What do I all need?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 11:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What do I all need?

Ok, last week i ordered a G110 along w/ 6 of the new 2.0 pads (2 of each type). I just want to make sure i have this right and what i all need to order yet.

1. Wash, i usually use dawn to strip the old wax and stuff off when im first detailing something, then use a nice soap when they they dont need to be completly redone, and dry

2. A cutting compound with the g110? M105?(will this take out swirls and light scratches?)
3. A polish with the g110? M205?
4. Then a sealant/wax? M21 or M26?

if those sound right i need to order those 3 things yet, and some hyper dressing for tires and stuff. Im gonna start detailing some peoples cars for some extra cash while im at school, ill get more stuff as time goes on but i just need stuff to start with for the basics. And i have a car to practice on as well, ive detailed cars just never w/ a DA before.

Thanks in advanced
-Matt

Last edited by 31 YNOT; 01-01-2009 at 11:30 PM.
Old 01-02-2009, 01:12 AM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
I'd use regular car wash soap and clay it after the wash.

Old 01-02-2009, 01:46 AM
FYI I don't know when you would ever use the cutting pads so you may want to exchange them.

Old 01-02-2009, 02:21 AM
Go ahead and get NXT 2.0 instead of the M21. NXT will become your best friend when detailing others cars, it offers great protection and looks good as well. #26 is a great LSP to put on 12 hours aftr NXT, it really helps dark paint pop. Alone however, #26 offers little protection.

I'm in your same position, and i am fixing to order a DA. I'd check out my thread, i've asked alllot of questions and received great responses that i think you would also benefit from.
Also, you say you detail cars on the side a little, i'd check out megs D151 it's their paint reconditioning cream. It seems to be a great one step product for customers who don't want a complete defect removal just a simple wash/wax. However 151 has similar cutting capabilities as 205, so it will remove some defects. And you could always top NXT or #26 over top of PRC for that added protection and gloss.

-B

Old 01-02-2009, 03:20 AM
Originally Posted by Iam4st8
Go ahead and get NXT 2.0 instead of the M21. NXT will become your best friend when detailing others cars, it offers great protection and looks good as well. #26 is a great LSP to put on 12 hours aftr NXT, it really helps dark paint pop. Alone however, #26 offers little protection.

-B
BTW M21 and NXT are the same exact product, the only difference is that m21 has chemicals in it so it is able to be applied by a rotary. Even though it is not recommended to apply wax by a rotary, Meguiars created the formula just because body shops don't care and are going to be using the rotary no matter what.

But if you are ordering from ADS go ahead and get NXT because you save 2 bucks, get 2 free microfibers, and get an extra 2 ounces. One advantage 21 has over NXT is you can buy it in bulk (64 ounces)(that way body shops can buy a lot)

Old 01-02-2009, 08:08 AM
Originally Posted by andrewc_11890
FYI I don't know when you would ever use the cutting pads so you may want to exchange them.
The stiffer cutting pad is recommended for using the MF bonnets. That's what I'l use mine for.

Rick
Sunny Florida

Old 01-02-2009, 10:31 AM
Originally Posted by andrewc_11890
BTW M21 and NXT are the same exact product, the only difference is that m21 has chemicals in it so it is able to be applied by a rotary. Even though it is not recommended to apply wax by a rotary, Meguiars created the formula just because body shops don't care and are going to be using the rotary no matter what.

But if you are ordering from ADS go ahead and get NXT because you save 2 bucks, get 2 free microfibers, and get an extra 2 ounces. One advantage 21 has over NXT is you can buy it in bulk (64 ounces)(that way body shops can buy a lot)

Yah i was hoping not to have to apply wax by hand, i have plenty of nice waxes, but i did get great results on my trans am when i used the original NXT.

Originally Posted by shootnstarz
The stiffer cutting pad is recommended for using the MF bonnets. That's what I'l use mine for.

Rick
Sunny Florida
what exactly are the MF bonnets used for?

