Beginner kit

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 08:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beginner kit

What/Is there a good beginner kit for wash/detailing my truck? Paint isn't so shiny anymore, and I want to fix that. I've only waxed a vehicle once though, so I'm not pro. Also, my wheels are looking pretty bad.

What I am looking for is:
Wash soap
Clay bar
Wax
mits/towels
Wheel cleaner
maybe a scratch remover if I can figure out how to use the stuff.

Anyone know of a kit that fits the bill? Not looking to break the bank either, not a show truck here. Just want a nice shiny/clean truck.
Thanks.

Old 04-26-2009, 09:07 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
I know other will chime in but this is coming from someone who is **** about taking care of my truck, yet does not break the bank or have a million things. I love doing this but I do not use all that crazy stuff, it is just not my thing to have all that stuff, however some of the guys I see have amazing looking rides when they use all of it!

The things I use are Meguiars Shampoo and conditioner car wash $8.79 works fanstasic. I use for wax Turtle Wax Ice Paste wax $14-$15 and their liquid claybar is $17.99 which again, I find both work very well and I constantly get compliments over how nice my truck looks. Then for the wheel cleaner, I have used Black Magic's and Armour All's and both seem to work well, but I like to wash them with the soap too. For mitts, I just use a nice microfiber one and same with the towels for detailing. I am not trying to sound like an expert by any means, far from it, but I would suggest items like that from my own experience. To me, keeping your vehicle nice and clean is not only for looks, but it is also a protection barrier from UV rays and road debris that you come across on the road. That to me is a nice set-up along with tire blackner: Armour All extreme Gel is my favorite I look forward to hearing other responses because learning is key and I would love to try out other products... Hopes that helps any

John

Last edited by TruckGuy24; 04-26-2009 at 09:09 PM.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:08 PM
esf
A budget would be helpful. You can probably piece some things together over-the-counter. It's going to be hard to find a kit that includes all of that. Obsessive Detail has a Power Pack. It has some of what you're looking for. No wheel cleaner and no traditional wash or mitt. My favorite wash soap right now is probably Optimum Car Wash. It smells fantastic and suds like crazy (which by the way never go away as I've had suds piled up around my driveway and down the alley and into the road for HOURS after a wash.) Clay bars I'm not really picky about. Some guys are. I tend to lean more towards the Meg's Mild clay mainly because I like the container. Don't forget the clay lube! Wax, well, since you're not trying to break the bank I'm probably not the right person to talk to since lately all of my waxes have been $50 each with my current favorite being Wet Obsession. I'm more of a paste guy so on the cheap and most of the time you can get it local at major parts stores, Meg's #26 or Nxt2.0 though I should say I don't use either. Something that lasts and looks good that I find myself using more and more all the time is Optimum Opti-Seal which is a spray sealant. A little bit goes a long way so while I small bottle looks expensive, it's really not. People have gotten 40 or more apps out of one bottle. For mitts I use the LC Blue Groute Sponge mostly right now but will fall back on the SM Arnold Lambswool Mitt. Both I've found to be excellent. As for towels, I have a big order planned for the Obsessive Detail Superfly Towels if that makes a difference but the **** Rag and Ultra Premium are on sale and are both good towels. For wheel cleaner, I generally use just wash soap on my raw aluminum wheels so I'm not really much help there. Since it sounds like you're doing all of this by hand, if you want a scratch remover look into Meg's Ultimate Compound, ScratchX2.0 and Swirl Remover (I listed those from most to least aggressive.)

Old 04-26-2009, 09:32 PM
ESF, your info looks good, but I don't understand most of it.

Price range. Not sure, but trying to stay under 100 for everything.
Wash: 10-15
Wax: 20-25
Clay bar: 20
Wheel cleaner:10-15
Mits/towels: no idea
Scratch stuff: 10

Does that seem right or no?

Old 04-26-2009, 10:22 PM
esf
Well the prices can all vary a lot. I thought I was pretty clear above but maybe it just makes sense to me because I'm the one saying it. Haha. Basically I was just running down a list of some of what I use while trying to leave out some of the expensive stuff. If there are any parts you want me to break down I will but if I try to rewrite the post it will come out pretty much the same. Haha.

I'll try to sum up what I was saying. By the way, all of the products I listed can be bought at Obsessive Detail or ADS.

