3M Finesse-It

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 06:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3M Finesse-It

I had a conversation with a co-worker today and he asked that I look into this stuff. I googled it, but mostly what I found were vendors, not reviews.

I searched this forum, there were a few posts about the product(s) but all the threads are 2-3 years old.

Any thoughts, comments, "flame the noob" responses?

Old 10-30-2007, 07:01 PM
Honestly, never heard of it. I am not a fan of the 3M products (I have used a few of them, but by no means any huge #), but others swear by them. I guess your best bet would be to search Google or autopia if you dont get the response frm here you want.

Good luck!

Old 10-30-2007, 07:39 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've used it in the past when that's all I had to work with. It worked fine for me.

Old 10-30-2007, 08:00 PM
well i will speak up about it...i find it to be the best stuff out there. but some here are weekenders only and think i might use stuff that most do not. i only use rotary.

when i say the best it means the best compounds and finishing product line for making a finish as slick smooth and swirl free as possible...3m wax is nothing....it is a finish only....not a final step.

it is sold in 32 oz sizes and larger. not alot of people want to get "that involved" with buying that much product.

so in short 3m is for the finish only, it is not it....find quality wax and appy by hand after compound then machine glaze is done with 3m...might need a second compound and two more pads if you are doing more than just keeping a nice car nice.

if very minor swirls...machine glaze with two, possible one pad...then ultrafina with ultrafina pad for finish....good to go

Old 10-30-2007, 10:48 PM
I have always used the 3m perfect it to prep the paint, like it better than using a clay bar. I was not very impressed with it on my new truck. I am wondering if the bottle I have is old, it is stored indoors? You can get the 3M product in smaller sizes. I am getting ready to make the switch to a DA and try some new products.

Old 10-30-2007, 11:02 PM
Originally Posted by quicktsi
I have always used the 3m perfect it to prep the paint, like it better than using a clay bar.
You should use both. They do far different things. Clay lifts out contaminants, polish abrades the surface to make it perfectly flat. This combination is called the "prep work", and doing it properly is CRUCIAL to having the best success in detailing.

Old 10-30-2007, 11:20 PM
Originally Posted by SleepyMax
I had a conversation with a co-worker today and he asked that I look into this stuff. I googled it, but mostly what I found were vendors, not reviews.

I searched this forum, there were a few posts about the product(s) but all the threads are 2-3 years old.

Any thoughts, comments, "flame the noob" responses?
OVER RATTED....chit wrong thread.

Where he heck did I put that bourbon..?

Old 10-31-2007, 07:34 AM
Originally Posted by RollingRock
OVER RATTED....

meant to be a joke or not, he is new and asked a honest question

ok sleepymax i will help you out...dont post anything that does not have to do with how great meguiars or a porter cable da is and you will be ok....

and oh yeah take all of the photos that you post of the car in the shade...and pat your self on the back and say look no swirls and no orange peel

go to where people make a living doing this stuff, where it has to look good to get paid. they use rotarys (not cheapo harbor freight one or single speed sears ones that should be an angle grinder) and they sling 3M compounds.

Old 10-31-2007, 07:43 AM
Originally Posted by troberts6874
meant to be a joke or not, he is new and asked a honest question

ok sleepymax i will help you out...dont post anything that does not have to do with how great meguiars or a porter cable da is and you will be ok....

and oh yeah take all of the photos that you post of the car in the shade...and pat your self on the back and say look no swirls and no orange peel

go to where people make a living doing this stuff, where it has to look good to get paid. they use rotarys (not cheapo harbor freight one or single speed sears ones that should be an angle grinder) and they sling 3M compounds.
Lighten up Troberts. Your subtle shots across the bow aren't going to win you friendships. You also appear to be new and since you are, you missed an "over rated thread" over the last few days.

Ryan answered the question.

Tap the brakes a little.

