Whats everyone do in the winter months?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 09:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whats everyone do in the winter months?

just curious to know what everybody on here does that lives in colder winter month states. im in NJ so its startin to get a little colder here not bad yet though. do you guys just take off or are you out there washin your truck in the cold? me honestly, get kinda lazy when its colder out, over the summer i was at it EVERY weekend, but now ive just been payin a few bucks and runnin it thru the touchless carwash down the street then come home and QD it and polish rims. so whats everyone else do?

Old 11-10-2008, 10:18 PM
if you have acess to a headed garage there is a product called optimum car car no rinse solution

here is a link to the product and it also has quick directions on how its used

http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/opnoriwansh.html

Old 11-10-2008, 11:15 PM
I have a garage but its not headed (lol, above post) or heated so I layer up and get to washing. I actually don't drive in the winter so if I was the truck two to three times in the winter I'm good and I'm in NYC. Hopefully if I need it washed this winter I can use my friend's garage.

Old 11-11-2008, 01:14 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
I run it over to the self serve and blast it off with the rinse. I'm bad.

Old 11-11-2008, 02:00 PM
I live in Chicago. If I were go go wash it today, the water would freeze on the truck. So in the winter I'm basically screwed, especially with all this salt.
It's sleeting right now at 37*.

Old 11-11-2008, 02:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I usually do the self serve wash a few times. Although I've been reading on the autopia about the optima no rinse stuff. I've thought about buying but am still hesitant. Anyone have some opinions on it?

Old 11-11-2008, 03:14 PM
Last month I took a day and clayed, polished, and waxed(by hand this time, the hologram is still there though from last time). Wanted to get a fresh coat of wax on before the sh*t hits the fan.

Typically through winter we will at least have one descent day on the weekend to where I can actually layer up and wash. No HD or anything like that but just a good hand job (my truck deserves that at least ). It may only get a good washing once, maybe twice a month. In between those washings I too will take to the self serve wash and spray down (extra spray underneath). I can't stand when my black truck looks white from all the salt.

Winter is such a pita!!!

Trending Topics

Old 11-11-2008, 04:16 PM
Originally Posted by 4wd150
just curious to know what everybody on here does that lives in colder winter month states. im in NJ so its startin to get a little colder here not bad yet though. do you guys just take off or are you out there washin your truck in the cold? me honestly, get kinda lazy when its colder out, over the summer i was at it EVERY weekend, but now ive just been payin a few bucks and runnin it thru the touchless carwash down the street then come home and QD it and polish rims. so whats everyone else do?
Say goodbye to the sideliners [stripers] and head south for some warm water fish.

Old 11-11-2008, 04:29 PM
In January I will normally clean the garage so that I can get the vehicels in and then take them to the local spray and wash to get them clean. Then I will put them in the garage and have it.

Old 11-11-2008, 05:28 PM
esf
ONR is a good product. I used it the last two times I washed my truck. I mix up about three gallons and go out and wipe it down. I just make sure theres plenty of solution on the mit so that I can glide over the paint. I try not to rub it if I can avoid it. I start at the top, do a panel at a time, dry said panel and continue on. Save the wheels and tires for last so I can use the same solution without contaminating it. Hit it with OCW or even IDGE at the very least. This winter I'll probably detail it at work in our heated shop.

Old 11-11-2008, 06:17 PM
I just pull it in the shop and use ONR.

Old 11-15-2008, 08:04 PM
I throw the winter wheels on and give it one good coat of Megs #16. After that its usually once a week to the touchless wash down the street untill spring comes around again. Then the 22's go back on and back to handwashing.

Old 11-15-2008, 08:09 PM
Suspended
I do a detail in late October/early November and than drink the pain away until we get a decent day. Last year I got lucky in January! I still haven't gotten the dent fixed and have since crunched the driver fender a little bit. https://www.f150online.com/forums/ca...lots-pics.html

Old 11-15-2008, 08:32 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I just pressure wash, and run through the touch less wash with a Rinse only.

Old 11-15-2008, 09:03 PM
yeah ive just been doing the touchless car wash lately since it got colder. got my powerball and drill ready for my wheels!

Quick Reply: Whats everyone do in the winter months?