2004 Envoy Detail w/ Pics!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 06:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 Envoy Detail w/ Pics!!!

Hey guys..hopefully some of you have given a gander at my gripe in another post i made...but if not here is the rundown

This is my mom's 2004 GMC Envoy...forgive me i know it is not an F150 but i mainly wanted to get some feedback on my work here...here is the process

1. Wash with Chemical Guy's Citrus Wash (2 ounces in 2 gallons of water for paint cleansing)

2. Meguiar's Blue Clay

3. G100 polish with #80 on Green Light Cutting Pad CCS from Lake Country

4. #9 with White Polishing Lake Country CCS Pad

5. Seal with Poorboy's EXP wait 60 minutes with foam applicator

6. Top with #26 with foam applicator

Wheel wells saw APC+ 4:1 and a stiff brush (these were filthy) tires saw the same thing...wheels saw a dedicated mitt and wash solution then cleaned with Meg's All Wheel Cleaner...Wells treated with Hyperdressing at 3:1 and trim and tires saw Chemical Guys Xtreme Shine Dressing....windows with D-Line Meg's Glass Cleaner

Overall time...11 hours and i still couldnt round out all of the scratches..but go check out my other threat (hint hint) Hope you like here are 2 befores and 2 afters......all feedback is welcomed thanks!

This one hurts to look at!

This one is my favorite

Old 12-31-2007, 06:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
looks great!

Old 12-31-2007, 07:06 PM
Nice work indeed. I bet it was fun doing that in the cold.

How did you like using the Lake Pads?

That EX-P is hard to track on the paint isn't it?

Old 12-31-2007, 07:37 PM
Well i had a portable heater in the garage with the door down..plus my shop light was putting out plenty of heat so i was fine..however i was worried that the paint wouldnt heat up quite enough for the defect removal...but i had that shop light aimed right at it and it did a fine job of keeping the paint semi-decent temp...and to be honest i feel that the 4.5 inch pads would be better on a PC...i am not crazy about the pads i am using Rollingrock cuz i find them bulky and bog down quite a bit..as for the PB EXP even with a 500 watt halogen light it was hard to find out where i had been...i always try to spread as THIN as i can and with this stuff it was hard...i ended up doing two coats just to ensure coverage because i was so uncertain....it is too bad i have 12 Lake Country 6.5 inch CCS pads...i remember you are a VCS kinda guy correct?? I need to try those..and i also want to get a 3.5 inch backing plate and try the 4.5 inch pads..Autogeek had like 6 cutting and 6 polishing on closeout for 15 bucks..very good price..i think the benefit would be to generate more heat and would be great for spot polishing...what are your thoughts?

Old 12-31-2007, 08:36 PM
Looks good from the pics... Where in TX are you?

Old 12-31-2007, 09:09 PM
In Dalhart, Texas right now until Wednesday and headin to Las Vegas and then back home to Hobbs, NM it is a lot warmer there than it is in Dalhart

Old 01-01-2008, 01:52 AM
Originally Posted by stud_135
Well i had a portable heater in the garage with the door down..plus my shop light was putting out plenty of heat so i was fine..however i was worried that the paint wouldnt heat up quite enough for the defect removal...but i had that shop light aimed right at it and it did a fine job of keeping the paint semi-decent temp...and to be honest i feel that the 4.5 inch pads would be better on a PC...i am not crazy about the pads i am using Rollingrock cuz i find them bulky and bog down quite a bit..as for the PB EXP even with a 500 watt halogen light it was hard to find out where i had been...i always try to spread as THIN as i can and with this stuff it was hard...i ended up doing two coats just to ensure coverage because i was so uncertain....it is too bad i have 12 Lake Country 6.5 inch CCS pads...i remember you are a VCS kinda guy correct?? I need to try those..and i also want to get a 3.5 inch backing plate and try the 4.5 inch pads..Autogeek had like 6 cutting and 6 polishing on closeout for 15 bucks..very good price..i think the benefit would be to generate more heat and would be great for spot polishing...what are your thoughts?
I prefer the Lake VC pads. But you need the 6" backing plate.

Old 01-01-2008, 01:28 PM
Have you ever used the low profile 5.5 inch pads? Where do you buy your VC pads? i looked at autogeek and danase and cant find them. Interesting to read in your other post about SSR3...do you feel that maybe something like this compound would be warranted to clean up neglect...and then a lighter plan of action at a later date?

Old 01-01-2008, 02:40 PM
Have you ever used the low profile 5.5 inch pads? Where do you buy your VC pads? i looked at autogeek and danase and cant find them. Interesting to read in your other post about SSR3...do you feel that maybe something like this compound would be warranted to clean up neglect...and then a lighter plan of action at a later date?
I get my Lakes from 2 places. But really, if you take care of them you won't have to replace them very often.

http://www.specialtymotoring.com/laco6cuedvac.html

or

http://www.topoftheline.com/7durvelpad.html

I think SSR3 is a GREAT product. If you use at too high of a speed with a Yellow Lake pad you will dull the surface....then you step down to a lighter cut, polish that back out....SSR1 with a Green Lake does well. This is where knowing the techniques and nuances of each product line and how they react in certain situations. When i use SSR3 with a Yellow pad, you shouldn't go over speed 5 on the DA, this will keep the dulling effect at a minimum.

Old 01-02-2008, 11:41 AM
5. Seal with Poorboy's EXP wait 60 minutes with foam applicator
I am a little confused with this statement? I thought you had to let a sealer like EXP set in for 12 hours? Please elaborate on what I missed?

Old 01-02-2008, 11:59 AM
Originally Posted by jmm4879
I am a little confused with this statement? I thought you had to let a sealer like EXP set in for 12 hours? Please elaborate on what I missed?
I can chime in on this one....not all sealers need 12 hours to set up....however, that being said if I had time, I would let EX-P set up longer...but I have yet to see any streaking from going at the LSP after 60 min over EX-P

From experience, I have have seen LSP streak like mad on Megs #21 b/c it wasn't set up enough. And by this I mean, I applied 21 took it off, and waxed over a portion of the hood. Only to realize, it was bad...so I started over on that section. It was APINA.

Old 01-02-2008, 12:31 PM
Originally Posted by RollingRock
I can chime in on this one....not all sealers need 12 hours to set up....however, that being said if I had time, I would let EX-P set up longer...but I have yet to see any streaking from going at the LSP after 60 min over EX-P

From experience, I have have seen LSP streak like mad on Megs #21 b/c it wasn't set up enough. And by this I mean, I applied 21 took it off, and waxed over a portion of the hood. Only to realize, it was bad...so I started over on that section. It was APINA.
Thanks RR! I can now get truck done in one day and not wait overnite for LSP. BTW, EX-P works great for me on white truck!

Old 01-02-2008, 12:55 PM
Originally Posted by jmm4879
BTW, EX-P works great for me on white truck!
I agree.

I am going to top EX-P Over ClearKoat Hand Glaze next time.

Old 01-02-2008, 02:19 PM
Originally Posted by RollingRock
I agree.

I am going to top EX-P Over ClearKoat Hand Glaze next time.
Yep, I also used ClearKoat Vanilla Moose Glaze... with Collinite 845 as LSP during the winter... Still has a great shine even after all the salt and other crap in KC area.

Old 01-02-2008, 08:14 PM
In Dalhart, Texas right now until Wednesday and headin to Las Vegas and then back home to Hobbs, NM it is a lot warmer there than it is in Dalhart
Sure wish I could have gotten my DA a little earlier so you could have shown me how to use it.

Quick Reply: 2004 Envoy Detail w/ Pics!!!