Help! Scratched into clearcoat. What to use?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 10:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! Scratched into clearcoat. What to use?

Okay so I was backing out of my driveway fri. night when it was raining, and ended up rubbing up against our brick column at the end of our driveway. After shedding a tear and almost sh**ting myself i ran out examined the damage and my heart sank . Brand new '07 and already damage. So Sat. morning got up and went on to F150online.com and began searching. Couldn't really get a definitive answer to my kind of damage so I went to local auto parts store and bought some rubbing compound. it took away almost all of the scratch. I still have some deeper scratches in the clear coat. It does not go into the color. I've applied about 4-5 coats of the rubbing compound to try and get the rest of the scratch out but it's not removing anymore of the scratch. Compound I'm using is the turtle wax premium rubbing compound that comes in a paste. I have no machines so any suggestions i would need to do by hand. Anything more abrasive I can use other than taking it to a detailer with a DA? I've read people using 2000 grit sandpaper but many recommend against it. Others say try Meguiars #2 or #1.

Compound I used http://www.turtlewax.com/main.taf?p=2,1,4,23

The Damage:

Old 10-18-2007, 10:34 PM
Last Pic:

Old 10-18-2007, 11:47 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Ouch! That TW Rubbing Compound is actually taking off more of the clear coat... That stuff is like 2500 grit wet sand paper.

Old 10-19-2007, 12:12 AM
Sorry about that, but the good news, it doesn't look too bad

What do you have to use?

DA, products etc? Please tell us and we'll get this knocked out for you.

First pass for easy treating, run off to any store and pick up some Megs ScratchX.

use with a MF towel...by hand is ok, you want to create pressure and heat on the area. Make sure its clean first.

Again, tell us what you are working with product wise?

To make you feel better look at this, work backward from the last photos
http://s188.photobucket.com/albums/z...ckTX/John%20Z/

You may not get all of it but you will get most of it with good ol ScratchX

JP

Old 10-19-2007, 03:53 AM
well i started with some NuFinish Scratch Doctor and that got most of it off. i did about 3 applications of that until i didnt see any improvement. all of this was done with a MF towel. than moved on to the turtle wax compound for another couple applications i used a soft terry for that. as far as products i can go out and get some meg's scratchx, but wouldnt something a lil more abrasive be needed? I don't have a DA so everything I would need to do would be by hand. can put in the time and buy any other /products i would need except i wouldnt be able to invest in a DA just yet. really dont have any other products but if i need to buy somethin i'll go out and get it.

Old 10-19-2007, 10:02 AM
Originally Posted by cgndhhh
well i started with some NuFinish Scratch Doctor and that got most of it off. i did about 3 applications of that until i didnt see any improvement. all of this was done with a MF towel. than moved on to the turtle wax compound for another couple applications i used a soft terry for that. as far as products i can go out and get some meg's scratchx, but wouldnt something a lil more abrasive be needed? I don't have a DA so everything I would need to do would be by hand. can put in the time and buy any other /products i would need except i wouldnt be able to invest in a DA just yet. really dont have any other products but if i need to buy somethin i'll go out and get it.
Thanks for the reply, as for what is left, is through to the base coat or metal? I doesn't appear to be from the photo...can you feel it with your fingernail?

If you don't want to invest in a DA, then you need to take to a detailer and have it buffed out. But if you wanted to get a DA, now is a good time.

If this were my truck and my paint and it wasn't through the clear. I would try this:

Using a DA, try the SX again with a cut pad.
If that doesn't work, use a Red Megs pad and something with heavy cut in it. PoorBoys SSR3 or Optimum Hyper Compound, Megs #80 with multiple passes

After that, you may get micro marring or dulling affect from the heavy cut, so you have to polish that out with something less abrasive.

Or, find someone who knows how to use a High Speed or wetsand it out.

Old 10-19-2007, 10:21 AM
Thanks so much for ur help RR. I really hate the thought of anyone working on my truck. I'm gonna search on these forums for advice/how-to's and recommendations for a decent DA and see if I can pick one up in a week or two. As it is now, the scratch looks to be only on the clear. I can't feel the scracthes with my fingernail. I'll report back once I do some more research. And get a list of what I am gonna b ordering. Also I was gonna ask if you could send me the 18pg. detailing Bible my email is CGND at AOL dot COM.

Old 10-19-2007, 10:37 AM
Originally Posted by cgndhhh
Thanks so much for ur help RR. I really hate the thought of anyone working on my truck. I'm gonna search on these forums for advice/how-to's and recommendations for a decent DA and see if I can pick one up in a week or two. As it is now, the scratch looks to be only on the clear. I can't feel the scracthes with my fingernail. I'll report back once I do some more research. And get a list of what I am gonna b ordering. Also I was gonna ask if you could send me the 18pg. detailing Bible my email is CGND at AOL dot COM.
if you cannot feel them...you should be in good shape, you will need a heavy cut pad and polish with lots of cut.

Personally I have had amazing results using the Red Megs Pad and Poorboys SSR for really deep markings. After that, you would want to polish over that spot with something less abrasivel, like PB SSR1 followed buy pure polish or polish with sealer or carnuba. Then wax.

I cannot send you the doc until later today, I am at my office and don't ahve that doc on my lap top.

JP

PS EDIT, a decent DA is the PC 7424 or its sister the G100.

Old 10-19-2007, 02:46 PM
Originally Posted by RollingRock
if you cannot feel them...you should be in good shape, you will need a heavy cut pad and polish with lots of cut..

Ok, I am a noob so help with exactly what you mean by CUT? I am guessing abrasive of some sort?

Old 10-19-2007, 03:22 PM
Originally Posted by jmm4879
Ok, I am a noob so help with exactly what you mean by CUT? I am guessing abrasive of some sort?
Yes the abrasiveness of the polish is referred to as Cut. Same with the pads.

A finish pad is very soft...cut pads or polish pads are not as soft.

Meg's makes it really simple by putting the number of cut right on the bottle.

Its almost another language sometimes. Stick with it, it will make sense soon.

Old 10-19-2007, 05:39 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
FYI --

The clear on the flares and such is **MUCH THINNER** than the factory paint (hence, they come pre-painted (as I understand it).

Be careful really 'cutting' into to it.

My suggestion... light passes, patience, and more patience.

If it looks like you're getting a tad of color on your pad, BACK OFF!

Old 10-22-2007, 03:57 PM
In my honest opinion...if you take it to a detailer he will need to prep the area clean, clay etc and then begin working and probably wont do it for even close to free so i would suggest if you can just go ahead and bite the bullet and get the DA yourself and then you can use it for detailing in the future..since your truck is an 07 keep on top of stuff if at all possible and you will have great paint..just my .02

I do understand though that it is a decent sized investment and money doesnt grow on trees eh? lol good luck

Quick Reply: Help! Scratched into clearcoat. What to use?