Have some crap on my windows

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 01:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have some crap on my windows

I think this is old Rain-X, but I may be wrong. I've tried some vigorous scrubbing with windex to no avail. Is there anything else I can try that you guys have had experience with? Preferably something cheap.

If nothing else would clay bar get rid of this stuff? I have some leftover from my last detail.

Old 12-07-2008, 01:07 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Simple water spotting...

Do you have aftermarket tint? If so, DO NOT use this method....

If not, try this:

1. Buy a bottle of Kaboom or BAM from your local Big Mart store.
2. Using a terry cloth towel, spray the chemical ON THE TOWEL.
3. Wipe to remove the scale/spotting.
4. Finish with a MF towel and your favorite glass cleaner (windex is awful -- get some Stoners Invisible Glass while you're at your Big Mart store).

Note: This method should *NEVER* be used on paint. Also, do not spray the chemical near your vehicle on a windy day... this stuff is a pretty serious chemical and will spot, etch, and cause big problems on paint, trim and other porus surfaces.

Old 12-07-2008, 01:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not sure what you can do to take it off, but I tried to get the same thing off of a friend of mine's car and I tried using a clay bar and it didn't make any difference. You could try clay, but I think this may need something that is aggressive like RP said.

Old 12-07-2008, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Rockpick
Simple water spotting...

If not, try this:

4. Finish with a MF towel and your favorite glass cleaner (windex is awful -- get some Stoners Invisible Glass while you're at your Big Mart store).

Note: This method should *NEVER* be used on paint. Also, do not spray the chemical near your vehicle on a windy day... this stuff is a pretty serious chemical and will spot, etch, and cause big problems on paint, trim and other porus surfaces.

Where's the facepalm smiley? I didn't even think of water spotting...

I have aftermarket tint on my front windows to match the rear ones, so I guess I could do the rears? Thanks for the heads up on windex. It was what I had available, but I'll stay away from it. Any thoughts on what I could use on the tinted windows, since Andrew has tried clay bar with no results?

Old 12-07-2008, 07:07 PM
I will echo Rockpick in saying get rid of the windex, its junk. The best ive seen OTC is Stoners Invisible Glass.

Something to try that has proven useful is to spray the window down heavily with stoners, then take either 000 or 0000 steel wool and rub it out. I have used this method numerous times and it has always done the trick. In case you are wondering, I have not seen a case where using this method has scratched or harmed the glass in any way. Just be careful not to rub the steel wool against the paint.

Old 12-07-2008, 07:15 PM
Originally Posted by Rockpick
Simple water spotting...

If not, try this:

This shouldn't hurt aftermarket tint... Due to the fact that the tint is laid on the inside of the window, and the water spotting is outside...

Right? haha

Old 12-07-2008, 07:28 PM
Nobody mentioned to be sure your windows are cool and not in direct sunlight. When cleaners/water evaporate too fast, it leaves spots. Also, no one mentioned it might be ACID RAIN, looks like water spots but those come off with a simple cleaning when the glass is cool. If they don't come off like that, try using VINEGAR in case it is acid rain.

Old 12-07-2008, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by 1st4x4
Nobody mentioned to be sure your windows are cool and not in direct sunlight. When cleaners/water evaporate too fast, it leaves spots. Also, no one mentioned it might be ACID RAIN, looks like water spots but those come off with a simple cleaning when the glass is cool. If they don't come off like that, try using VINEGAR in case it is acid rain.
I've been trying to research a bit more and it seems a lot of people recommend vinegar. I will probably try this first as I think I have some laying around.

Originally Posted by Iam4st8
This shouldn't hurt aftermarket tint... Due to the fact that the tint is laid on the inside of the window, and the water spotting is outside...

Right? haha
I realized this too. If vinegar doesn't work I'll go Rockpick's recommended route.

Old 12-07-2008, 08:13 PM
Originally Posted by 1st4x4
Yep this is an old trick VINEGAR works wonders on glass cause of its acidity content and 0000 fine steel wool helps too then wax them

Old 12-07-2008, 08:57 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
Barkeepers Friend works on waterspots too.

Stoner's is tint safe, by the way. Windex is definitely NOT.

Old 12-07-2008, 08:57 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
i use some stovetop oven glass cleaner and some 0000steel wool. works great!

Old 12-08-2008, 04:36 PM

Well the vinegar did not work at all. Next up: steel wool. Trying it tomorrow.

Old 12-08-2008, 04:52 PM
Originally Posted by mblouir
Well the vinegar did not work at all. Next up: steel wool. Trying it tomorrow.
try using the steel wool with the vinegar! or a new razor blade at a 45* angle

Old 12-08-2008, 07:05 PM
if no luck with the 0000 steel wool, go with 00. In some cases Ive even had to step it up to 0. The 0 is the heaviest I would go.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:52 PM
I would say use some sort of chemical polish should take it right off

Quick Reply: Have some crap on my windows