3M Products

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 10:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3M Products

What do You think of their Products Overall? I "Detail" At a body Shop and Thats all we use, From an APC, to Compounds, To Wheel Cleaners. I Told A Guy at work about all my Megs Products that I had, and he argued that our 3M Products are far superior to my Megs Products.

What do you think?

Old 02-28-2008, 11:38 PM
Originally Posted by Skrewd
What do You think of their Products Overall? I "Detail" At a body Shop and Thats all we use, From an APC, to Compounds, To Wheel Cleaners. I Told A Guy at work about all my Megs Products that I had, and he argued that our 3M Products are far superior to my Megs Products.

What do you think?
While not used 3M products in a long time, I would say there are MANY products that dwarf 3M.

I do think that Megs is better pending the line.

Of course this is my opinion, but I think that Poorboys, Megs, Menzerna, Optimum, ClearKote trump 3M pretty hard. I prefer the boutique products.

I may get slammed for this, but I consider 3M products kind of outdated and too old school with little innovation and change, similar to ArmorAll.

i don't know a single detailer that uses 3M products.

All that being said, what RockPick says often, there are some bad products in every line. No one product line is perfect. But i don't see a reason to jump to 3M products over what I listed.

Old 02-29-2008, 07:15 AM
i love 3m and use with rotary only...they make a great line of compounds and machine glazes....i have tried a few other compunds, but they did not apply the way 3m does, better or not, prob just unfamiliar. they break down a bit different imho. i would guess one big reason that most body shops use 3m, is that most of the 3m line, they contain no silicates. those little particles become airborn and its hard to lay paint down nice. with the lack of no fillers or no silicates i think 3m vs megs is-what you see is what you get, no fillers and no hidding. you can see your work as it comes along easily, not wonder about can i fill or minimize fine compound swirls with a glaze or wax. i see it post here time and again of people loving how a wax or a polish or glaze will fill the scratches...why did you start to detail...finish it and get the scratches out dont hide them either by doing so in the shade or with a filler type product.

i just have not found a 3m wax that is worth the time.

maybe the guy at the shop is as stubborn as i am. i have used 3m for over 20 years now and everytime i pick up a pc or use a megs product i look at how it does not do what a 3m product will do

Last edited by troberts6874; 02-29-2008 at 07:20 AM.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:19 AM
3M Is widely known for their compounds. I like their compounds personally, not for detailing cars but for buffing after wet sanding, etc. Most "Body" shops use them because the are readily available at most automotive paint suppliers. But when it comes to professional detailing, I wont use their stuff. The 3 brands I mostly use are Menzerna, Pinnacle and Poorboys.

In short...Does 3M make a good product? Sure! Just not for me....

Tell your body shop buddy that you want to challenge him to a detail fest, he will use his 3M and you use your Meg's...loser buys the winner some

Old 02-29-2008, 09:45 AM
Good 3M products come from the UK (Ultra Fina SE, although I hear the US version is good too). When I think of 3M, I think of body shops and hacks. Sorry Skrewd. But there are detailers who use 3M polishes. I will be trying some Ultra Fina which is supposed to be better then 106FF, so we'll see.

Old 02-29-2008, 04:10 PM
Originally Posted by 03gtmustang
Good 3M products come from the UK (Ultra Fina SE, although I hear the US version is good too). When I think of 3M, I think of body shops and hacks. Sorry Skrewd. But there are detailers who use 3M polishes. I will be trying some Ultra Fina which is supposed to be better then 106FF, so we'll see.
Yeah i have heard great things about Ultrafina....but as RR said every line has a bad apple here and there...but i also believe most lines have at least 1 decent product....never tried any at all but i have heard the same as far as Ultrafina is concerned

Old 02-29-2008, 05:08 PM
Originally Posted by stud_135
Yeah i have heard great things about Ultrafina....but as RR said every line has a bad apple here and there...but i also believe most lines have at least 1 decent product....never tried any at all but i have heard the same as far as Ultrafina is concerned
Yes and to be honest, I didn't even factor in the "compounds" in my rant. 3M does make some good compounds I have used only a few times and I never felt comfortable using them, granted I have zero experience with a rotary.

Old 03-02-2008, 02:13 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Everyone's got an opinion and different people are comfortable with different products.

The 'us versus them' type of crap isn't productive, doesn't really yield much positive information, and is, in my opinion, becoming a waste of bandwidth here.

Quick Reply: 3M Products