New Chemical Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 10:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Chemical Recommendations

Well I think I'm ready to move up to some more professional chemicals this year. I had last summer to break in my PC7424 and now I want to try something new. I remember www.chemicalguys.com being recommended in the past so I've been checking that out. Not sure what chemicals would be best though. I'd like to do something like wash, clay bar, polish, wax. How would the following chemicals work in this process?

http://www.chemicalguys.com/Showroom..._p/gap_104.htm

http://www.chemicalguys.com/Auto_Det..._p/wac_110.htm

If not those, what would you recommend? And what speed settings would be best for use with these or any other recommended chemicals? Thanks!

Old 06-13-2008, 11:42 PM
Originally Posted by Dkory22
Well I think I'm ready to move up to some more professional chemicals this year. I had last summer to break in my PC7424 and now I want to try something new. I remember www.chemicalguys.com being recommended in the past so I've been checking that out. Not sure what chemicals would be best though. I'd like to do something like wash, clay bar, polish, wax. How would the following chemicals work in this process?

http://www.chemicalguys.com/Showroom..._p/gap_104.htm

http://www.chemicalguys.com/Auto_Det..._p/wac_110.htm

If not those, what would you recommend? And what speed settings would be best for use with these or any other recommended chemicals? Thanks!
Well there are lots of choices out there.

Poorboys
Megs
Menzerna
Tropi-care
Pinnacle
Wolf Gang
Klasse
ClearKote
P21S
Sonax
Optimum

Many, many more....pick one know it well. Prep work and prep steps are the key to a good finish.

Old 06-15-2008, 03:43 AM
Alright, after looking at those I might try some Poorboys instead. I want to see how the black hole glaze works on my black truck. Couple questions though. First, what is glaze? Would that be more like a polish that seals as well? Would it be sufficient to use that and follow it with a wax? The truck hasn't seen any paint cleaner/polish/wax since at least September (before the Michigan winter).

Secondly, does anyone use this?
http://www.autogeek.net/auqufofogun.html

Looks fun, might speed up my car washes some and do a better job. If you do use that, what kind of soap are you using?

Thanks!

Old 06-15-2008, 08:04 AM
esf
Glaze is not a polish, wax or sealant. It's applied between polish and sealant or polish and wax. A glaze is there specifically for looks. It offers no protection and no cleaning abilities. You're plan of attack should look something like:

Wash
Clay
Compound/Abrasive (only if needed, depends on condition of paint)
Polish
Glaze
Sealant
LSP (Wax)
Quick Detailer

Ofcourse glazes are optional and you can stop after a sealant or you can skip the sealant and just go directly to applying your LSP. Secondly, many people are using the foam gun and foam cannons (same idea as foam gun but for a pressure washer) and are loving them. You can pretty much use any soap you want. Something that suds alot and has a high lubricity is going to be good. Thumper really likes the DP Soap that Autogeek recommends but it's pretty expensive stuff. I know atleast one guy was using Chemical Guys Maxi Suds II. Meguiars Super Soap is another I believe. It's all in what you like. You have to play around until you find what works for you and then stick with it.

Old 06-15-2008, 12:08 PM
Originally Posted by esf
Glaze is not a polish, wax or sealant. It's applied between polish and sealant or polish and wax. A glaze is there specifically for looks. It offers no protection and no cleaning abilities.
That is incorrect. For the majority of sealants, a glaze CANNOT be applied prior. It will affect the sealants ability to bond to the paint. There are some exceptions where it does work. For example CG EZ Creme Glaze which has polymers in it. Also, a lot of glazes DO have cleaning abilities.

On a side note, if you polish correctly, glazing is not necessary.

Old 06-15-2008, 12:49 PM
I think the black hole glaze will work before a wax as well. Thats what the site says anyway. I also don't think I need anything too abrasive, a polish would probably be fine. Any experience with the Poorboys EX sealant? What results have you had with that?

Thanks for your help! I think I'll pick up one of those foam guns before I start this detail

Old 06-15-2008, 01:23 PM
Glazes are fine before waxes. Not so when it comes to sealants.

Old 06-15-2008, 10:13 PM
Woops, for the black hole glaze it actually says waxes and sealants, so I'm assuming it will work fine.

Old 06-15-2008, 10:18 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by 03gtmustang
Glazes are fine before waxes. Not so when it comes to sealants.
What do you mean? You're saying that you can't use a sealant after a glaze? Poorboy's actually recommended me doing Black Hole, EX Sealant, and than #16. I asked them if that'd be a good procedure and they said it'd work awesome which I think it does ... My guess is maybe a sealant like EX-P won't work since it's strictly a sealant. The EX Sealant has some carnuba in it ... I'm not too sure, just speculating.

Old 06-16-2008, 11:01 AM
I could be wrong, but I think a lot of guys are using EX-P after black hole and white diamond.... then moving on to their LSP.

RollingRock?

Old 06-16-2008, 11:11 AM
Originally Posted by leedriver
I could be wrong, but I think a lot of guys are using EX-P after black hole and white diamond.... then moving on to their LSP.

RollingRock?
Yup. I think it depends on the the types of Sealers you use and how compatible they with other lines. This is that area that really is helpful to know the products you are working with.

EX-P is a pure sealant, I have used it with several products. I have toped it over 80, Menzerna Micro Polish, Optimum Polish and over glazes such as ClearKote VHM and Black Hole, White Diamond. Its part of almost every detail I do.

I have only used EX 1-2 times and used to use #21. No matter what, I got streaks after using #21 so I stopped using it. Come to find out it was cure time causing the problem. I don't have time to wait so I stopped using the product.

That's my take...but will add that not all product lines play well together while others play very nicely with each other.

Quick Reply: New Chemical Recommendations