The best in exterior and interior trim protection

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 12:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The best in exterior and interior trim protection

Just a note on vinyl and trim care.

For the very best in reviving and protecting your exterior and interior trim you need to check out Meguiars new "Ultimate Protectant". This is the best trim and dash protectant that I have used bar none. It has some light cleaning abilities but this is a protectant first and formost, so applying to a clean surface yields best results. Applied sparingly it will yield long lasting results and revive and darken your faded trim to that factory new look or better, as well as leaving the very best in UV Protection. Goes on easy and dries quickly WITHOUT leaving a greasy finish. This stuff actually bonds to your trim and dash just as Wax/sealant would to your paint, so you can expect it to last on the exterior trim through multiple car washes and rain days. Check it out it will be the best $8.95 you ever spent

Oh and in case you were wondering I'm not affiliated in any way with Meguiars, but rather a very satisfied customer !!

Last edited by birdshooter; 07-09-2010 at 12:10 PM.
Old 07-09-2010, 02:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is just about the only Meguiar's product I haven't been completely satisfied with, truth be told. It is a great product, no doubt. It just never lasts as long as it says it will for me, or as long as others have had it last. It was much better after I scrubbed the heck out of all the trim, but still...

Old 07-09-2010, 02:40 PM
Interesting.. I've had on my exterior and interior trim now for almost 2 weeks and I can tell it's still there. Granted I haven't washed the truck in that time, but it has rained several times and still there. I suspect the interior trim and dash will go much longer.

I still find it to outlast anything else on the market that I have tried. Haven't tried them all, but have experimented with several. Certainly better than anything else Meguiars makes for vinyl protection. Neat thing is how it darkens and restores that factory new look without being overly glossy and no greasy after touch once it dries.

Last edited by birdshooter; 07-09-2010 at 02:43 PM.
Old 07-10-2010, 12:29 AM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
It did a fantastic job on my soft tonneau. I tried it on my bed rails though, it didn't do squat and it ran pretty bad. I don't like glossy interiors so I use QID there.

Old 07-10-2010, 04:20 AM
I've always thought it was something to be compared to BlackWOW. Maybe I'm just setting myself up for disappointment...

Old 07-10-2010, 10:53 AM
The real key to applying UP is to NOT get it on too thick, or it could run i suspect. Used very sparingly and worked into the plastic/vinyl, I've had no issues with it running. I use it on bed rails exterior side mirrors, winshield cowling etc... no issues when used sparingly.

Roush, not familiar with this BlackWOW, so couldn't comment on that. What's your experience with it ?

Old 07-10-2010, 10:59 AM
Originally Posted by glc
It did a fantastic job on my soft tonneau. I tried it on my bed rails though, it didn't do squat and it ran pretty bad. I don't like glossy interiors so I use QID there.
In my experience UP does not create a super glossy finish. Much of the glossiness is normally the result of what your applying it to. Some plastics just create a shiny finish no matter what you apply. I find if I do a final wipe down with a MF it leaves just the right amount of gloss for my taste. Best of all is how quick it dries as I hate anything that leaves a greasy touch ala Armor ALL.

Last edited by birdshooter; 07-10-2010 at 11:01 AM.
Old 07-10-2010, 01:43 PM
glc
It's not even close to Black WOW.

Old 07-10-2010, 01:59 PM
See, now i have read just the opposite over at Autopia with some stating that UP lasted longer than BlackWOW.

It seems the reviews of UP are mixed with some having great success with it and others such as yourself that think it is just so-so.

Old 07-10-2010, 02:13 PM
I've tried many different methods to get it to last, and have come up with "meh" results every time. The last time I applied it, I scrubbed every piece of trim it was going on with APC+ and a brush, then washed the trim with the car. It did appear much more evenly afterwards, but still didn't make it too much farther.

Old 07-10-2010, 03:02 PM
glc
I didn't say that UP is just "so-so" - it's an excellent product for soft trim. Black WOW is better for hard plastic. It all boils down to the best product for a particular purpose.

Old 07-10-2010, 04:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've always been happy with Armor All on all interior plastic and outside textured black trim. Lasts about a week or two and keeps everything looking new. I've used it on my truck since the day I got it. None of my exterior black trim pieces even have the slightest bit of fading. It's all about constantly keeping them protected.

On a side note, I tried that Back to Black stuff once and hated it. When it rained, it would drip down the side of the truck and look horrible. That's why I've stuck with Armor All. I've never had an issue and it does it's job.

Old 07-11-2010, 12:57 PM
glc
Back to Black is pure crap, the only thing I've found it any good for is removing dried wax from plastic. Armorall is a lot better but it can't hold a candle to something like UP or Black Wow.

Old 08-11-2010, 12:08 AM
Originally Posted by 2008_XL
I've always been happy with Armor All on all interior plastic and outside textured black trim. Lasts about a week or two and keeps everything looking new. I've used it on my truck since the day I got it. None of my exterior black trim pieces even have the slightest bit of fading. It's all about constantly keeping them protected.

On a side note, I tried that Back to Black stuff once and hated it. When it rained, it would drip down the side of the truck and look horrible. That's why I've stuck with Armor All. I've never had an issue and it does it's job.
I bought the Meguiars Gold Class Trim Detailer and it runs after a rain and leaves streaks like a woman's (or man's....I guess) mascara after a good crying. I am soo disappointed with it! I used to use ArmorAll Extreme Tire Dressing Gel for exterior trim (as well as the tire) but its really greasy, but doesnt run.

Originally Posted by glc
Back to Black is pure crap, the only thing I've found it any good for is removing dried wax from plastic. Armorall is a lot better but it can't hold a candle to something like UP or Black Wow.
I am going to consider Black Wow and Adam's SuperVRT. I think the SuperVRT is more up my alley since it can be used for tires also.

Old 08-17-2010, 12:59 PM
Originally Posted by djjr50
I bought the Meguiars Gold Class Trim Detailer and it runs after a rain and leaves streaks like a woman's (or man's....I guess) mascara after a good crying. I am soo disappointed with it! I used to use ArmorAll Extreme Tire Dressing Gel for exterior trim (as well as the tire) but its really greasy, but doesnt run.
If it runs, you are probably applying too much product. Granted, a water base product is going to run when it gets wet but applying too much is going to make it noticeable. a greasy gel like product is probably going to do better in the rain but that means its also going to glob up and probably look worse in the long run.

Quick Reply: The best in exterior and interior trim protection