Old 10-31-2007, 07:50 AM
yes i am new...since 2002!!!!! i did see the overrated thread, but it wasnt posted there...i did tap the brakes, you just got brake checked

you dont have to post 50 times a day to know what you are talking about....i post when a post is warranted and i have knowledge and someing to add, not just for the hell of it

Old 10-31-2007, 08:55 AM
<snip>
WTF??? First off, you are not the authority on this. Neither am I, or any other person here. It is all personal preference. So get over your ego-- you are NOT better than anyone here. Maybe more knowledgeable in one specific area, but at least everyone else has forum etiquitte, courtesy, the ability to speak to people, and EVERYONE knows not to be a ***** like you. Second off, I am a stauch supporter of Poorboys, Collinite, and MANY other brands. So are many of the others, especially the big names (ie: RP, Gip, D&D, RR, etc... ) We ALL have products other than Megs that ew absolutely LOVE. As for the DA, I think you need to do your research. For one, there are a LOT of us that usually detail by hand. I did a detail on an Xterra all by hand with A-line products specifically to show those without the funding for a DA that it can be done very effectively, but you end up spending a LOT more time and have sore arms.
The reason why we all speak so well about our DAs is because we like the added benefits that you get, like speed, increased heat to break down products, not having sore arms, etc. A D/A is a VERY effective and SAFE tool that almost anyone can purchase and master quickly and without fear for burning the paint.
Lets not forget that one of the big jokes here is that we all opted for the FMC addon of the Orange Peel Edition... We take the shots we do to hide it so that it looks better, yes, but it is understood that all of us have it. As for the shade, dont forget that we all dont have a shop to work in, so by the time we finish, it is usually shady or dark. But, if you notice, my detailing venture last weekend had a TON of sunny/lighted shots. Most of the pics we show are like that. But sometimes, its not about the swirls. Occasionally, I like just seeing what the glossy paint looks like... Again, personal preference. Besides, I find that the pictures are less impressive with the sun on them, even if they are swirl free.
Good thing there are a couple here that do make a living doing this stuff. Also, a rotary is a great tool, yes, but it is not good to reccommend to someone that doesnt know a wax from a polish. Start small. Lets not forget that this is a forum geared mainly towards the weekend warrior, so a rotary is WAY overkill. There are a few here that have one, and I want one, but they arent really necessary for us. Have fun slinging your product around, by the way, because I was always trained to spread the product so as to not sling it, therefore I dont waste it.

Let me finish with this: You need to do all the following:
1. Get a life-- you obviously live in a microcosm of 3M and rotary use
2. Get over your ego-- your opinion is NOT more valid than ANYONE else's
3. Lighten up-- you certainly are not helping this forum
4. I suggest you leave. Or at least go under the radar for a while.
5. You remind me of a HS freshman: Stupid, arrogant, and taking blind shots into stuff you have no business saying. Had you been participating all the time you have "been here" (since you post around 20x a year-- once every 2 weeks), we *might* have considered listening to you. But no, since you read everything at the surface and dont mesh with anyone on this board (I have already hear more than one complaint about you), I suggest taking a trip to autogeek, where you can only talk about products they sell and have to be one of the 15 or so tha run it in order to get heard. Have fun, just not here.

RP-- if I am out of line here, feel free to edit/delete. Sorry if this is a problem, but I see this guy as a problem. Thanks!

Old 10-31-2007, 10:24 AM
What the HELL

Originally Posted by f-150sport03
WTF??? First off, you are not the authority on this. Neither am I, or any other person here. It is all personal preference. So get over your ego-- you are NOT better than anyone here. Maybe more knowledgeable in one specific area, but at least everyone else has forum etiquitte, courtesy, the ability to speak to people, and EVERYONE knows not to be a ***** like you. Second off, I am a stauch supporter of Poorboys, Collinite, and MANY other brands. So are many of the others, especially the big names (ie: RP, Gip, D&D, RR, etc... ) We ALL have products other than Megs that ew absolutely LOVE. As for the DA, I think you need to do your research. For one, there are a LOT of us that usually detail by hand. I did a detail on an Xterra all by hand with A-line products specifically to show those without the funding for a DA that it can be done very effectively, but you end up spending a LOT more time and have sore arms.
The reason why we all speak so well about our DAs is because we like the added benefits that you get, like speed, increased heat to break down products, not having sore arms, etc. A D/A is a VERY effective and SAFE tool that almost anyone can purchase and master quickly and without fear for burning the paint.
Lets not forget that one of the big jokes here is that we all opted for the FMC addon of the Orange Peel Edition... We take the shots we do to hide it so that it looks better, yes, but it is understood that all of us have it. As for the shade, dont forget that we all dont have a shop to work in, so by the time we finish, it is usually shady or dark. But, if you notice, my detailing venture last weekend had a TON of sunny/lighted shots. Most of the pics we show are like that. But sometimes, its not about the swirls. Occasionally, I like just seeing what the glossy paint looks like... Again, personal preference. Besides, I find that the pictures are less impressive with the sun on them, even if they are swirl free.

