Polishing windshield with a DA machine ???

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 10:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Polishing windshield with a DA machine ???

Anybody ever do this ? I can't imagine it wouldn't work. I know they sell glass polish, but I'm not sure if they mention the use of a DA machine with it.

Oh, and if so, what grade of foam pad would one use ?

I'm thinking that even if this removed only "some" of the finer pitting, that would be a good thing, and at the very least, it should remove ALL of the road film, hard water residue, etc.

Anybody ?

Fish

Old 07-16-2009, 01:49 AM
They have kits, I think, that use an attachment for a drill. I've wondered how well they work, since I do have a bunch of scratches on my side windows.

I think someone on here used 83 or something like that with a bit of success, but I can't remember.

Old 07-16-2009, 04:26 AM
esf
Glass is extremely hard. It's not recommened to use a DA because it will bog down under enough pressure. A rotary would be the way to go. I've tried LCs glass polish and their special glass pads with ZERO success. For just water spots Meg's 04 worked fantastic with my rotary. Didn't try it with my DA though. Someone here had good results with the DA. I'm actually looking to try the heavy duty diamondite kit.

Old 07-17-2009, 09:53 AM
I've had good results taking out and/or covering up marring on side glass and water spots with a D/A. Will make life much easier by taping off before hand. It'll make a big mess of the plastics around the window.

For the life of me I can't remember what I used one this one. I saw it a couple days ago which is about 2 years after working on it and there was little marring that had resurfaced.

Before

After

On another one I used M105. 105 dried like a rock and had to use a QD to remove the residue. Can't find those pics right now. I'll put them up later once I can track them down. The 105 worked better.

Old 07-17-2009, 01:01 PM
IMHO, nothing is going to get pitting out of a window. Slight scratches and micro scratches, perhaps. But pitting is just WAY to deep and glass is so much harder then paint. if it takes several passes to remove a few 1000th of a mill of clear coat, can you imagine what it would take to remove 1-2 mills of glass?

Old 07-20-2009, 10:22 AM
I had good results with a D.A. , orange LC pad and Megs 04. I also got the LC`s pad and polish and it did nothing. ESF is correct, us a rotory if you can, I didnt have one so I used the DA.

Old 07-20-2009, 04:02 PM
esf
Originally Posted by 05supercrew
I had good results with a D.A. , orange LC pad and Megs 04. I also got the LC`s pad and polish and it did nothing. ESF is correct, us a rotory if you can, I didnt have one so I used the DA.
Good to know I'm not the only one.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:23 PM
Thanks guys.

Hey tcope
if it takes several passes to remove a few 1000th of a mill of clear coat, can you imagine what it would take to remove 1-2 mills of glass?
Yea... no kidding, huh ?

Peace,
Fish

Quick Reply: Polishing windshield with a DA machine ???