Got some paint splatters....how do I get rid of them?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2000, 06:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Got some paint splatters....how do I get rid of them?

I've had some white tiny paint splatters that go down the side of my truck and the bed for about a year now. I really didn't care about them till I washed the truck last week and realized it looks bad against the black truck. I asked a few people and I was told everything from buff them out to some sort of remover. I was wondering if there is an easier way then buffing or using some sort of chemicels? I think the paint possibly came from when they were painting the lines in town....not sure though!

---------------

99 F-150 extended cab. Black over gold. Lund bug deflector and vent shade rain deflectors. 4.6l V8 w/K&N filter. Factory installed tonneau cover and nerf bars.

Old 05-08-2000, 10:19 AM
Cool

Try using detailer's clay first, it should remove most of the very tiny specks. If that doesn't work try a product called Goof-Off, but be VERY CAREFUL, it's stong stuff. Read the instructions and work quickly on small areas. Put some of the product on one of those sponges with the netting over it, wipe a small area and wash it off quick.
Black is a pain in the butt because it shows any mistakes you might make. If the paint's been dry for a while it'll take an awful lot of buffing to remove, so you may want to make that your last resort. If you don't feel confident doing it yourself ask the paint shop at the dealership how they do it or have a professional detailer do it for you.
BTW, you're going to get a flurry of answers so take them ALL with a grain of salt, good luck.

------------------
1999 Lariat Super Cab, S.B. 5.4L, 3.55 LS
and everything but the leaky slider window.
Bright red w/ gold 2-tone, Leather Captain's Chairs
Mods: Duraliner bedliner, Bugflector II, Hide-a-hooks.
& a leeetle chrome tip on the exhaust.

Old 05-08-2000, 05:06 PM
IndyFan- Thanks for the input. I actually went out and bought a clay bar today. I wanted to use it to at least get rid of some of the crap I'm sure is on my truck. I hope it helps out with the specks.

Thanks for the advise...I'll take everything with a grain of salt and a shot of Tequilla...hahaha!

Old 05-08-2000, 06:31 PM
Chief165, the clay bar is good stuff, BUT you gotta make sure you use it with a lubricating liquid. The place you bought the bar from should have some spray on stuff that works with it.

Read all the precautions that come with the bar. Don't drop it on the ground because if you do, it will pickup dirt and you'll have to throw it away.

Old 05-08-2000, 10:37 PM
Dennis
Thanks for the advice. I got the spray...came in a whole package, clay bar, spray and even some wax. Got to like that!

Old 05-10-2000, 06:37 PM
I hope this information proves useful.

About a month ago when I bought my truck, the first thing on my list was to install ventvisors. I had a friend with me the day I purchased them, who offered to help. Well, he installed one side, and I the other.

Being a damn Chevy guy that he is, he installed the drivers side ventvisor without tucking the lip under the mirror, and couldn't figure out why they didn't look right.

Anyhow after getting new 3M tape and a remount kit, I was off to reinstall the visor. The old one put up a fight when being removed, and half the tape was left behind. I ended up using *A LOT* of Goof Off and several rags to get the tape off of the rubber trim. Boy did it make a mess, big time!

I had little black ***** of adhesive all over my window and my paint!! I was at it for close to 2 hours to get everything off and as clean as new. My point being, the Goof Off works great, and appears to be safe for clear coat finishes, although it did take a little rubber off. A coat of wax and it looked as good as new!

------------------
2000 F-150 XLT, Styleside, White, Dark Graphite Int., 4x4, 4.6L, 3.55 L/S, Off-Road pkg (Skid Plates, Cab Steps, Heavy Duty Shock Absorbers, LT265/70R17SL), Class III Towing pkg with Heavy Duty Cooling pkg, 4 wheel disk ABS, Overhead Console, Factory In-Dash CD, Remote Keyless Entry, and Sliding Rear Window.

Added: K&N FIPK, Cabin Air Filtration, Ventvisors, Ford Bug Deflector

Old 05-10-2000, 07:03 PM
Chief, just thought of something. A little while after I got my truck, I noticed what looked like white paint splatter. Did the claybar treatment, but it didn't take off the "splatters." Turned out the white splatters were actually pits in the paint caused by rail dust and acid rain. The white came from the wax/polish that got caught in the pits. Ford repainted the truck under the 12/12 paint warranty on environmental damage.

Trending Topics

Old 05-11-2000, 12:37 AM
Goof-Off, naptha, aka paint thinner, lighter fluid, etc. all do an excellent job of removing some paints, tar, wax, gum, just about anything with a petroleum base.

Traffic marking paint is a different story, the clay might have been your best option. Hopefully it worked for you....

------------------
all4chem@aol.com
Y2K XLT Supercab Flareside, Oxford White, Medium Graphite, Captains Chairs, 6-Disc, 5.4L, 3.55LS, Tow Pkg, Block Heater, Sliding Glass, Keyless Entry, 5-Spoke Al Wheels, P235/70R-16 OWL Tires, Clear Corner Lenses, Blue Headlights, Al Striker Plates for the rear door.
Ordered: 01-17-00
Built: 02-23-00
Delivered: 03-13-00

Quick Reply: Got some paint splatters....how do I get rid of them?