Swirling from 21???

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 02:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Swirling from 21???

So a few days ago I washed my truck with goldclass and then decided to put megs 21 on and then I was gonna do megs 26, but I ran out of time.

I applied 21 with a foam applicator. Let dry, and removed with microfiber.

I noticed today that when looking in the sunlight I have miniature swirls on my truck. Do you think this is from the 21, or it could be I had a dirty wash mit when washing my truck. I didnt think 21 could do it, but maybe I did something wrong which induced swirls?

Thanks

Old 05-17-2008, 06:51 AM
If you applied #21 with a good clean applicator, and removed it with a clean, high quality MF towel, there's is no way that #21 would create swirls.

I suspect that the swirls were there before your application and removal, or you are seeing micro-marring of some type... possibly just in the LSP.

Carefully, try applying and removing a little more #21 to an area that you notice the swirls. If they disappear and don't return in a couple of days... it was micro-marring. If they don't disappear, or return in a few days, then you have more substantial marring.

Old 05-17-2008, 09:55 AM
Suspended
I'm willing to bet it's from your mitt. What kind of mitt are you using? How do you keep your mitt while not in use?

Old 05-17-2008, 10:46 AM
are the swirls a scratch that you can see, or is it an oily residue milky swirl.....if #21 is a liquid wax might try and shake it more...or if before you had a glaze that hid and filled the little swirls, the glaze is now gone and only #21 is left (thats if #21 is a wax and not a glaze)...from the way you said it was applied i dont think it could have made little swirls...if the applicator or towel to remove was dirty or had dirt on it, it turns out to have more noticable scratches (heavier and fewer marks than swirls)...all over consistant swirls usually are not from dirty applicator or mf

Old 05-17-2008, 11:03 AM
I suspect that you have LSP marring as Boss suggests.

Its more common than you think. Its something I deal with constantly.

My fix, modify your wash and dry methods and use something like PB WD or BH as a "in between" full detail product to conceal/minimize that marring. I have also experimented with PB QW+ and it does work. The issue from there is going to be product build up. The more you top products between full details the more product that is going to build up. You may or may not even notice though.

Old 05-17-2008, 07:54 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
As Boss mentioned, there's no way that #21, in and of itself, would cause swirling. The problem is likely in your application or removal technique. Another possibility, as has been mentioned, is that the swirls that you're seeing may have been 'filled' rather than removed and the #21 removed the fillers...

#21 doesn't have an abrasive aspect to the product and thus, there's no way that the product - by itself - will induce problems.

Old 05-17-2008, 09:11 PM
Suspended
I actually just did a FULL detail on my red Focus, starting with #83, followed by #80 in some spots, #7 in all, and #21 to finish. I let the #21 cure over night and removed in the morning.

When I pulled it out into the sun I thought at first glance I was seeing "swirls" that were visible before, but it was actually remaining oily residue from the #21.

I didn't have time to try using something like Last Touch to remove it, so I can't really help with saying how to remove it. Maybe try another wash?

Old 05-17-2008, 09:17 PM
Originally Posted by Lumadar
I actually just did a FULL detail on my red Focus, starting with #83, followed by #80 in some spots, #7 in all, and #21 to finish. I let the #21 cure over night and removed in the morning.

When I pulled it out into the sun I thought at first glance I was seeing "swirls" that were visible before, but it was actually remaining oily residue from the #21.

I didn't have time to try using something like Last Touch to remove it, so I can't really help with saying how to remove it. Maybe try another wash?
This is one of the very reason i stopped using 21. It does look great, but man it's seems to have a mind of its own sometimes.

Old 05-17-2008, 11:22 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by RollingRock
This is one of the very reason i stopped using 21. It does look great, but man it's seems to have a mind of its own sometimes.
I tell you what though, DAMn that stuff goes on and wipes off easily...well, except for that semi-invisible residue.

Know of any replacements that are as easy to work with? That was my favorite part about using that product after using 83 and 7, both of which were much messier and more difficult to remove.

Old 05-17-2008, 11:29 PM
I tell you what though, DAMn that stuff goes on and wipes off easily...well, except for that semi-invisible residue.

Know of any replacements that are as easy to work with? That was my favorite part about using that product after using 83 and 7, both of which were much messier and more difficult to remove.
No argument there. It does go on well.

As for a replacement, I know Rockpick is totally predicting my response, but Poorboys EX-P is a very solid replacement to 21. However, its a PURE sealer, no cleaning or filing properties to it. If you think 21 goes on well, try PB, it will make your toes curl....well kind of.

If you want a sealer with carnuba in it, try EX from PB but I prefer EX-P, you can top it in as little as an hour.

Just remember, sealing is an optional step, and it can be done after LSP or before, most prefer before. I have seen PB EX-P used both ways but I have never used it after LSP.

Old 05-17-2008, 11:31 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
NXT 2.0 liquid.

Old 05-18-2008, 12:28 AM
Suspended
No argument there. It does go on well.

As for a replacement, I know Rockpick is totally predicting my response, but Poorboys EX-P is a very solid replacement to 21. However, its a PURE sealer, no cleaning or filing properties to it. If you think 21 goes on well, try PB, it will make your toes curl....well kind of.

If you want a sealer with carnuba in it, try EX from PB but I prefer EX-P, you can top it in as little as an hour.

Just remember, sealing is an optional step, and it can be done after LSP or before, most prefer before. I have seen PB EX-P used both ways but I have never used it after LSP.
Sweet, hopefully soon I will pick some of that PB stuff up.

Somewhat related, how do the SSR products rank in terms of easy application, use, and removal?

Old 05-18-2008, 12:34 AM
Sweet, hopefully soon I will pick some of that PB stuff up.

Somewhat related, how do the SSR products rank in terms of easy application, use, and removal?
All the Pb products are easy on and easy off...that being said, are you doing this by hand or by DA?

Old 05-18-2008, 12:46 AM
Suspended
All the Pb products are easy on and easy off...that being said, are you doing this by hand or by DA?
Via FLEX

Old 05-18-2008, 12:51 AM
No problem. PB with a DA or a Flex are SOOOOO easy to use.

Last edited by RollingRock; 05-18-2008 at 12:53 AM.

Quick Reply: Swirling from 21???