What is the deal with Black Ford paint 2004 and up?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 12:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is the deal with Black Ford paint 2004 and up?

Did they leave the clear coat out for a reason?

Anybody else love their black truck but hate the way Ford painted it?
Not my first black vehicle but the first that seems to have no clear coat.
Looks clean for about 30 minutes.

Old 01-14-2008, 12:22 AM
No clear coat, huh? That's really odd, especially on a 2004. That would be the first I've heard of.

Are you sure it's SS? Looking clean for only 30 minutes doesn't mean no clear coat, it means you bought the biggest PITA color car in the world to take care of and keep looking clean.

Old 01-14-2008, 12:22 AM
mine seems to chip really easy to

Old 01-14-2008, 12:31 AM
Originally Posted by roushstage2
No clear coat, huh? That's really odd, especially on a 2004. That would be the first I've heard of.

Are you sure it's SS? Looking clean for only 30 minutes doesn't mean no clear coat, it means you bought the biggest PITA color car in the world to take care of and keep looking clean.
I dont understand SS or PITA?
Actually when I wash it I see dust before I start to dry.
My last truck was gold and it never looked dirty. Black seems to attract dust but I think they did it intentionally for some durability issue I dont understand.
It scratches easily and either it's very thin or not there.
Where are Rolling Rock and Rock Pick?

Old 01-14-2008, 12:36 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My moms black fx4 chips easy.....

Old 01-14-2008, 12:39 AM
PITA is Pain In The ***, but i dont know SS

Old 01-14-2008, 01:04 AM
Originally Posted by Old Dogg™
I dont understand SS or PITA?
Actually when I wash it I see dust before I start to dry.
My last truck was gold and it never looked dirty. Black seems to attract dust but I think they did it intentionally for some durability issue I dont understand.
It scratches easily and either it's very thin or not there.
Where are Rolling Rock and Rock Pick?
SS is a detailing/paint term.

SS means Single Stage paint. If you have SS paint, when you rub something like a towel, cleaner, polish, wax, the color of the paint will come off onto the applicator pad. SS is a mix of clear coat and the color paint. SS paints require much more upkeep than modern CC/BC paints. CC/BC is a 2 stage paint on most cars now days. It is the color as one coat (BC- Base Coat), and the clear (CC- Top Coat) as another. When you work on CC/BC paints, you don't see any color because it's clear!
CC/BC paint is more durable in the sense that the color won't fade because the CC is like the protective barrier. When you have CC failure though, the paint looks like junk because the BC isn't made to be polished on, and the CC that gives it the nice shiny look (well, if it's taken care of) is gone and it needs to be repainted.

PITA- Pain in the A--.

Gold won't show dirt very well because...it's basically the same color! Black shows everything. Therefore= PITA to clean and keep clean. Black doesn't attract more dust, you just see it all.

If you are seeing dust before you dry, you need to either move somewhere else, wet the ground down so there isn't dust while you're working, or use QD while drying so you don't swirl the paint.

Ford CC/BC Black is a very thin paint. It sucks, I know. That's why I will be getting my car repainted some day.

Last edited by roushstage2; 01-14-2008 at 01:06 AM.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:09 AM
Suspended
You can thank the EPA for your crappy paint. National laws about paint are getting out of control. Paint quality in all areas is on the fall and prices are sky rocketing to try and come up with new ways to make "green" paint.

Old 01-14-2008, 01:11 AM
Originally Posted by Lumadar
You can thank the EPA for your crappy paint. National laws about paint are getting out of control. Paint quality in all areas is on the fall and prices are sky rocketing to try and come up with new ways to make "green" paint.
Word. I *think* VOC regulations take part as well?

Old 01-14-2008, 01:34 AM
Suspended
Word. I *think* VOC regulations take part as well?
I think so. My neighbor is a contractor who builds houses (literally, ground up with 1 helper), built his own hot rod (I mean that in every sense of the word. He started with NOTHING. He made his own frame etc), also does cabinets for homes as well. That said, he does a lot of painting and he was explaining to me just yesterday how insane the cost of paint is, and how it is expected go to through the roof over the next year, and the options for quality paints will be going down.