Good thing there are a couple here that do make a living doing this stuff. Also, a rotary is a great tool, yes, but it is not good to reccommend to someone that doesnt know a wax from a polish. Start small. Lets not forget that this is a forum geared mainly towards the weekend warrior, so a rotary is WAY overkill. There are a few here that have one, and I want one, but they arent really necessary for us. Have fun slinging your product around, by the way, because I was always trained to spread the product so as to not sling it, therefore I dont waste it.

Let me finish with this: You need to do all the following:
1. Get a life-- you obviously live in a microcosm of 3M and rotary use
2. Get over your ego-- your opinion is NOT more valid than ANYONE else's
3. Lighten up-- you certainly are not helping this forum
4. I suggest you leave. Or at least go under the radar for a while.
5. You remind me of a HS freshman: Stupid, arrogant, and taking blind shots into stuff you have no business saying. Had you been participating all the time you have "been here" (since you post around 20x a year-- once every 2 weeks), we *might* have considered listening to you. But no, since you read everything at the surface and dont mesh with anyone on this board (I have already hear more than one complaint about you), I suggest taking a trip to autogeek, where you can only talk about products they sell and have to be one of the 15 or so tha run it in order to get heard. Have fun, just not here.

RP-- if I am out of line here, feel free to edit/delete. Sorry if this is a problem, but I see this guy as a problem. Thanks!

What the hell is this? It sounds like the political debates. RR and RP and others thanks for the weekend warrior info. I have just had a friend take his truck to a shop they used a rotary on it and screwed it up, I asked RR for info to fix this and it worked so thanks. The guy that used the rotary was open to give it all a try and not closed minded to what others had to say and he new he did not know everything there is about this stuff. In my job you have to look at all the option not just yours or you could hit the ground very hard and fast.
RR nice weather in TX

Old 10-31-2007, 11:04 AM
yes i am new...since 2002!!!!! i did see the overrated thread, but it wasnt posted there...i did tap the brakes, you just got brake checked

you dont have to post 50 times a day to know what you are talking about....i post when a post is warranted and i have knowledge and someing to add, not just for the hell of it

Funny. Just an FYI, SleepyMax is not so new around here as you claim...he is very active in the GD and he knows my humor. Sorry you didn't get it. I see you are more active in the GD area also.

As for photos in the shade. They are to show gloss and depth and over all finish. But you already knew that.

Taken from your gallery

You do good work I have seen it. Lets be a tad more cautious with the subtle insults.

Brake check me and you'll get the wall.

Old 10-31-2007, 11:10 AM
Originally Posted by FALCON50EX

What the hell is this? It sounds like the political debates. RR and RP and others thanks for the weekend warrior info. I have just had a friend take his truck to a shop they used a rotary on it and screwed it up, I asked RR for info to fix this and it worked so thanks. The guy that used the rotary was open to give it all a try and not closed minded to what others had to say and he new he did not know everything there is about this stuff. In my job you have to look at all the option not just yours or you could hit the ground very hard and fast.
RR nice weather in TX
Sorry I didn't get to come out yesterday....wanted to see the bird. (got my military times all messed up....)

Today is going to be the best of the week, the Trick or Treater's are getting nice weather tonight.

As for the debates, yeah we all think what we know is best....of course I am the smartest one here. (sarcasm disclaimer...FYI, that is a joke) F150Sport is the one who wrote the Sticky that is being revised by the elders.

Old 10-31-2007, 12:43 PM
above post is not my pic...it is another from this site...

Quick Reply: 3M Finesse-It