kenster: You might want to get some winter blades. They are a different rubber compund for the cold, and the frame is wrapped in rubber to prevent ice from freezing up the metal parts. I recommend winter blades to anyone who hasn't tried them and lives where it snows. You have to get the whole blade though.

------------------
2000 F150 XLT 4x4 Short Bed. Amazon Green, 5.4L, SuperCab, ORP, Tow Package, Sliding Rear Window, Electronic Shift, Keyless Entry, LT265-70-17 Tires, Clarion Pro Audio, Herculiner Bedliner, Air Silencer Removed.

1994 SVT Mustang Cobra. #1032 of 6009. Black coupe with black leather int., 3.73 rear, Bassani Exhaust, Aluminum D/S, Bridgestone RE-71 255-45-ZR17

My Home Page

Old 11-20-2000, 08:41 AM
Question

[This message has been edited by Jimb (edited 05-21-2001).]

Old 11-20-2000, 01:47 PM
I noticed nobody's mentioned this yet, haVe you tried cleaning the wiper blade? Whenever you wash your truck use the sponge to clean the wiper blades. Place the sponge or mitt between the wiper blade and the glass and move it back and forth along the blade, it'll probably leave a black streak on the mitt. Turn the mitt to a clean spot and do it again, keep doing this 'till the black stuff no longer comes off. YOu'll notice a big difference in the effectiveness of the wiper blades.

Quick Reply: Wiper blades - Which ones work?