Questions on detail this weekend

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 04:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions on detail this weekend

Ok, So Im going to do a full detail this weekend on my 07 KR. Its been about 6 months since the last and I have a few questions.
-#1- I have a few "fine" swirls. Is Meguirs Scratch X going to take care of this?

I plan on doing things in this order. Lemme know if its good or not.

-Wash w/ dish detergent (2 bucket method)
-Lightly dry excess water
-Clay (doesnt need it bad, but just to get the little stuff off)
-Scratch X (for the swirls)
-Meguirs Paint Cleaner
-NXT
-Seal with a carnuba wax

Now, I dont have much time to order products online and wait for the stuff to get in, so Im pretty much limited to what I can get at Advance Auto Parts. Is what Ive listed going to be good, or am I defeating the purpose with Paint cleaner?

Thanks!

Old 10-31-2007, 05:40 PM
Originally Posted by 05FX4SCW
Ok, So Im going to do a full detail this weekend on my 07 KR. Its been about 6 months since the last and I have a few questions.
-#1- I have a few "fine" swirls. Is Meguirs Scratch X going to take care of this?

I plan on doing things in this order. Lemme know if its good or not.

-Wash w/ dish detergent (2 bucket method)
-Lightly dry excess water
-Clay (doesnt need it bad, but just to get the little stuff off)
-Scratch X (for the swirls)
-Meguirs Paint Cleaner
-NXT
-Seal with a carnuba wax

Now, I dont have much time to order products online and wait for the stuff to get in, so Im pretty much limited to what I can get at Advance Auto Parts. Is what Ive listed going to be good, or am I defeating the purpose with Paint cleaner?

Thanks!
Looks good, however, the LSP is not really a sealer, just wax. The NXT is a sealer. You may get some streaking over NXT if it is not set up. But over all, looks good.

As always lets see some befores and afters

Old 10-31-2007, 09:07 PM
make sure the carnuaba you use is a pure carnuaba, not a cleaner wax.

are you planning on using scratchX on the whole thing?

Old 11-01-2007, 10:29 AM
Yes, Im going to Scratch X the truck. I dont think its going to take much. The swirls are very faint and only seen if at the exact right angle.

BTW, Ive got some simple green and am going to clean the underbody up too. What do ya'll reccomend for a dressing to give it that deep black look again?

Thanks

Old 11-01-2007, 11:03 AM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
ScratchX is not designed to do the whole truck. Only use it on spots where your main polishing product doesn't clean it all up. It's for *scratches*, not swirls.

Old 11-01-2007, 11:16 AM
That looks good, like stated above, post some before and afters

Old 11-01-2007, 11:42 AM
Gotcha on the Scratch X. Ill take some before and afters and post them up when I get it done. Starting at 9ish saturday, should be done by 3 or so.

Old 11-01-2007, 12:46 PM
I'll throw my .02 in... You have to be carefull using dish detergent when washing your car bc many of them have a fine grit that can put fine scratches in your paint. If you want something to remove the last wax job, contaminants etc use simple green when you wash. Of course you will need to rewax the vehicle, but it will remove all the remaining wax. Also, one of the best ways to keep swirls out of your paint is to use Micro Fiber towels when you dry, remove wax, and clean your truck. You can get Micro fiber towels dirt cheap at Sams. They come in about a 20 pack. Pick up a few packs and use them anytime you touch your truck. You won't regret it. I've used microfiber for 7 years or better and haven't had swirl issues since. Hope this helps.

Old 11-01-2007, 05:30 PM
Originally Posted by s2krn
You have to be carefull using dish detergent when washing your car bc many of them have a fine grit that can put fine scratches in your paint.
Well, yes, but I think he will use Dawn. NOTE TO ALL: Stay away from powdered detergents.

If you want something to remove the last wax job, contaminants etc use simple green when you wash.
STRONGLY DISAGREED. Dawn will take care of it, as will clay, and MANY other products that are MUCH less caustic to the clearcoat. For contaminates, clay is about the only way to lift those safely.

You can get Micro fiber towels dirt cheap at Sams. They come in about a 20 pack. Pick up a few packs and use them anytime you touch your truck.
Well...Though the ones from Sams are GREAT for interior, grungy stuff, wheels, etc, I do NOT reccommend them for paint. with MF, you get what you pay for. I have induced plenty of swirls by using those POS towels. However, using a quality towel, I can avoid virtually all swirling.

