A Few Detail Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 08:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A Few Detail Questions

Well after reading just about every thread in this section lol and a large order yesterday from ADS, I have a few questions people might be able to help me with.

What do you guys use to shine and clean your interior dash and console and plastic trim on the side of the seats ?

After seeing Rockpick use Hyperdressing on that engine yesterday and the shine I bought a gallon. Is HD to be sprayed on and just let dry to shine or wiped in with a rag ?

Also what other application is Hyper Dressing good for ?

What have you guys found is the best to blacken and keep a shine on a tire, to date I have only used Armor All but it is lost quickly. If you are using foam how do you get it on without getting it all over your rims ?

Is there a how to on the site about using a clay kit ? I just bought the megs one and am really unsure how to use it. Do you just spray on the solution in the bottle and rub with the clay block provided ? Do we just keep turning the block like playdo to hide the dirt on it and continue ?

How are you guys removing the brown/golding brake dust that get baked on your rims, I have been unable to remove it.

Thanks in advance

Old 04-08-2008, 08:54 AM
Originally Posted by Bigmoss
Well after reading just about every thread in this section lol and a large order yesterday from ADS, I have a few questions people might be able to help me with.

What do you guys use to shine and clean your interior dash and console and plastic trim on the side of the seats ?

After seeing Rockpick use Hyperdressing on that engine yesterday and the shine I bought a gallon. Is HD to be sprayed on and just let dry to shine or wiped in with a rag ?

What have you guys found is the best to blacken and keep a shine on a tire, to date I have only used Armor All but it is lost quickly. If you are using foam how do you get it on without getting it all over your rims ?

Is there a how to on the site about using a clay kit ? I just bought the megs one and am really unsure how to use it. Do you just spray on the solution in the bottle and rub with the clay block provided ? Do we just keep turning the block like playdo to hide the dirt on it and continue ?

How are you guys removing the brown/golding brake dust that get baked on your rims, I have been unable to remove it.

Thanks in advance
First off, check out the sticky.

Secondly, HD is to be diluted from 1:1 to 4:1 as you desire... It can be used for undercarriage, dash (if you like... I use Quick Interior Detailer or Natural Shine), tires, wheel wells, engine bays, etc. It does NOT have to be wiped down, although some prefer to do so.

to prevent getting sprays on your rims, make a cardboard cutout of your rim and hold it up. I also suggest putting something like plastic wrap over it so it doesnt fall apart when dressings soak through it.

BRAKE DUST: Get ahold of some simple green. I suggest diluting 1:1, but at first you may need to use it straight. Spray on the rims and let it soak in for about a minute. Using a DEDICATED wheel mitt/sponge, wipe off. If that doesnt work, use some "trashed" clay and clay your wheels. Take pics and post them first, though. We can usually help best with pics.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:04 AM
I'll try to provide you with some answers to your questions:

I like to use Meguiars #40. Another popular one around here is Meg's Quick Interior Detailer. There are many others and you should be able to find several threads discussing these.

Yes, you can spray HD on and just let it dry. I do this on wheel wells. For exterior trim, I usually spray it on an MF cloth first and then apply it by wiping down the trim with the cloth. Depending on where you are applying it, you'll probably want to come back after it has dried and give it a quick buff to get off any excess. This also helps it run less when it rains.

HD is good in many different areas. As I mentioned above, wheel wells and exterior trim are where I mainly use it. You can use it on tires to give them a nice shine. The uses are endless.

Hyperdressing can be used for this. I personally like Meguiar's Hot Rims Tire Shine.
To avoid overspray on rims you can cut-out a piece of cardboard that is the size of your rim and cut a small hole in the middle where you can hold it with your finger. Then hold it over the rim when applying a tire dressing and the overspray gets on the cardboard, not the rim. I usually just wipe off the overspray as soon as I finish spraying the tire.

You've pretty much got it down. Using clay isn't difficult. Just spray an area liberally with QD to lube it up. Then go over it in a couple different directions with the clay until the surface is smooth.

