Rear-ended. What to look for???

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 07:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear-ended. What to look for???

Traffic in front of me stopped. I stopped. Guy behind me did not stop. He hit me in the right side of the rear bumper. Not a hard hit - he wasn't going very fast.

My bumper looks straight and true in all directions. The bumper is not pushed in. The bumper brackets look OK. I'm tempted to say my truck was not damaged.

What do I need to look for under the truck to make sure I don't have any damage???

Thanks.

Old 05-20-2008, 07:41 AM
Originally Posted by 007
Traffic in front of me stopped. I stopped. Guy behind me did not stop. He hit me in the right side of the rear bumper. Not a hard hit - he wasn't going very fast.

My bumper looks straight and true in all directions. The bumper is not pushed in. The bumper brackets look OK. I'm tempted to say my truck was not damaged.

What do I need to look for under the truck to make sure I don't have any damage???

Thanks.

Had the same thing happen to me once, only the driver behind me got pushed into me by a driver talking on her cell phone and she was going at a good rate, both cars were totalled and my truck didn't even look like it got hit. wife couldn't tell when I got home that day. Anyway, only REAL damage suffered by me was the right side of the duel exhaust got pushed in.
I know that doesn't answer your question, just thout I'd share.

Old 05-20-2008, 07:55 AM
The only way to tell if there is any damage to the frame is to measure the diagonals by picking four points on the chassis and making an X on your garage floor and measuring the legs of the X. Or take it to a body shop and pay them to check it on there frame wrack for you. If you werent hit that hard and you dont notice your truck doing wierd things like dog tracking or drive line vibrations I would say that you are good to go.

Old 05-20-2008, 10:40 AM
Sorry to hear that, I always leave my trailer hitch on my truck because I could not tell you how many people have hit that thing. They hit the hitch and not my truck, it leaves a nice indent on the front of their vehicle as a little reminder to pay attention.

Old 05-31-2008, 10:25 PM
Re: hit in rear, what to look for...

My F150, was also tapped in the back end (center/right rear), by a small chevy sedan as a set of lights turned red.
I stopped a bit quick on a rainy day at a large intersection.
The other lady thought I would run the light.
No, I stopped, so she locked up her breaks, and gave me a bump.
It didn't look like there was any damage to my truck at the time of the accident.
My insurance adjuster didn't see anything except some deep scratches to the plastic where the ball hitch would go on my rear bumper under the license plate.
The lady's insurance adjuster saw much more.
The rear Bumper was slightly tweeked/twisted, AND when I was hit my bumper flexed enough towards the truck to chip away a dime size spot of paint on the rear quarter where the bumper wraps around the rear fender below the tail lights.
It make a very well hidden ***** in sheet metal and removed thepaint.
So, I got a new bumper, body work done where the paint chip was, and a new '4x4' sticker which was above the tail lights on the fender.
The front end of the lady's little chevy, seemingly destroyed.
Her car was driveable, so then she decides to drive home, about 40 miles.
I never would have driven that car in its condition.

Anyway, that was what they found whenI was rearended.
So, look all around and under the truck, you never know.
Good luck, nhford

Old 06-01-2008, 12:15 PM
i wish my truck was just tapped. this junior just made a u turn on a side street and rammed into my friends car hitting another one of my friends car then hitting me and who were all stopped at a stop sign. "he was showing off" he said to the cops. he totaled 3 cars and mine was the only one to drive away. luck maybe but its been 2 months and still not fixed, stupid insurance companies. but back to you hahah, like everyone has said check the frame and see if your hitch brackets are bent if you have one, one of mine is and their insurance company was like oh no thats fine, and i had to fight with him bc he obviously didnt tow before.

my bumper =/

Old 06-01-2008, 01:41 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by 07redf150
i wish my truck was just tapped. this junior just made a u turn on a side street and rammed into my friends car hitting another one of my friends car then hitting me and who were all stopped at a stop sign. "he was showing off" he said to the cops. he totaled 3 cars and mine was the only one to drive away. luck maybe but its been 2 months and still not fixed, stupid insurance companies. but back to you hahah, like everyone has said check the frame and see if your hitch brackets are bent if you have one, one of mine is and their insurance company was like oh no thats fine, and i had to fight with him bc he obviously didnt tow before.
I'd say you need a new insurance company if it's been 2 months and it's still not fixed. I guess I'm lucky to say in Florida that if we had an accident it'd be getting fixed within the week.

Old 06-01-2008, 03:25 PM

my bumper =/
that sucks... hope u get it fixed. someone rear ended me once, so i took it to their insurance company to get an estimate,they wrote me out a check for 400.00. then i went to certa fit in san antonio and got a replacement bumper for 70.00, and installed it myself . everything was fine to frame and brackets. only damage i had was some scuff marks on the bumper. took about 1hour to replace the bumper, hardest part was removing plastic trim around hitch and on top of bumper.

Old 06-01-2008, 04:07 PM
Originally Posted by ThumperMX113
I'd say you need a new insurance company if it's been 2 months and it's still not fixed. I guess I'm lucky to say in Florida that if we had an accident it'd be getting fixed within the week.
since it was a four car accident instead of like two, the police report took over a week and a half to get and then i had to get contact the kids insurance company who hit all of us and then i had to get a quote from my auto body, then schedule an appoint for a gieco representative and he had to quote it, that was terrible and now they have too look at it again, it sucks

Old 06-01-2008, 04:15 PM
Originally Posted by hoya34
that sucks... hope u get it fixed. someone rear ended me once, so i took it to their insurance company to get an estimate,they wrote me out a check for 400.00. then i went to certa fit in san antonio and got a replacement bumper for 70.00, and installed it myself . everything was fine to frame and brackets. only damage i had was some scuff marks on the bumper. took about 1hour to replace the bumper, hardest part was removing plastic trim around hitch and on top of bumper.

your lucky. u pocketed like 330 minus paint. i wish mine was just the bumper.
heres some pic from mine. the red car hit me and the white car was the first one that got hit. you expect to see this on a highway not a side street
http://www.**************/showthread.php?t=7481

new link: http://www.**************/showthread...light=accident

nevermind not working

Old 06-02-2008, 08:50 AM
your lucky. u pocketed like 330 minus paint. i wish mine was just the bumper.
heres some pic from mine. the red car hit me and the white car was the first one that got hit. you expect to see this on a highway not a side street
http://www.**************/showthread.php?t=7481

new link: http://www.**************/showthread...light=accident

nevermind not working
i pocketed 970 from mine and i got tapped in the rear just slightly denting the bumper ... so that means a rollpan, lift block and leveling kit for me hahaha

Old 06-02-2008, 03:56 PM
Mine got rear ended by a mustang. 1600 dollars later it was fixed. If that hitch is bent at all you have to replace everything. The hitch is the mount for the bumper on the newer models.

Old 06-02-2008, 04:53 PM
Suspended
I forgot to mention, why in the world is this here?

Quick Reply: Rear-ended. What to look for???