I'll bring it to you!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 06:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll bring it to you!

I've got a 2006 F150 Lariat Crew (black) that I just had detailed and now I need either paint correction or a new paint job! The guy said he had 15 years experience but judging from what I'm looking at, my 0 years would have put me in a better position. The truck looks grey and none of the swirls or scratches are gone, they look worse.

He used a rotary grinder with a pad and Maquires something or other cutting stuff that had a number 8 on the bottle with a scale out of 10, so I suppose it was pretty aggressive.

My question, is anyone close to the Canadian/Michigan border that knows how to fix this and willing to have me bring you the truck? I'd love to submit the pictures I've taken but I don't know how to do that.

The sooner the better! I haven't slept since I paid him $400 for 6 hours of work, not knowing what the results were until I actually had the truck in the sun and then put halogens on it. When he finished it, under cloud cover it looked good.

I look forward to hearing from you,

Thanks

Old 08-17-2010, 08:56 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go to autogeek's web site and ask the same question; they're gonna want pictures, too.

Or try truthindetailing's forums.

They both can help you find a local detailer that knows his stuff.

Jim

Old 08-17-2010, 12:54 PM
I'm betting big swirl marks and holograms on the truck if a rotary was used. I've seen _so_ many pictures posted of people screwing up paint using a rotary. They use it as it's quick. But if you don't know what you are doing, it's going to really screw up the paint.

Sorry to hear about this.

Old 08-17-2010, 03:00 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Besides getting your truck fixed...what did this idiot do about it? Did you point it out to him, and what was his reply? Hopefully you didn't pay anything.

Old 08-17-2010, 05:51 PM
The guy that did it has been in hiding since he found out I've been looking for him. He'll eventually surface, his addiction won't allow him much by way of freedom one way or the other. I paid him $400 too soon ... too late. I know there are people on this forum that have tons of knowledge and I'm sure someone can direct me to that person and hopefully I can remedy this situation. If I wanted to sell it right now, I don't think I could in the condition it looks. The interior is absolutely mint and its only got 38K on it, but the paint is from my view, totaled!

Old 08-18-2010, 06:53 AM
Im sorry to hear the condition your truck was left in. I am not a professional detailer or ever claim to be. But I do a little detailing for friends and family. To do the average vehicle, I ushually spend 6-8 hrs. straight out doing inside and out. Some need more help inside than out , some its the opposite so it all balances out. I wish I could get the kind of money your talking about. I work cheap because they are friends and family. I wish you luck in getting the paint corrected.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:22 AM
Pics needed for sure but without, how bad could an 06 be? Using the Porter Cable polisher, clay bar, meguir's 105 and 205 compounds, and a good wax SHOULD cure it easily. Watching videos they post on autogeek and evenon youtube on how to use the polisher work well. It is easy, but requires time. I just did mine finally, been talking about doing for 6 months (did I mention you need a bit of time!) and it was hard to screw up.

There is a posting on here somewhere on how to post pics, moderators or someone can help here, I forget also and my normal computer took a dump so I'm using someone elses which I have no pics of my own to try and post.

Last edited by BLUE20004X4; 08-18-2010 at 10:25 AM.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:35 AM
depending on how bad the holograms from the rotary are, it may require a rotary to fix the issue.

My suggestion is to take it to a real professional, at this point. Someone that knows what they are doing, and someone that has proven ability, that you have seen with your own two eyes.

sorry Houston is so far from you .. I would fix it for free, just for the challenge of it.

Old 08-18-2010, 01:25 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
Take a vacation and take Gipraw up on his offer!

Old 08-18-2010, 09:06 PM
Give Kevin Hamill a call from GTA in Detail. He is one of the best around.

http://gtaindetail.com/

Old 08-18-2010, 09:22 PM
http://gtaindetail.com/pics/regal071008/

My truck looks exactly like this Regal. Sides, hood all the same, when light hits it, it looks grey. I thought posting the link would be quicker than taking pix and posting them.

Hope that helps.

Gipraw, I've never been to Houston but I've got a niece that lives in Little Rock and it would make for a nice trip!

Old 08-24-2010, 11:02 AM
Originally Posted by WemaBoss™²³

My truck looks exactly like this Regal. Sides, hood all the same, when light hits it, it looks grey. I thought posting the link would be quicker than taking pix and posting them.

Hope that helps.

Gipraw, I've never been to Houston but I've got a niece that lives in Little Rock and it would make for a nice trip!
They probably look something like this in the sun, yes? http://gtaindetail.com/pics/caymans080708/images/h.jpg

Almost like weird homogram-y type lines where he moved his buffer?

It's buffer trails/rotary holograms; too aggressively buffed and not finished down properly. As mentioned, depending on the severity you could fix them yourself with a random orbital like a PCXP; but it'd require ~$400+ invested in tools/products and of course the time learning. A decent detailer should be able to clean it up relatively easily provided the first guy didn't do any permanent damage (which I doubt).

I don't know anyone off hand in the SSM/UP area but I just e-mailed a guy I know who used to be in Detroit to see if he knows anyone.

Old 08-24-2010, 11:18 AM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
Small correction - a PCXP is a dual action buffer. Random orbitals are only good for applying wax, they don't have enough power to do paint correction. Rotarys are quite destructive in the wrong hands.

Old 08-24-2010, 12:04 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by WemaBoss™²³

Hope that helps.

Sounds like the classic "some moron went crazy with a rotary" mess. First of all, sorry to hear that. The good news is that many times it can be fixed by somebody who knows what he's doing. Gipraw certainly knows what he's doing. I brought a black F-150 back for a friend after a dealer "detailer" did pretty much the same thing to it.

On the other hand - and being quite honest with you - it depends on how much paint (clear coat) the idiot took off. RollingRock took a black Lexus on that almost was his undoing. (The full story is over in The Detailer's Cafe.)The previous "detailer" literally removed all of the clear coat. The only real "cure" for that car was a new paint job.

How bad off are you? It's literally impossible to tell online - even with pictures. One really needs to measure how much paint is left and compare it with factory specs to get any idea.

Old 08-24-2010, 12:16 PM
Originally Posted by glc
Small correction - a PCXP is a dual action buffer. Random orbitals are only good for applying wax, they don't have enough power to do paint correction. Rotarys are quite destructive in the wrong hands.
I believe either description works; the PCXP is a dual action random orbital.

To the OP, here is an option: http://www.autolavish.com/Autolavish_Site/Welcome.html

The owners name is Marc Harris, they are in Michigan and will travel. I have not seen his work personally but he is highly regarded on Autopia. If you use him, tell him Kevin from GTA In Detail and David F from FL say hi.

Last edited by picus; 08-24-2010 at 01:27 PM.

Quick Reply: I'll bring it to you!