Need a lil help

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 02:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Need a lil help

Okay Its starting to get pretty nice out and I need to wash all my MF's and my 1 waffle weave towel.

I've done the search results and I've got all the little details about washing separate, cold/warm, liquid detergent. hang dry, no softeners.

My question is, I don't have a large question of towels.. at least yet.. But I have a small number of MF's and only 1 waffle weave towel. The search results said most people separate each kind before and wash them separately.

My Girl would kill me if I did a wash with only one Waffle weave towel in it. Am I really going to hurt things by washing them all together? A few of my smaller MF's are a little dirty, but I plan on putting them in dawn and soaking for a while then washing them all after. Is my main concern the weave picking up dirt right.. or would it have some adverse effects on the two types of towels?

EDIT: And what type of "DAWN" are you guys using... I have "Ultra Concentrated DAWN" is that okay?

Thanks!

Last edited by Shanks12; 03-24-2010 at 02:21 PM.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd like to hear some feedback on this also, I'll do a little looking around and see if i can come up with anything.

Old 03-24-2010, 05:35 PM
I use only one product to wash my MF drying towels and polishing cloths. It is Griot's Micro Fiber & Foam Pad Cleaner. You add 2-4 ounces to your washer machine. NEVER use any kind of detergent or fabric softener to wash your MF towels and DO NOT use any dryer sheets when drying the MF.

I have MF towels that have been used drying over 100 cars and trucks that still absorb water like they did when they were new. If you want to see what washing with detergent and softeners do to a towel just get a house towel and pour some water on it and the water will just sit there then absorb into the towel. I do the same test with my MF towel and the water absorbs as fast as I pour the water on it.

Your question about Dawn, I hope your asking about washing a vehicle with Dawn and not your towels. You only use Dawn to wash a car when you want to get any wax that may be on the car off so you can apply a new coat of wax.

Old 03-24-2010, 05:42 PM
http://detailersdomain.wordpress.com...crofiber-care/

Shed's a little light on the subject, not so much on separating things before washing them.

Old 03-24-2010, 10:27 PM
Originally Posted by ruff rider
I use only one product to wash my MF drying towels and polishing cloths. It is Griot's Micro Fiber & Foam Pad Cleaner. You add 2-4 ounces to your washer machine. NEVER use any kind of detergent or fabric softener to wash your MF towels and DO NOT use any dryer sheets when drying the MF.

Your question about Dawn, I hope your asking about washing a vehicle with Dawn and not your towels. You only use Dawn to wash a car when you want to get any wax that may be on the car off so you can apply a new coat of wax.

When I did a search a lot of people said that is what a lot of people said. Here are a few quotes.

Originally Posted by Old Dogg™
Washing machine, 2 cycle rinse.
Dawn dish detergent and a couple of ounces of vinegar in the first rinse. The dirtier they are the more Dawn I use but it doesn't take very much to get them clean.
Originally Posted by glc
The vinegar finishes with removing the soap residue.

I dry mine in the dryer set to medium low heat, permanent press cycle with cooldown, and do NOT use a dryer sheet. I will wash and dry them with other items, but NOT anything that can produce lint. If any of them have been used to apply product, I will presoak them in Dawn and rinse them and wring them out.
Originally Posted by glc
I throw the nasty ones in a bucket with hot water and Dawn and let them soak. Then I wring them out and toss them in the washer with regular laundry detergent.
Those are just a few... So your saying I shouldn't soak them with dawn?

Old 03-24-2010, 10:51 PM
To be honest with you I have never heard of soaking the MF towels in Dawn. You can always try it BUT NEVER EVER wash the MF in the washing machine with any detergent.

Old 03-24-2010, 11:23 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i've washed my mf in the washer with regular detergent a few times, sure its not the normal amount i'd use on clothes, just about 3 teaspoons worth for about 8 regular 8"x8" towels

Trending Topics

Old 03-24-2010, 11:49 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I do seperate my towels. My big drying towels, regular towels and glass towels all get washed seperately.

I don't know about soaking them in Dawn. Maybe it works, maybe not. Never tried it.

I use Tide powder. I've *heard* liquid detergents can get trapped in the MF. Again, couldn't tell you if it does or not. I use Tide powder anyways so it works for me.

Rinse cycle twice just to make sure all residue is removed.

Dry on low without a dryer sheet.

The big thing is not to use any product with fabric softener. It will get "trapped" in the MF.

Old 03-25-2010, 12:15 AM
Originally Posted by ian51279
I do seperate my towels. My big drying towels, regular towels and glass towels all get washed seperately.

I don't know about soaking them in Dawn. Maybe it works, maybe not. Never tried it.

I use Tide powder. I've *heard* liquid detergents can get trapped in the MF. Again, couldn't tell you if it does or not. I use Tide powder anyways so it works for me.

Rinse cycle twice just to make sure all residue is removed.

Dry on low without a dryer sheet.

The big thing is not to use any product with fabric softener. It will get "trapped" in the MF.
See as I was reading the threads I searched earlier and I think i read the opposite, saying powder was worse because not all it would dissolve

Old 03-25-2010, 02:51 AM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
I really don't think it's that critical - you aren't going to destroy a set of towels simply by washing them in the washing machine and throwing them in the dryer, treating them as delicates. They may not last as long, but towels aren't that expensive. Then again, I don't buy boutique microfiber, I buy bulk at Sam's.

Shanks, I'd just toss all of them in the washer by themselves and wash them with a small amount of standard laundry detergent, using a gentle cycle. Throw them in the dryer without softener on low heat, pull them before completely dry, and hang them up to finish drying. If any of them still look dirty or don't feel right, replace them and use the old ones for grungy stuff like the wheelwells or under the hood.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:25 AM
I do detailing professionally and I do buy "boutique microfiber". I charge a lot of money for a detail and work on very expensive cars so I do know from trial and error what works and what doesn't work as far as taking care of MF drying towels.

One thing. If your MF drying towel is getting really dirty, then your doing a **** poor job of washing your vehicle. A MF drying towel should never be used (unless you have money to throw away) to dry door seals, trunk area, wheels, engine compartment. I use the cheap MF towels from Costco, Sams Club to do those areas. Once they are dirty they get thrown away.

Old 03-25-2010, 01:35 PM
You can wash microfibers in the washing machine with normal detergent without a problem. It is best to separate your glass towels from your towels that you use to for wax and polish and also wash your drying towels in a different batch. Every once in a while you can add some vinegar to help with product buildup in the towels. You never want to use fabric softner and feel free to dry the towels in the dryer.

There is a lot bad information out there about drying the towels properly, a lot of people say you have to let them air dry or use no heat, this isn't true, you can actually use the high heat setting and this won't hurt them. When the towels are being made they go through a lot higher temperatures.

I own a detailing business and wash hundeds of microfibers a week and have never had problems with my methods. I have also talked to microfiber manufacturers about all of this as well and this is what they recommend.

Quick Reply: Need a lil help