New owner Need care tips.

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 09:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When you start to clay you'll see that you need a lot of lube. One hand to clay, the other to spray the lube. You won't put the lube down on the floor as you'll see. You just might use the whole bottle of detailer/lube. You might even use both bars of clay (they're small). You could cut each bar in half and do one half of the truck. So four pieces for the whole truck. You'll want to knead the clay as you move on to different panels-you want to keep kneading so a "cleaner" part of the clay is exposed to the paint. Read the instructions. Don't worry about it. Just enough pressure on the clay so that you don't lose control of it. If you drop the clay on the ground it's instant garbage. You'll get the hang of it quickly. To do the whole truck will be time consuming. Be patient.

Here is the ONR (Optimum No Rinse)

http://www.optimumcarcare.com/onrwns.htm?li=2

Last edited by Carlsson3; 04-21-2009 at 09:11 AM.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:45 AM
Technical Article Contributor

ok, so some quick detailer, or some clean tap water in a spray bottle to keep the truck wet while I run the clay bar over it?
I think that Kit comes with some, and it clean all the nasty stuff off my clear along with wax so its like a fresh start.

Thanks for all the help.

Old 04-21-2009, 12:35 PM
Originally Posted by glc
Soap is not a good idea - it's rough on the clay.
Sometimes you might not have a choice. But no it wouldn't be my first option.

OP.. Pick up a megs clay kit from auto/advance/walmart etc. It'll come with two bars, a mf, and a bottle of QD

Old 04-21-2009, 03:26 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
You shouldn't have a problem doing the whole truck with a single clay bar - and don't use water, use the QD. The single bottle *should* be enough to do the whole truck.

The Megs white clay bars are pretty small - breaking it in half gives you pieces that are a bit too small for my liking. Just knead them after each section.

When you use the NXT, put it on REAL THIN with the foam pad it comes with and polish it in well - it does its cleaning and polishing work on application, not removal. Do the whole truck, then go back and remove it in the same order.

Old 04-28-2009, 08:07 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Thanks everyone,
I got the truck clean, ended up spending $108.xx on items, but now you can see your self in every part of the truck minus the tires, Ill try to post pics of it after I got done later, I am at work now.

but thanks again, lots of great info here.

Quick Reply: New owner Need care tips.