I highly doubt that in 7 years you dont have any swirls... Maybe I am understanding you wrong, but I have never heard of ANYONE that can do this for one year, much less 7.

Word of the wise: Meg.s Supreme Shine towels are great, as are the ADS towels (I prefer yellow...) there are MANY more places, but think quality when you buy.

Old 11-01-2007, 05:43 PM
Originally Posted by f-150sport03
Well, yes, but I think he will use Dawn. NOTE TO ALL: Stay away from powdered detergents.

STRONGLY DISAGREED. Dawn will take care of it, as will clay, and MANY other products that are MUCH less caustic to the clearcoat. For contaminates, clay is about the only way to lift those safely.

Well...Though the ones from Sams are GREAT for interior, grungy stuff, wheels, etc, I do NOT reccommend them for paint. with MF, you get what you pay for. I have induced plenty of swirls by using those POS towels. However, using a quality towel, I can avoid virtually all swirling.

I highly doubt that in 7 years you dont have any swirls... Maybe I am understanding you wrong, but I have never heard of ANYONE that can do this for one year, much less 7.

Word of the wise: Meg.s Supreme Shine towels are great, as are the ADS towels (I prefer yellow...) there are MANY more places, but think quality when you buy.
Regular liquid dish detergent can still have grit in it. Simple Green is a degreaser not a "contaminant". I mix a few ounces with a bucket of water and have had excellent results. The micro fiber towels from Sams work wonders. Both my brother and I use them. My brother had a honda civic for 12 years and used Costco or Sams micro fiber for the life of his vehicle. When he sold it the guy asked him why he repainted the car! He washed his vehicle a couple of times a week and waxed it every month. To top it off the car was Black. He does the same with his BMW and his S2000. I've used them on my g35 s2000 and Type R integra all with great results and show car shine. Don't knock it until you've tried it. You can spend a lot more if you want to, but they work great.

Old 11-01-2007, 05:50 PM
[QUOTE=f-150sport03]

QUOTE]

I meant exactly what I wrote. Swirls are caused by debris being moved around on the paint or by using towels or rags that are abrasive. If you don't use these items you will not have problems. If I get a swirl or mark in the paint from brushing against it or something of that nature; after washing and waxing the vehicle the swirls are gone. Maybe your MF towels aren't as good as the one's from Sams! I highly doubt I would take advice from someone who can't keep swirls out of their paint for no more than a year!

Old 11-01-2007, 11:36 PM
I meant exactly what I wrote. Swirls are caused by debris being moved around on the paint or by using towels or rags that are abrasive. If you don't use these items you will not have problems. If I get a swirl or mark in the paint from brushing against it or something of that nature; after washing and waxing the vehicle the swirls are gone. Maybe your MF towels aren't as good as the one's from Sams! I highly doubt I would take advice from someone who can't keep swirls out of their paint for no more than a year!
everytime you touch your paint, you are protecting it (wax/sealant), removing defects (polish/compound) or Damaging it (EVERYthing else)

the microfiber towels from Sam's are far, far from the top of the heap. period .. usually they won't pass the CD test new, and especially after a few washes.

Waxing does not remove swirls. It can hide them, but it doesn't remove them. If you wash your car twice a week, and only wax it, you have defects. period.

Old 11-01-2007, 11:42 PM
Originally Posted by Gipraw
everytime you touch your paint, you are protecting it (wax/sealant), removing defects (polish/compound) or Damaging it (EVERYthing else)

the microfiber towels from Sam's are far, far from the top of the heap. period .. usually they won't pass the CD test new, and especially after a few washes.

Waxing does not remove swirls. It can hide them, but it doesn't remove them. If you wash your car twice a week, and only wax it, you have defects. period.
Yawn.....I got a tad lost in this thread, but I have to echo Gip here...the MF from Sams, Wallly world and the like are not even worthy of touching my wheels. No offense to anyone. But after you use good quality MF's you'll soon realize just how bad the cheapos are.

