need help, been hunting! been scratching paint!

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 12:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy need help, been hunting! been scratching paint!

hello, folks of care and detailing.. i need help from this section of the forum lineup so i do hope i can get some help over here! THANKS IN ADVANCE! well, after 4 big hunting trips and 2 deer in the freezer( 4 point 6point) i have found that after i have cleaned up my truck i have several to many scratches in the paint.. it was so very easy to put them on there, i cant even imagine how hard its gonna be to get rid of them, i can state that none of the scratches are down to the metal or nothing like that. from my knowledge its only deepened to the clear and thats it.. so what do you all think? whta advise can i get, if i were to take it to a detail shop what kinda of questions am i looking to get answered? and what can i expect to get for the $$$$$$ !
:santa:

Old 12-02-2007, 12:40 AM
sry Im not answering your question but I was amazed that I found a truck almost exactly like mine. (a little diferent)

Old 12-02-2007, 12:58 AM
Get Meguiars Scratch X. It's like 7 bucks and it works wonders for brush scratches etc from the outdoors. I actually just used it myself to get some out of my Ram. It's not a wipe on and wipe off miracle product, you have to put some muscle into it. It really does a great job of removing light scratching - just remember that one coat probably won't do it, just be patient and use multiple coats.

Clean the area to be fixed, then use firm pressure with a foam applicator sponge, don't go crazy mad man on it but don't be scared to push, and go in the direction of the scratch for best results. Don't over do it and work in like 4x4 or 8x8 sections so you can keep an eye on your progress. It will get kind of hazy then wipe it off with a microfiber polishing cloth and reapply as needed. And don't forget to wax the spots you worked on afterwards to reseal that area. Scratch x isn't a wax that temporarily fills the scratch but it grinds down the clear and such ever so slightly to even it out, so it needs to be resealed.

Damn I almost sound like a salesman for them or something lol. Really though, I was very impressed with it. Hope this helps

Old 12-02-2007, 02:16 AM
Originally Posted by 9mwilson
sry Im not answering your question but I was amazed that I found a truck almost exactly like mine. (a little diferent)
wow, lookin great i am aswell suprised to see another heritage matching so closely.. i have big plans for mine in the near future... but for now i am absoessed with my other investment( my house) something i can get a much greater return out of, already up 350% (profit) from purchase price and just cant stop fixing it up. a new garage to come in the spring then ill be done with the house nad maybe then i can get to the truck... likin what youve done with yours..

Old 12-02-2007, 02:16 AM
Originally Posted by mrshadetree0222
hello, folks of care and detailing.. i need help from this section of the forum lineup so i do hope i can get some help over here! THANKS IN ADVANCE! well, after 4 big hunting trips and 2 deer in the freezer( 4 point 6point) i have found that after i have cleaned up my truck i have several to many scratches in the paint.. it was so very easy to put them on there, i cant even imagine how hard its gonna be to get rid of them, i can state that none of the scratches are down to the metal or nothing like that. from my knowledge its only deepened to the clear and thats it.. so what do you all think? whta advise can i get, if i were to take it to a detail shop what kinda of questions am i looking to get answered? and what can i expect to get for the $$$$$$ !
:santa:
Pictures of the scratches are needed if you want the best solutions from the elders here.

Welcome to the CD section.

Old 12-02-2007, 02:11 PM
If you can't feel the scratches with your fingernail they will come out. As RR said, it would really help to see some pictures of what you are talking about.

Old 12-16-2007, 12:12 AM
finally got a new puter, and wifey is gonna get her camera to work and get us (you helpers, and myself) more photos of the truck, and hopefully with as close to detailed pics of scratches as possible. so maybe if you all have time over the break of next weekend to take a look at the photos then i will get them up if i have time in between all the family(yeehaw, sarcastically spoken)

Old 12-16-2007, 04:49 AM
Do you own a DA or will you be doing this all by hand?

Old 12-16-2007, 12:49 PM
I would be willing to bet he is doing this by hand, thus my reccommendation is Scratch-X.

With Scratch-X, the abrasives are what is known as "Diminishing abrasives"-- in other words, the longer you work it, the finer the abrasives get, making it a great one stepper to remove the scratches and scuffs you put in while on the trails.

HOW TO USE S-X: in terms of pressure applied, do the following, with a 1 being the lowest pressure and 9 being the highest: 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1. Do this on a spot that is fairly small (if it was a square, then I would say 1 square foot. For trail scratches, I would say work one scratch for no more than 2 feet long at a time, then move on). Do not be afraid to use this product 2-3 times in one place; it is not magic, thus it may be necessary to reapply.

Also, please check out the detailing sticky at the top. It covers a LOT of theses types of questions.

IF YOU DECIDE TO GO TO A DETAILER: You should be asking all the following questions (and maybe a few more):

-can you see pictures of or the actual vehicles of their previous work?
-What all are they going to do?
-How much will they charge?
-How long are they going to have your truck?
-Can you choose what things you want them to do?

You need to go in there knowing how much you are willing to pay and knowing what you want them to do for you. For instance, you might want to wash it and clay it right before you take it to them-- this will save you a good bit of $$$. Plus, unless you are after a show car shine, you might tell them to only remove the scratches. But if you are also interested in swirl removal, you might just let them have at it. Whatever you do, I would tell them to skip the interior; that is VERY easy for you to do yourself, and that will easily save you some SERIOUS $$$.

Good luck and let us know how everything turns out. (Dont forget pics!!!)

Quick Reply: need help, been hunting! been scratching paint!