Removing paint smear

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2000, 11:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Removing paint smear

Truck body received an orange paint smear from a shovel handle. Somebody have a good idea how to remove the smear without damaging the truck's green body paint?

Thanks!

Old 09-20-2000, 08:36 PM
Cool

If it is paint, you might try a "Clearcoat Safe" polish/scratch remover (many brands at any auto store). If it was a plastic handle or coating, you might try some WD-40 on a very clean rag, followed by thorough washing, and waxing. Good luck !!

------------------
2000 F-150 XL,RC,LB,5.4,4R70W,3.55LS,
Class III tow/Payload #3/Convenience pkgs.,
4-wheel disc/ABS,Chestnut/Parchment 40/60,
Ford bedliner & gas/wheel/spare locks,
3" cold air box modification, Superchip,
Dynomax ultra-flow welded 3" cat-back,
3" exit Y-pipe, Hellwig rear anti-sway bar.

Old 09-20-2000, 11:43 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If it is original factory paint, just spray some carburator cleaner onto a clean rag and quickly wipe the scuff. The scuff will come right off. There is no problem if you do this quickly. I have done this on a few expensive cars and never had ill results. Factory paint if very hard and resistant to softening. Modern refinish paint is almost as durable, but it will soften if exposed to a harsh solvent for some period of time. Of coarse this will strip wax, so wax the area after you are done.

------------------
97 XLT S/C Long Bed 2wd, 4.6 Romeo, 4R70W Trans., 3.55 LS, 195,000 miles

Old 09-21-2000, 10:27 AM
I would hold off on the carburator cleaner. I would go with the polish first. If that doesn't work you might try some turpentine, it's not as strong as carb cleaner, although you should still be careful with it.

------------------
1999 Lariat Super Cab, S.B. 5.4L, 3.55 LS
and everything but the leaky slider window.
Bright red w/ gold 2-tone, Leather Captain's Chairs
Mods: Duraliner bedliner, Bugflector II, Hide-a-hooks.
& a leeetle chrome tip on the exhaust.

Old 09-21-2000, 05:37 PM
DO NOT USE CARB CLEANER!!!!!

Take some of your wifes nail polish remover, mix whatever amount with a 50/50 mixture of water......and presto, you have the worlds best paint cleaner upper.

Trust me this 50/50 mixture removes everything from road tar to paint overspray. It will not get rid of scratches, but will remove just about anything that is contaminating your paint.

The 50/50 mixture WILL NOT HARM YOUR PAINT OR CLEARCOATS AT ALL....GO FOR IT AND TRY IT OUT!

Let us know the results....enjoy!

Old 09-21-2000, 09:15 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I spent a number of years working in both the auto repair and auto body repair and refinish industry. I have used carb cleaner sprayed onto a rag to remove scuffs on cars ranging from Porches to Chevys and Fords. I have never had a problem. The benifit you get from carb spray is that it is a commonly available "hot" solvent. Also, It will melt out some of the dullness left by the scuff. It really only takes one or two wipes to get most scuffs off (1-5 seconds). I have seen more paint softening by using colder solvents which force you to keep the paint wet with solvent for a longer period of time to get the scuff off.

This is a somewhat common practice in the auto industry. If you don't want to try it or don't believe me, I understand. But when you get paid by the job, you learn to do things as quickly as possible (and cover up the occasional boo boo). Perhaps you could try this on a beater to prove to yourselves this won't damage the paint.

Old 09-23-2000, 10:50 AM
Wink

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll give the nailpolish remover method the first shot and then work my way up on the cleaner strength if the scruff won't come off.

2001 - It seems a bit drastic that I'll have to first get married in order to use my "wife's" polish remover. Maybe a scruff mark isn't all that bad afterall. :-)

Trending Topics

Old 09-25-2000, 04:22 PM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned rubbing compound. Use one that's meant for application by hand and labeled "fine". Chrome cleaner, Bon Ami (a household cleaner) and even a silverware polish are good, too, because of the very mild abrasives they contain. (you KNOW chrome cleaner is mild.) Wax the area when finished.

Quick Reply: Removing paint smear