Old 11-02-2007, 01:08 AM
Regular liquid dish detergent can still have grit in it.
No, it cant. At least not Original Dawn, which I specifically referenced. Some other ones do, but the one I specifically stated does NOT have ANY abrasives in it. It uses its high pH (ie: very alkaline) to lift particles off of surfaces. That is the basic principle behind surfactants, which are almost always basic...

Simple Green is a degreaser not a "contaminant".
I never said it was a contaminate. I know its a degreaser, thats why I like it for engine bays. I said it would NOT lift contaminates like clay will. Pay attention.

The micro fiber towels from Sams work wonders.
Yeah, for dusting off my dash, cleaning my room, and cleaning leather seats, but thats about it.

When he sold it the guy asked him why he repainted the car!
People ask me that every week, and I have never resprayed my truck. Not everybody has the trained eye a detailer does. They see shine and think new paint.

He washed his vehicle a couple of times a week and waxed it every month. To top it off the car was Black.
Agreed with Gip here. He HAS swirls. Face it. You just obviously dont know what swirls are if you cant see them in black.

He does the same with his BMW and his S2000. I've used them on my g35 s2000 and Type R integra all
Who cares what kinds of cars he does this to? Paint is paint for the most part. Unless you are dealing with something that is an unconventional coating (powdercoat, soft clear coats, color coat only, etc), than its still a virtually identical process anyway...
with great results and show car shine.
Have you ever seen a winning show car? Not a ricer show car, but a REAL show car, where even the doorjambs are polished and waxed, and you cant find a speck of dirt anywhere... I think you havent, because to say show car shine implies that it is 100% free of swirls, NO imperfections, no streaking, no hazing, deep color, just the right amount of gloss, and wet looking. You simply can NOT get that by washing 2x weekly and waxing once a month.

Don't knock it until you've tried it. You can spend a lot more if you want to, but they work great.
I have tried it. I own about 24 of them (yes, from Sams). They are REALLY handy for grunge jobs. In fact, I just used one the other day to clean up an engine bay... Thats about all I trust them for. (NOTE: I also own nicer ones for touching the paint)

I agree with Gip on the CD test on this one, too.

Listen, man, you OBVIOUSLY dont know as much as you think. Get a clue. And while you are picking my response apart later on, I encourage you to troll around and do some searches about these things. And most importantly, go find the swirls on your car. They are there.

after washing and waxing the vehicle the swirls are gone
WHAT??? Washing does NOT fill swirls nor remove them. Waxing doesnt either. You REALLY need to go do your homework, bud. Before you go posting stupid crap like this, you need to realize that there are people here who need to learn this right, and you are far from it. You are basically leading them down a road of destruction, so stop. There are those of us here that are always trying to help people to understand, and we base our posts off of YEARS of knowledge, chemistry, physics, etc. I know that RP knows a TON about the way the chemicals themselves work on paint (I am getting there), there are the physics gurus that can describe exactly what happens (that one is me), and there are those that have been professional detailers (Gipraw) who KNOW what they are talking about, and have the pictures to prove it.

Since I am tired, I am stopping here... In the mean time, I suggest you go read a few detailing books before you post again. Goodnight.

Oh, BTW, if you decide you want to learn the proper ways to detail a car, read around here. Or even ask, rather than tell. You will notice that there is a plethora of information here. Glean from it. Absorb it. Pontificate over it for a trifle, for your posts are not well recieved.

Old 11-02-2007, 09:31 AM
I'm merely replying to someones question on a post. You have your opinion on car care and I have mine. Surely you have 50+ years of "professional" car care under your belt right? The point is you will never see any of my cars in person bc we will never meet. So we can go back and forth and get absolutely nowhere. Dispute it as you may when I wash and wax my vehicle properly there are no swirls; whether they are still there as you say, does it matter if you can't see them? I don't care if there is a a big hairy butt painted on the side of my car if noone can see it.
Since you state that my methods are horrible I'm going to have to believe you and completely change everything I've ever done because you say so. Who knew I was in the dark for so long and to think my "show car" shine was merely an illusion. I've been kidding myself for too long and you have brought it to my attention. Thank you for your enlightening.
I'm going to go read up on all your car care tips and change my ways. I can't believe all those swirls and imperfections have been hiding from me for so long only to be told the truth by Grasshopper. THANK YOU!! Please teach me more!

Quick Reply: Questions on detail this weekend