I find that I can get it off with my usual car wash soap/water mix and a dedicated wash mitt that I use only for this purpose. If you keep up with it, it comes off very easy. If it's been neglected and is baked on, you may need to use some simple green or an all-purpose cleaner. I don't know exactly how safe these are to use on the rims though. Maybe RP/Boss/Gip or one of the others with vast knowledge can answer this one for you.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:58 AM
Suspended
Your answers.
1. What do you guys use to shine and clean your interior dash and console and plastic trim on the side of the seats ?I prefer megs dash foam, works great and protects and leaves a nice dark sheen along with a good smell

After seeing Rockpick use Hyperdressing on that engine yesterday and the shine I bought a gallon. Is HD to be sprayed on and just let dry to shine or wiped in with a rag ? it can be sprayed on and after 30 min, blot off excess

Also what other application is Hyper Dressing good for ? HD is used on wheel wells, tires; basically anything thats black plastic that you want to shine

What have you guys found is the best to blacken and keep a shine on a tire, to date I have only used Armor All but it is lost quickly. If you are using foam how do you get it on without getting it all over your rims ? Hyperdressing works best

Is there a how to on the site about using a clay kit ? I just bought the megs one and am really unsure how to use it. Do you just spray on the solution in the bottle and rub with the clay block provided ? Do we just keep turning the block like playdo to hide the dirt on it and continue ? You use a lubricant. I take it you bought the kit and it comes with quick detailer or some similar lube. Simply spray onto a 3x3 section at a time, and flatten the clay out and slide it across the lubed areas to pick up the problems, continue doing this until the area is smooth and the clay has no trouble freely gliding across it. Yes, continue turning the clay to hide the dirt.

How are you guys removing the brown/golding brake dust that get baked on your rims, I have been unable to remove it. Depends on your rim. Most rims you simply clean during the car wash process, then use a rim cleaner to remove the dirt and other buildup. be patient and if they are new rims, they should have no problem getting cleaned. then put a wax on to add protection. If you evetually get tired of brake dust, but new rotors and pads. The most recommended on here are cyroslots and hawk pads or carquest blue pads.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:08 AM

I use Meg's Rubber and Vinyl Cleaner Conditioner tried many other but alwasy return to this one.

Never tried or used HD so I cannot help there

Again I have no idea.

I use Meg's Hot Shine Tire Spray the aerosal version NOt the foam one.

http://www.autogeek.net/detailing-clay-bar.html

Like has been said depends on what type of wheels you have. If chrome I use CG Blue Wheel cleaner and then Mother Chrome polsih to remove those stains.

Thanks in advance

Old 04-08-2008, 02:26 PM
Just got an email from ADS and they dont ship to Canada even though some members swore they did

Does anyone know of another online detail store that does ship to Canada ?

Old 04-08-2008, 05:19 PM
I am pretty sure Autogeek.com does

Old 04-08-2008, 10:17 PM
I worked something out with Rick at ADS and will be getting my stuff !

Old 04-08-2008, 10:18 PM
Yet another example of why Rick is so well-liked and highly respected around these parts.

Old 04-08-2008, 10:32 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
While there are a lot of great detail-supply shops, Rick continually comes through with killer customer service and a great product line. Time after time after time... you see members here and on lots of message boards (not just detailing forums either!) that use Rick as their SOLE SOURCE for detailing supplies and equipment.

Having met him personally back in 2004 @ Meguiar's, both he and his wife are TOP NOTCH folks with a passion for detailing...

Ever wonder what Rick looks like? Probably not, huh? HAHA! Here he is! No, it's not the goofy guy with the glasses that was immitating Meguiar's Director of Training Mike Pennington (you had to be there to get the joke -- just trust me on this one)... look in the background... the guy with the white Meguiar's shirt on...

That's Rick immediately after giving the Mirka abrasives a whirl on the top of the truck of this 'detail' car. The other guy is Jamie... Jamie is a detailer on the East Coast that specialized in airplanes (heck of a nice guy).

Old 04-08-2008, 10:35 PM
Is ADS this place by chance? And if so do we get a discount there? I have purcashed from them before and if he supporets the saite I would be more apt to buy from them again.

http://www.autodetailingsolutions.com/index.htm

Old 04-08-2008, 10:35 PM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by Richard D

Correct.

See the guy above in the white shirt in the background? That's who owns Auto Detailing Solutions.

Old 04-08-2008, 10:49 PM
Suspended
theres no picture RP

Old 04-08-2008, 10:54 PM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by gators241987
theres no picture RP
No pic in post #10? It's linked out of my f150online.com gallery...

It should be there?

Old 04-08-2008, 11:00 PM
Suspended
ahh, there it is, i guess my comp was messing up. Ive seen that picture before. i dunno where, i guess mol. haha, goofy mike#2. i swear mike#1 aka mike phillips reminds me of val kilmer, atleast me and my gf thought so when we watched the dvd. by the way, anyone who hasnt watched the dvd about how to use your da, pick it up, its very helpful

Quick Reply: A Few Detail Questions