Car Wash - Optimum Car Wash
Wax - Optimum Opti-Seal
Clay Bar - Meg's Mild
Wheel Cleaner - I use my wash solution (Certain chemicals can affect different types of wheels differently. Some negatively.)
Mitts - Lake Country Blue Groute Sponge or SM Arnold Lambswool Mitt
Towels - Obsessive Detail Superfly Towels (Ultra Premium is a smaller version and on sale right now) or **** Rag for a smaller plusher towel - also on sale now from Obsessive Detail.
Scratch Remover (polish) - Depends on severity of the scratches/swirls. Meg's Ultimate Compound, Meg's ScratchX2.0 and Meg's SwirlX are all good by hand and can be purchased over the counter or from ADS.

If you only want to order from one place then check out those two websites to see what they have and substitute products or just use completely different products. This is just a list of some of what I use regularly. There's not really a definitive right or wrong way. More than one way to skin a cat. A lot of it is all opinion.

Old 04-26-2009, 11:40 PM
Well what ESF suggested sounds good, it seems like you may be looking to get some items over the counter rather than internet. I'd suggest going to Pep Boys if you have them around and use this coupon for 10 bucks off any 30 dollar purchase:
http://localstores.pepboys.com/tirepromo1coupon.html

As for in store items I would suggest:

Meguiars Gold Class Soap
Meguiars NXT 2.0 Wax
If you have a big lots nearby, you can normally find a wheel cleaner for around 3.50 (normally Megs All Wheel Cleaner)
Clay- Meguiars Clay Kit
Mitts- a lambs wool mitt if you can find it
Towels- some decent microfibers
Scratch remover- ultimate compound, swirl x, scratch x 2.0

For a little over $100 I would suggest getting this package:
http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.c..._2048_34227357
and also picking up a 12 pack of microfibers:
http://www.autodetailingsolutions.net/ads-tw-12.html

That package plus microfibers should start you off pretty well with the exception of products to remove defects. If you want to get Ultimate compound, scratch x 2.0 and swirl x plus the package and microfibers will run you about $167.36

Old 04-27-2009, 12:37 AM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
Let's back up a bit - have you read the detailing sticky?

Old 04-27-2009, 12:41 AM
Originally Posted by glc
Let's back up a bit - have you read the detailing sticky?
*slaps head* I can't believe no one mentioned that yet.

Old 04-27-2009, 05:58 AM

Has anyone of you ever tried the Ice products before? I don't see many people that have on here :/

Old 04-27-2009, 06:43 AM
I read the stickie. More of a "how to", not a "what products should I get". I plan on using the stickie once I get my stuff, just want to get the stuff best suited for me.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:47 AM
Originally Posted by TruckGuy24
Has anyone of you ever tried the Ice products before? I don't see many people that have on here :/
There is a reason why people here don't use that stuff.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:48 AM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
If you are doing everything by hand, the Meguiars over the counter stuff is as good as any and you can buy it in local stores. If you decide to get a DA polisher, then you should start looking at professional products.

Old 04-27-2009, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by RollingRock
There is a reason why people here don't use that stuff.
How come? I have never heard any bad things. Could someone explain why? (not trying to sound like a jerk at all)

Old 04-27-2009, 02:55 PM

I read a post where it got a bit verbal about the Ice, and I am always ready to try new things. My only thing is I have used this and have not had an issue, my truck looks great in direct sunlight. I would prefer to get an in-store product for my next wax, seeing that mine is getting low. What would be a good choice? Feel free to come up with a list of quality detailing products for the paint and I can try some of them... I love to learn

Old 04-27-2009, 03:21 PM
Originally Posted by TruckGuy24
I read a post where it got a bit verbal about the Ice, and I am always ready to try new things. My only thing is I have used this and have not had an issue, my truck looks great in direct sunlight. I would prefer to get an in-store product for my next wax, seeing that mine is getting low. What would be a good choice? Feel free to come up with a list of quality detailing products for the paint and I can try some of them... I love to learn
There are so many better choices than what you are using. But then again, its your money and if you like the looks, great. Many here prefer to get their paint corrected not concealed.

If you want serious help, do two things. 1. Read the Sticky. 2. Post close up shots of your paint under shop lights or direct sunlight.

Quick Reply: Beginner kit