How much damage do think this is causing

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 09:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much damage do think this is causing

This pic was taken after a 265 mile road trip. And on top of that who ever detailed the truck before I owned it put a ton of swirls in it with a rotary buffer when you look at in the direct sun light. I am going to purchase everthing I need over the coming months from ADS to bring the paint back. Any tips and pointers would be greatly appreciated. I will also post some pics of the swirling when I get the truck washed again.

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/e...3/DSC_0333.jpg

Old 01-18-2008, 09:38 PM
Originally Posted by dsq3973
This pic was taken after a 265 mile road trip. And on top of that who ever detailed the truck before I owned it put a ton of swirls in it with a rotary buffer when you look at in the direct sun light. I am going to purchase everthing I need over the coming months from ADS to bring the paint back. Any tips and pointers would be greatly appreciated. I will also post some pics of the swirling when I get the truck washed again.

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/e...3/DSC_0333.jpg

Um, ok...the picture linked shows a dirty truck.

I would start with 2 things. 1. Warmer weather and 2. A good washing. Then post more photos so we can help you.

EDIT, your question...how much damage is what causing? Driving 265 miles, snow, ice, previous owner?

Last edited by RollingRock; 01-18-2008 at 09:40 PM.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:57 PM
I know the photo sucks. It was all I could get before I lost the light. I will wash the truck in a couple of weeks when I can wash my truck and not have to worry about the doors freezing shut. What you cant see is that just about every surface of the truck has a coat of salt and sand coating the truck. I should have worded my previous post better. Is there anything I can do to protect my truck for about nine months while winter is here?

Old 01-18-2008, 10:01 PM
I know the photo sucks. It was all I could get before I lost the light. I will wash the truck in a couple of weeks when I can wash my truck and not have to worry about the doors freezing shut. What you cant see is that just about every surface of the truck has a coat of salt and sand coating the truck. I should have worded my previous post better. Is there anything I can do to protect my truck for about nine months while winter is here?
Well with those conditions, you really cannot help it...it is what it is.

Best thing for winter, would be to wash the truck even in the cold just to knock off the salt and stuff. If you could do that at a car wash....but until it gets warmer and more photos, we'll be in a better spot to help you with an attack plan.

Sorry bro.

JP

Old 01-18-2008, 10:11 PM
My personal opinion.

As soon as you can get some warmer weather. I would give it a good hand washing and maybe do it twice. Then hit it with a good clay bar. Maybe twice here too. That will put you in a situation to where you can completely assess most of the paint's problems. If you don't have the ADS stuff by then put a good coat of wax on it to keep it from getting any worse till you do have the stuff.

After claying would be the opportune time to grab a bunch of pictures and post them here. That way the elders might be able to better give you some advice on what products will best suit the situation/problems.

Old 01-18-2008, 11:10 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
A coat of wax, in and of itself, won't keep swirls from occuring nor will it keep the finish quid pro quo.

As has been mentioned, the next step is to find warmer weather (or a heated garage) and start bringing it back. Utilizing a PC (or G-100) is a great way to go about accomplishing this task. Along with the right product selection, the use of the PC can really cut your detail time down. Plus, it'll make getting rid of the pesky swirls much easier than attempting it by hand.

RP

Old 01-19-2008, 01:50 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i live in West Virginia and my truck looks like that through most of the winter... i just stop at the local car wash and use the pressure wand with just the rinse and knock all the salt and crap off.... it still has a "dirty" look to it... just doesn't have all the salt and crap

Old 01-19-2008, 09:04 AM
I will keep on washing the truck until spring gets here in 8 to 10 weeks. I wish there was some where that I could get the truck in where its warm to wash and detail the entire truck. I just hate seeing my truck looking like this. Thank you for the advice I will be asking more questions when the sun and warm weather arrive.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:35 AM
Angry Stupid me......

Well I washed the truck on Monday to try and get some good pictures for you to look at. Now I have to take my truck to the body shop because I burned a hole in my paint the pressure washer. I am really begining to hate winter. I slipped on the ice in the wash bay and the wand got to close to the truck and caused about 1/2x1/8 spot to be burned through the paint above the drivers side door handle. At least it will get a good bath now.

Last edited by dsq3973; 01-23-2008 at 12:36 PM.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:55 AM
Well I washed the truck on Monday to try and get some good pictures for you to look at. Now I have to take my truck to the body shop because I burned a hole in my paint the pressure washer. I am really begining to hate winter. I slipped on the ice in the wash bay and the wand got to close to the truck and caused about 1/2x1/8 spot to be burned through the paint above the drivers side door handle. At least it will get a good bath now.
WTH?

I am in a meeting right now or I would respond more.

JP

Old 01-23-2008, 11:21 AM
I will get a picture when I am at home for lunch.

Old 01-23-2008, 12:36 PM
Here is the hole in the paint.

Old 01-23-2008, 12:44 PM
I didn't know a pressure washer could do that... I always use it on a real fine setting though. It takes longer but it makes me feel better. Sorry that happened to you.. I'd be pretty upset.

Old 01-23-2008, 12:45 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
i've never seen a washer do that. must have been very high pressure. Was this a self service car wash or a power washer at home?

Old 01-23-2008, 12:57 PM
This was at a car wash. When I slipped on the ice in the wash bay the tip of the wand was pretty close to the paint. And yes I am pretty upset with myself right now.

Quick Reply: How much damage do think this is causing