Waxing New Paint

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2000, 01:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, its okay as long as its been about a week since it was painted. my advice use a liquid wax like mcquires for new cars.

------------------
1999 Black F-150, Quad, V-6, SPORT.
MODS:Ford Bedliner, SONY CD-CHANGER w/ AMP and POLK Speaks. Cool stickers that make me go fast
Future: Im gonna trick it out.

Old 10-19-2000, 07:20 PM
Cool

Yes, it's fine to wax it. New paints dry extremely fast. Sometimes you might get advice not to do so by people that have been in the industry many years, because that has been the case in the past.

------------------
2000 F-150 XL,RC,LB,5.4,4R70W,3.55LS,
Class III tow/Payload #3/Convenience pkgs.,
4-wheel disc/ABS,Chestnut/Parchment 40/60,
Ford bedliner & gas/wheel/spare locks,
3" cold air box modification, Superchip,
Dynomax ultra-flow welded 3" cat-back,
3" exit Y-pipe, Hellwig rear anti-sway bar,
Rancho RS9000s.

Old 10-19-2000, 07:33 PM
JDF
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

SorryBro,
What's wrong with captains chairs?

------------------
2001 F150 SC SPORT 4X4 FLARESIDE
* Black
* 4.6 240 H.P.
* awesome factory 10 spoke 17" wheels
* "MAN"ual shift 4x4
* 3.55 Limited slip
* Captains chairs W/console
* Factory tube steps
* Slider

Old 10-20-2000, 12:23 AM
Question Waxing New Paint

Hi,

I have a new f150 on order and it should be here in another 3 weeks. I'm wondering about putting wax on the paint right when I receive the truck. I heard that the new paints do not need time to cure before you wax them. I have to park the truck outside with quite a few trees around, so I would like to get it protected right away. Has anyone heard whether or not it is ok to put some wax on right away? Thanks

------------------
On Order:
2001 XLT SC SS 5.4 4x4
Off Road Package
3.55 LS
Class III Towing Package
All the goodies (except those damn captain's chairs)
Mod Wish List:
Superchip
Cold Air K&N mod
3" body lift
Exhaust (of some sort)

Old 10-20-2000, 09:54 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's not a problem waxing it right after you get it. It's not necessarily necessary, but the added protection certainly won't hurt. The paint is as hard as it's going to get as soon as it comes out of the curing ovens at the assembly plant, so don't worry about it.
-Joe-

------------------
98 Explorer (Lemon Law Case in Progress)
Deposit on '00 F-150, X-cab, 4x4, Lariat, Off-road, Trailer Tow, Sunroof, currently missing the fuel filler door, but they're working on that..

Old 10-20-2000, 08:20 PM
I hesitate to suggest this, but it might save you from having to get your truck repainted.

Mine had rail dust damage that I didn't notice right away. Eventually, the rail dust in combination with acid rain ate right thru the clear coat. Ford repainted the truck under warranty, but it's really hard to beat a factory paint job for durability.

Had I known what to look for, I would have found the rail dust and would have had the truck clay barred.

Although I waxed the truck the same week I got it home, it didn't remove the embedded rail dust. Had I run a clay bar over it, I'd still have the factory finish on it.

At the time I had my truck repainted, I heard that Ford was going to start protecting their trucks better during transportation from the factory. Don't know if this has happened or not. It's worth a check with the dealer, especially if you have dark colored paint.

btw, I didn't notice the damage until the pits got so big that wax got stuck in them and turned white.

Old 10-21-2000, 12:15 AM
Question

How hard is it to remove this rail dust? I ran it through the Mobil handsfree car wash prior to waxing it.

------------------
2001 F150 Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 with 5.4L V8, 3.55 Diff
Options: Class III Trailer Towing Group, 4x4 Skid Plates, Electonic Shift on the Fly, 17-inch 10-spoke cast aluminum wheels, Moonroof, sliding rear window, bed extender, keyless & remote entry, cab steps, Line-X bedliner

Trending Topics

Old 10-21-2000, 10:25 PM
I think the only way to get rid of rail dust is to use a clay bar (with suitable lube). Car washes won't cut it. Nor will hand washing or waxing. I guess you could use compound, BUT that would wreck your clear coat. The only relatively safe fix is to use the clay bar.

Old 10-22-2000, 04:11 PM
Sometimes, if you have a white truck, you can actually see the tiny rust spots from the steel. If the paint is dark, I'm told you can actually feel the embedded rail dust if you run the edge of a piece of cellophane over the paint. Theory is, the edge catches on the dust. I don't know if that actually works.

What I would do is find out if your truck was shipped with the protective plastic sheeting on the horizontal surfaces. If it was, I wouldn't worry about rail dust.

Personally, the next new vehicle I buy, I'll automatically clay bar it when I get it home.

BTW, read your warranty booklet very carefully. Not sure about the 2001 and newer models, but you have a 1 year/12,000 mile warranty on the paint and front end alignment.

That alignment work is very important. Find a dealer who is sympathetic to you to perform this service. If you don't get it done, you'll pay over $200 to get it done the first time because a couple of parts will need to be installed before a shop can align the truck the first time. Some service writers are really good about this.

Old 10-23-2000, 12:42 AM
Hey guys,

Thanks for the helpful advice.

Dennis: What does rail dust damage look like. My truck is coming straight from the factory and I want to make sure everything is perfect before I take it home from the dealer.

JDF: My problem with the captain's chairs is that they don't seem very truck-like. Kinda like leather on a truck; it just doesn't fit. That's just my opinion and not meant to be a flame, just funny.

Thanks for all your suggestions guys. Can't wait for my truck.

------------------
On Order:
2001 XLT SC SS 5.4 4x4
Off Road Package
3.55 LS
Class III Towing Package
All the goodies (except those damn captain's chairs)
Mod Wish List:
Superchip
Cold Air K&N mod
3" body lift
Exhaust (of some sort)

Quick Reply: Waxing New Paint