As it is now he drives to Arizona to buy his supplies because the laws aren't as bad there as in California

Old 01-14-2008, 02:21 AM
If you are seeing dust before you dry, you need to either move somewhere else, wet the ground down so there isn't dust while you're working, or use QD while drying so you don't swirl the paint.

Ford CC/BC Black is a very thin paint. It sucks, I know. That's why I will be getting my car repainted some day.
Good info/explanation. Now I understand...Thanks.

It's been a dry last couple of years but I got a big driveway and by the time im finished it's all wet, and the yard has thick grass. Either it comes off the house and trees (none over the driveway) This SS Black has more drag and cling to it or I guess SS black just lets me see everything. I have had other black vehicles but never single stage paint. Maybe with more of a thick acrylic top layer dust blows off easier.
I have been thinking about vinyl with some creative design around the edges.

Originally Posted by Lumadar
Just when paints were getting so creative?
Less for more money seems to be the wave of the future.

Old 01-14-2008, 02:33 AM
i dont understand what the problem is?

this is a reflection of cloud on my hood notice the chips...

that was back when i was washing every week maybe twice a week and wax every other week with polish every other wax

Old 01-14-2008, 02:34 AM
Originally Posted by Old Dogg™
Good info/explanation. Now I understand...Thanks.

It's been a dry last couple of years but I got a big driveway and by the time im finished it's all wet, and the yard has thick grass. Either it comes off the house and trees (none over the driveway) This SS Black has more drag and cling to it or I guess SS black just lets me see everything. I have had other black vehicles but never single stage paint. Maybe with more of a thick acrylic top layer dust blows off easier.
I have been thinking about vinyl with some creative design around the edges.
What I'm thinking though is you have BC/CC, not SS. Usually on newer vehicles, with the exception of certain Import models with certain colors, do not have SS. Not your truck. For the most part, Ford stopped using SS in the 80's. My G/F's Bronco is a 1986, it is the original Black paint, and it is BC/CC. My truck has SS because it was repainted, probably by the previous owners. SS paint is cheaper than BC/CC.

Black, whether it is SS or BC/CC, will show you everything. It is the darkest color. Everything else is lighter so you will see it. Dirt, dust, pollen, other colors...

Drag usually means there is little/no wax on the surface. If there is wax on the surface, there shouldn't be too much/no drag on the paint.

Old 01-14-2008, 03:02 AM
Originally Posted by azmidget91
i dont understand what the problem is?

that was back when i was washing every week maybe twice a week and wax every other week with polish every other wax
Nice black truck!

What I'm thinking though is you have BC/CC, not SS. Usually on newer vehicles, with the exception of certain Import models with certain colors, do not have SS. Not your truck. For the most part, Ford stopped using SS in the 80's. My G/F's Bronco is a 1986, it is the original Black paint, and it is BC/CC. My truck has SS because it was repainted, probably by the previous owners. SS paint is cheaper than BC/CC.

Black, whether it is SS or BC/CC, will show you everything. It is the darkest color. Everything else is lighter so you will see it. Dirt, dust, pollen, other colors...

Drag usually means there is little/no wax on the surface. If there is wax on the surface, there shouldn't be too much/no drag on the paint.
I dont really know if its SS or not. I have had 2 black hondas , a black acura, a black benz a black chevy, 2 black motorcycles, black rims and none of the paints acts like this truck. In the warmer months I wax nearly every wash (cause it looks bad to my eye to see any water spots) and I mostly wash weeky.

Maybe it's got to do with eye level dust on the truck and looking down on the cars and motorcycles but I dont think so...

Last edited by Old Dogg™; 01-14-2008 at 03:05 AM.
Old 01-14-2008, 04:00 AM
If you want to know if it's SS or not, get some cleaner like Deep Crystal, M80, or even a Cleaner Wax. Rub it on the paint. Does the pad turn black? If yes, it is SS. If not, it is BC/CC.

Quick Reply: What is the deal with Black Ford paint 2004 and up?