Another very cool IDEA.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2000, 02:12 PM
franks&beans
Cool Another very cool IDEA.

Hello all,
have been reading the thread on the leaf blower. I have been doing this for years to dry off my 84 Honda Shadow motorcycle. I have since moved from home and haven't bought a leaf blower yet, sounds like a good investment for our truck. Oh Honey.......

I really like reading about drying off the dog though, very funny. :-)
I now own a 1998 F-150 and EVERYTIME it gets washed, water runs down the side of the bed from the bed rails. I was tired of "returning" to that area to wipe another streak of water. About 3 months ago, (as an experiement) I carefully masked off the passenger side of the bed rail (right near the edge, running from the cab to the tailgate. Then ran another piece of masking tape just UNDER the bed rail to the paint. There is a gap of about 3/16th. This is where the water collects. I applied a solid bead of clear silicone gel along the entire bed rail between the two pieces of masking tape. Then I wet my finger (prevents silicone from sticking) and ran it along the gap to smooth it out. Remove the tape and let dry for 24 hours. You do not even see the silicone because it is up under the railing, it dries clear, and is very flexible. Well my experienemt worked! I no longer have water dripping down the side of the truck. I now have to do the other side. This is not a difficult job to do. It's real easy, just take your time masking it off. If you get any silicone on the paint, wait until it dries, it will peel right off. But you will probably do the same thing I did, and try to wipe it off, it just smears and looks like h*ll, then you rub it some more, It'a a lost cause, wait until it dries. This little idea has saved me lots of time when drying the truck off. Try it, you won't be dissappointed. For anyone coming to the Edelbrock tour and the Knotts Berry Farm, you can see it first hand.

F&B's

------------------
98 F-150 XLT, SC, SWB, 2WD, Pac. Grn., 4.2L auto, 4.10 gears w/ LS, Tow Pkg., BFG AT's 265/75/16, K&N air filter, Dynomax muffler, Superchip, Edelbrock shocks, Hellwig sway bar, 3" body lift, signal mirrors, ...tons of cosmetic products

Old 03-31-2000, 02:49 PM
J-C
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was thinking of doing that, too. However, I was concerned that water might get up under the bed-rail from the stake holes or something. If it did, it would be trapped by the silicon sealer and may hasten rust through.
If you could seal the bed rail so water could not get under it, then there would be no worrys.
F&B, keep that truck looking GOOD!!!
Today is my last work-day!!! Only 150 minutes until retirement!!!

Old 03-31-2000, 07:57 PM
What a great idea, I can't believe I didn't think of that. I'm always the silicone it vs. putting screws in it at work. I'll have to size this project up, THANKS!!

J-C- congrats on your retirement!! My father is retiring next month and he is really looking forward to it...

Old 04-03-2000, 03:47 AM
franks&beans
Cool

J-C,

HAPPY RETIREMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now go off in the sunset w/ your great wife, and enjoy your truck, have fun camping and touring the USA. BTW that RV camping site we mentioned to you was in CloverDale, IL. Very clean and quiet place, plus *free* fishing!! ;-)

I have the Black Max soft Tonneau, so no water can collect under the bed rail end caps, it's dry as a bone.

All4chem,
The moment I saw the water streaking down the side of the bed, I thought "another silicon project", Gotta love that stuff! Just make sure you seal the rail near the cab where it turns 90 degrees. The gap tapers off and you need to do some good masking to prevent it from contacting the paint, not that it matters, but exposed dried silicon will collect dust and dirt and it will show.
Lots of folks won't get this petty w/ their trucks, but I love little personalized projects like this. I am just glad someone elso thinks they are worthwhile. Thanks

F&B's

------------------
98 F-150 XLT, SC, SWB, 2WD, Pac. Grn., 4.2L auto, 4.10 gears w/ LS, Tow Pkg., BFG AT's 265/75/16, K&N air filter, Dynomax muffler, Superchip, Edelbrock shocks, Hellwig sway bar, 3" body lift, signal mirrors, ...tons of cosmetic products

[This message has been edited by franks&beans (edited 04-03-2000).]

Old 04-03-2000, 10:12 AM
Thanks for the tip F&B. I was sizing up this project last night a little and I'm thinking of removing the rails to see what kind of structure is under there.

I'm also thinking of taking up the pads from the flareside to check this area out as well, water drips from here also.

I've seen clear silicone turn hazy when exposed to the sun after time, this may have to be a project that needs to be redone every couple of years. Which is no big deal considering the time saved drying. I may just get a lawn/leaf blower even though I live in an apartment. lol

Old 04-03-2000, 03:29 PM
franks&beans
Cool

all4chem,

The silicon under the rails is really not exposed to the sun, it can't be seen unless you look up-under the rail.

F&B's

------------------

Old 04-03-2000, 03:45 PM
Talking

and just think. If you could rig the leaf blower up right, you could use it as a S/C, heck it does the same thing, blows.
hee hee

------------------
2000 White F-150 Sport 4.2L 5-speed,3.55 gears
MODS: K&N, Flowmaster 50 series.
superstang97@yahoo.com

Ford vs Chevy
www.fordvschevy.com
Moderator: Road Kill, Mustang vs F-bodies. We also have a Ford VS GM/Chevy Truck forum

Trending Topics

Old 04-04-2000, 12:02 AM
Actually looked into the leaf-blower as SC issue -- but, unfortunately, they're only around 300-500 CFM!

Old 04-30-2000, 02:55 AM
Cool

I use a vacuum cleaner to suck the water from the mirrors and associated hing, the door moldings where water runs off especially after you dry the truck, the door latch and window areas (side rear).

Any where where water collects then runs and drys leaving a alkalie trail.

This simple process is done after I vacuum the inside of the truck which is the second to the last step.

Regards,

------------------
Rick Medina
Las Vegas, Nevada

Quick Reply: Another very cool IDEA.