Old 01-02-2009, 03:19 PM
Originally Posted by 31 YNOT
Yah i was hoping not to have to apply wax by hand, i have plenty of nice waxes, but i did get great results on my trans am when i used the original NXT.

what exactly are the MF bonnets used for?
People put them over a pad and then use the DA to remove wax. I have never liked doing this because of the chance of micromarring. I always just use a clean microfiber towel

Old 01-02-2009, 03:58 PM
ok guys this is what i have in my cart right now tell me if this should get the job done?

Meguiars smooth clay kit, and another thing of blue clay
M 105 New verson (12oz because they are sold outa the 32)
Nxt 2.0 wax (liquid)
Meguiars Syn DA kit ( M205, M21, and M135)
1 gal of hyper dressing and 2 spray bottles for different ratios

would it be ok to wax then go over top the NXT wax w/ the M21 as a LSP? Or should i just x the Syn kit and just get the 105 then 205 then the 2.0 NXT followed up by opti polly seal i was reading up on. Only problem is they ASP is out of the 135 spray detailer but i guess that isnt really needed i can pobably use a different spray detailer, i guess if im already putting an order into obsessive detail as well i could just get there optimum spray on wax to use to top everything off and between washes

sorry for all the questions just dont want to spend more $$$ than i have to do a good job.

Last edited by 31 YNOT; 01-02-2009 at 04:01 PM.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:09 PM
Looks like a good list. Make sure you have enough microfibers.

Enjoy

Last edited by bangingd; 01-02-2009 at 05:14 PM.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:13 PM
esf
Originally Posted by 31 YNOT
ok guys this is what i have in my cart right now tell me if this should get the job done?

Meguiars smooth clay kit, and another thing of blue clay
M 105 New verson (12oz because they are sold outa the 32)
Nxt 2.0 wax (liquid)
Meguiars Syn DA kit ( M205, M21, and M135)
1 gal of hyper dressing and 2 spray bottles for different ratios

would it be ok to wax then go over top the NXT wax w/ the M21 as a LSP? Or should i just x the Syn kit and just get the 105 then 205 then the 2.0 NXT followed up by opti polly seal i was reading up on. Only problem is they ASP is out of the 135 spray detailer but i guess that isnt really needed i can pobably use a different spray detailer, i guess if im already putting an order into obsessive detail as well i could just get there optimum spray on wax to use to top everything off and between washes

sorry for all the questions just dont want to spend more $$$ than i have to do a good job.
Andrew posted earlier stating M21 and Nxt are the same product designed for different application methods (machine vs hand.) So topping Nxt with M21 is like topping Nxt with Nxt. The two detail sprays I usually go to are M34 and Optimum Instant Detailer and Gloss Enhancer. M34 you can obviously get at ADS and since you're ordering from Obsessive Detail you can pick up IDGE there. I personally use IDGE more often. Otimum Spray Wax is awesome. For the record, NXT can be used as an LSP. It's not necessary to top it with anything if you don't want. The only reason people top NXT or any other synthetic wax is for the look that a carnuba wax offers. Poli Seal is an all in one, which means it has light polish capabilities as well as leaving behind protection like a typical wax. Poli Seal will remove some or all of the Nxt if you use it on top of Nxt. PoliSeal is a great product however and it good to use when you have very light swirls and not a lot of time to do multiple correction steps and wax. I'd still recommend picking some up.

And don't apologize for asking questions. This would be a boring place if no one had any questions.

Old 01-02-2009, 05:42 PM
ok, thanks guys i think i have it figured out, my friends usually give me a hard time when i walk into an auto parts store and wind up buy $50 worth of cleaning stuff that i didnt need but this doesnt even compare hahahaha, hopefully i can get enough cars in just to pay for all the stuff ive bought. I went with the M21 instead of the nxt 2.0 just for speed reasons. and kept the detail kit added the M34 to it. So i just kept everything on one order from ADS